Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 754579 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: XXV HORAE Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3405 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:31 pm »

It's sad that the remaining great proof- insofar as there is evidence left- that democracy and the candidate selection process can still be taken back by voters from wealthy interests with large pocketbooks is a ragtag band of neo-fascist reactionaries.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »

They have invested themselves so much into defeating Obamacare (and *have* to, since they've drummed it up to be on par with sending Jews to the concentration camps)

Caught a bit of CNN in the break room at work the other day, and was treated to a black surgeon talking about how Obamacare is the worst thing to happen in America since the institution of slavery...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Plus, literally every special interest group and their Mom has mobilized their armies to prevent a Default. Wall Street in particular is distressed.
And yet, despite the fact that there's enough political pressure on Congress to make them start shitting diamonds....we are still at an impasse. Because the Tea Party is immune to pressure. They have invested themselves so much into defeating Obamacare (and *have* to, since they've drummed it up to be on par with sending Jews to the concentration camps) that no other incentives or disincentives matter.

I'll say it again -- the uber-rich created a monster and it got away from them. They can kill it (and probably will) November 2014 by starving it of funding. But they can't stop it until then.

Can we make a comparison between Doctor Frankenstein and his monster yet? I hear they're weak against pitchforks and flaming torches.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »

It's sad that the remaining great proof- insofar as there is evidence left- that democracy and the candidate selection process can still be taken back by voters from wealthy interests with large pocketbooks is a ragtag band of neo-fascist reactionaries.
But can it really? Everybody hates the Tea Party. They're a minor blip on the political spectrum if they die in the next few years, which they probably will. I'd say they're a great failure.
They have invested themselves so much into defeating Obamacare (and *have* to, since they've drummed it up to be on par with sending Jews to the concentration camps)

Caught a bit of CNN in the break room at work the other day, and was treated to a black surgeon talking about how Obamacare is the worst thing to happen in America since the institution of slavery...
I've heard at least one person say Obamacare is a plan to enact a genocide against black Americans via abortion.

Now, you'd think that Obama probably wouldn't have such a motive, but...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »

But can it really? Everybody hates the Tea Party. They're a minor blip on the political spectrum if they die in the next few years, which they probably will. I'd say they're a great failure.

I've heard at least one person say Obamacare is a plan to enact a genocide against black Americans via abortion.

Now, you'd think that Obama probably wouldn't have such a motive, but...
But he IS half-white. You know you can't trust us conniving crackers.

I do think the conspiracy theories and hyperbole about our 44th President will keep historians and political scientists busy for decades afterwards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure every president is subject to the same.

How many wackos thought Bush was behind 9/11? Or that Clinton was a bad president?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: October 15, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »

Or that Clinton was a bad president?

Does being a bad president count as a conspiracy?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

But he IS half-white. You know you can't trust us conniving crackers.
You've got a point. Sometimes I find myself awake at night, watching my roommate. Thinking about all that melatonin in his cells. How his skull structure is visibly different but functionally identical to mine. Pondering how we should all be like me, the solution can only be in spilling blood, yes, murde-

Excuse me, I forgot to take my southern white man tolerance pills this morning. My god, I even put on my tacky suit without realizing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:26 pm »

Or that Clinton was a bad president?

Does being a bad president count as a conspiracy?
When they're a good one, why not?

(note: I'm not 100% serious here)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

I question if they can. The Tea Party may have started as astroturf puppet, but with enough true believers even the most hollow movement can become a real grassroots boy. Especially considering at least some of those true believers are now congressmen.

Unlikely to apply in this case. The "true believers" in the Tea Party generally aren't in it because of deep personal beliefs or prejudices the way the Know Nothings, KKK, and similar movements were. The Tea Party machine is kept fueled by an endless supply of propaganda catered to exploit deep fears (such as the NRA's bullshit machine, the "Death Panels" garbage, or the Birther movement), but the "true believers have fairly loose agreement on basic policies, and there's no One Big Issue to hold them together the way Immigrants and Blacks were in the past. Cut that propaganda lifeline, and the movement will die, particularly since the bulk of the group is in the higher age brackets and is less adept with the use of the internet as an idea machine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: DUO Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3415 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure every president is subject to the same.

How many wackos thought Bush was behind 9/11? Or that Clinton was a bad president?
But those are universally regarded as such. These people are politically powerful. The Entirety of the Tea-Party movement is a direct action against Obama, personally, and anything and all he stands for. He is the physical incarnation of Big Bad Government, and they have been essentially in a different world then us, one where Obama pushed aside weak-willed Republicans and Democrats and established his own personal dynasty, and imposes his vision of the world more firmly with each passing day.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 15, 2013, 10:49:22 pm »

-snip-
I know, misko27, I know. I just... I get so nostalgic for the days when politicians were merely amoral conniving bastards, rather than bugbrain crazy. Remember Watergate? Good clean fun. We were so innocent, then.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:14 pm »

You've got a point. Sometimes I find myself awake at night, watching my roommate. Thinking about all that melatonin in his cells. How his skull structure is visibly different but functionally identical to mine. Pondering how we should all be like me, the solution can only be in spilling blood, yes, murde-

Excuse me, I forgot to take my southern white man tolerance pills this morning. My god, I even put on my tacky suit without realizing it.
Siggitied.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:29 pm »

As an entirely irrelevant aside, I'll just note that when I was in Brazil, I told my biology teacher that I had learned in American public school that the Earth was six thousand years old, and asked why, if all these animals had really existed, nobody had ever found their birth certificates.

I also once gave a presentation on the War of Northern Aggression. I was a terrible person, but nobody ever seemed to pick up on the fact that the American vision I was selling was a half-coherent pastiche of Jack Kerouac and World Net Daily.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: DUO Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3419 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:00 pm »

they have been essentially in a different world then us, one where Obama pushed aside weak-willed Republicans and Democrats and established his own personal dynasty, and imposes his vision of the world more firmly with each passing day.

I was already thinking about Kurgan because of what I just posted in the sad thread.  Then I read this, and immediately began associating this song with Obama... somehow I'm stuck on this now and having way too much fun with it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 667