Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 663

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 567410 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6465 on: April 10, 2014, 12:56:11 pm »

Well, if it's BLM land I don't know why the state should have anything to say.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6466 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:25 pm »

Well, if it's BLM land I don't know why the state should have anything to say.
Tortoises, heritage, Bechtel and Brightsource Energy e.t.c.
Also something about it being public land under Nevadan jurisdiction. I can't find much about that that's not from the ranchers yet, so that's on standstill.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: April 10, 2014, 01:05:00 pm »

Still, it seems like a very expensive way to remove cattle.

Yes it is an expensive way to enforce the law but they don't appear to have any cheaper options.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: April 10, 2014, 01:12:02 pm »

Arrest the guy? You don't need choppers and hundreds of police officers to move cattle, you need a squad car worth of cop to keep the guy in check and two cowboys on ATVs.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6469 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2013/gold-butte-08-01-2013.html
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uKBGg9sqmE0J:www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/more/trespass_cattle/history_of_trepass.print.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-aurora
This goes some way to explaining why the dispute happened in the first place.

"In 1993, some of the terms of Mr. Bundy’s grazing permit for the Bunkerville allotment were modified to protect the desert tortoise.  Mr. Bundy did not accept the offered grazing permit and subsequently stopped paying grazing fees.  The BLM then cancelled Mr. Bundy’s grazing permit but Mr. Bundy continued to graze his cattle in the Bunkerville Allotment.  A portion of the Bunkerville Allotment is National Park Service (NPS) lands which BLM managed by agreement with NPS."

"In 1997, in accordance with the Desert Tortoise Recovery Plan and the Biological Opinion released by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, active grazing permits in tortoise habitat were purchased by Clark County under the Clark County Multi-Species Habitat Conservation Program.  Mr. Bundy rejected a tentative proposal to compensate him for any stockwater rights or range improvements he might have in his former allotment."
His rights to graze his cattle on the lands were being restricted from 1993 to protect the tortoises, by 1997 they were going to stop his cattle from grazing there whether he had payed or not, hence the offered compensation. Also in the latter cache are the interesting notes behind the conflict, so it's a must read. In 1998 he was banned outright. In 1999 it was completely closed to all grazing.

Arrest the guy? You don't need choppers and hundreds of police officers to move cattle, you need a squad car worth of cop to keep the guy in check and two cowboys on ATVs.
Heck, the guy's only 67. You'd only need the cowboys and a couple of cops.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:12 pm »

Well, he got a family and employees. You don't want them messing up with the cowboys.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: April 10, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »

So arrest him without due process and then hold him hostage until his family agrees to your demands?  :-\

The court gave orders to seize the cattle, not the man.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:49 pm »

Not arrest him, but prevent him from interfering with the cattle seizue. Also, why seize the cattle rather than just order it removed? 1000 heads of cattle is a pain in the ass to seize, it's not like the government run ranches to hold the seize cattle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:37 pm »

Not arrest him, but prevent him from interfering with the cattle seizue. Also, why seize the cattle rather than just order it removed? 1000 heads of cattle is a pain in the ass to seize, it's not like the government run ranches to hold the seize cattle.

Aside from the fact that the guys in the helicopters had guns too, how is this plan different from what they did?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6474 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:49 pm »

So arrest him without due process and then hold him hostage until his family agrees to your demands?  :-\

The court gave orders to seize the cattle, not the man.
Ah, so blocking off all the roads, beating up his family and surrounding his estate with armed guards, helicopters, snipers and attack dogs is much better.
They've shown they don't give a fuck about due process, sending 4-6 guys would still have been a hell of a lot better than this de-facto martial law.

http://rt.com/usa/desert-tortoises-euthanize-nevada-024/
RIP in peace tortoises

The cattle will be sold to other privately run ranches, and the government will pocket the funds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6475 on: April 10, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »

Aside from the fact that the guys in the helicopters had guns too, how is this plan different from what they did?
Are you serious?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: April 10, 2014, 01:39:21 pm »

The man was given orders by the court to remove his cattle which he did not, right? Around here, when you ignore court orders, yes, you get arrested. Wasn't he pretty explicitly breaking the law here? Why didn't the court give orders to seize the man?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6477 on: April 10, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »

The man was given orders by the court to remove his cattle which he did not, right? Around here, when you ignore court orders, yes, you get arrested. Wasn't he pretty explicitly breaking the law here? Why didn't the court give orders to seize the man?
That is perhaps one of the most perplexing things about it. Why are they going for the man's cattle instead of the man?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:14 pm »

Court orders to evict someone and the like (y'know poor people crime) generally get you arrested.  But cease and desist orders don't often lead to arrest (y'know, rich people crime).

Are you serious?

Almost always.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:56 pm »

SEC caught colluding with the banks on CEO prosecutions
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/11/5602188/the-secs-just-been-caught-colluding-with-the-banks-its-supposed-to

Say it aint so!

Also, Vox has had like all the juicy news lately hasn't t? Vox and Vice, the news for the new millennium.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 663