Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 767298 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9870 on: December 16, 2014, 10:28:46 am »

'Jeb Bush is exploring the possibility of a 2016 presidential run'

Um..... no thanks, we don't need the third republican president in a row to be of the same family, give others a chance! *gives Jeb Bush the boot*

I have a feeling that the republican field will be as crowded as it was the last two times anyways.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: December 16, 2014, 10:34:32 am »

Don't worry, we have plenty of reasons beyond dynasty building to object to jeb running anything. There was this whole florida governorship thing that gave bucketfulls of reasons why the bugger shouldn't run anything more complex than a broken model train.

Did I mention the country's educational facilities spontaneously self-immolating? Pretty sure I did. That's one of them.

Remember: A vote for Jeb is a vote for your children dying in a fire. Don't have kids? That's okay! He's so terrible he'll cause you to retroactively autoimpregnate and enroll your unholy progeny in school.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:38:01 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:23 am »

Yeah, having both father and son (one of his sons anyway) be president isn't without precedent since theres at least one example, the Adamses, and no I'm not talking about Toady One and Three Toe.

If only the third (and fourth and fifth and so on) parties were actually able to make it in our political system, that'd be great.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: December 16, 2014, 10:55:03 am »

You know, I would've expected that after Father and Son the Unholy Bush Spirit would take office.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:21 am »

You know, I would've expected that after Father and Son the Unholy Bush Spirit would take office.

Lol, good one.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: December 16, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

Hey, there's always room for President Cheney.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9876 on: December 16, 2014, 04:12:54 pm »

*recoils in horror*

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: December 16, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »

Cheney is a walking catastrophic heart attack waiting to happen though, voting for Cheney would be the same as voting his VP for president.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: December 16, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »

Remember, a vote for Vermin Supreme is a vote wasted.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: December 16, 2014, 04:59:51 pm »

B-but that was two years ago!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: December 16, 2014, 05:00:48 pm »

Or that 'THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!' guy with the cool beard style several election cycles back.

Really though, it would be great if serious third party candidates actually had a chance, that way a vote for a third party candidate (whether they're a serious candidate or not) won't be a throwaway vote.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9881 on: December 16, 2014, 05:05:34 pm »

Cheney is a walking catastrophic heart attack waiting to happen though, voting for Cheney would be the same as voting his VP for president.

That already happened. Now he has an artificial heart with no beat, which is oddly fitting.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: December 16, 2014, 08:00:04 pm »

Sorry for my late answer, I only saw your post now. You'll find Nixon's order (the one that matter) here.

First, let me add that this plan isn't especially complicated or clever : the USSR was the number one oil producer at the time, and it was producing so much to pay its bills. Both fact were not hard to find, and it's rather logical that cutting its revenue would cause a lot of trouble.
This unsettles me as OPEC, which Saudi Arabia was a part of, actually increased prices for some time, which makes me question how much control the US had over them

My hypotethis doesn't require a lot of control. None in fact : the communists were threathening the very fundation of the Saudi, Quatari... power, and I cannot imagine that they (the Saudi) took the fall of the Sha of Iran lightly. They needed an answer and they needed it quickly.

That's more then you cite, because you don't cite.

I don't cite because I have nothing to cite. I noticed that the USSR felt mostly because of the fall of crude oil price, and most importantly now that we need Russia weakened again, the oil prices fall again. I dug a bit, saw that it was mostly the US allie's doing and that they were supported and protected no matter what ever since. I then came to the conclusion that it was probably deliberate, since it was easy to plan and easy to implement.

I can easilly imagine any think thank coming up with that plan. It may have been an accident, but I don't think so.
Easy to plan and implement is not the standard by which we prove that something actually happened, it's how we prove it could have happened. How would you know that it would even occur to the US to use Oil prices? Look, have you ever wondered why bicycles originally had extremely unequal wheel sizes, instead of the obviously more reasonable way we have them now? Because hindsight is 20-20. Your only proof is based on truthiness: on the fact that it feels right. Please, I am not so smart, I must have things explained out to me. Let us just say that I don't see your point. I'm simply not smart enough to understand you. Could you, for my benefit, explain why you are probably right?

Or that 'THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!' guy with the cool beard style several election cycles back.

Really though, it would be great if serious third party candidates actually had a chance, that way a vote for a third party candidate (whether they're a serious candidate or not) won't be a throwaway vote.
Why would a third party vote matter? I mean think about it: you'd still have to vote for someone who has the resources and broad popularity to actually win, or by damn you will always be throwing your vote away, just for a new name.

I've been thinking more about this whole three-party thing, and honestly I don't see that three parties is inherently better in any way. America went through its best and worst times with two serious parties (except the civil war, they had more parties; Great time for america too), and I don't see how jamming some other one would fix anything; that is to say, I doubt some magical surge in the Constitution or Green parties, or some great split in the Democratic or Republican parties, would somehow fix America, the political system, the world, and/or anything. Convince me Bay12.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »

It's not the absence of a third party, it's the fact that the system prevents third parties from rising. Just look at Europe if you want to see a couple of alternatives.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:02 pm »

I've been thinking more about this whole three-party thing, and honestly I don't see that three parties is inherently better in any way. America went through its best and worst times with two serious parties (except the civil war, they had more parties; Great time for america too), and I don't see how jamming some other one would fix anything; that is to say, I doubt some magical surge in the Constitution or Green parties, or some great split in the Democratic or Republican parties, would somehow fix America, the political system, the world, and/or anything. Convince me Bay12.

Because they wouldn't be establishment Democrat or Republican.  People want an alternative to the two major parties, because they're fed up with the horrible things that both Democrats and Republicans mutually support (surveillance/police state/environmental destruction/class warfare).  The vast majority of people that I ever talk to about politics only vote for the major parties because each side gets the other so emotional and fear-stricken over social issues. 

Edit:
Ok, there's also a major divide over pure capitalism vs public safety net, but even when conservative/liberal may agree with their respective party's economic stances in principle, in my experience it's still widely acknowledged that we're being sold out by both sides regardless of the principles they preach.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:36:23 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 667