Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 757143 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6600 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:43 pm »

This doesn't actually get rid of affirmative action. It just rules that the states have the right to democratically decide whether or not to allow race to be a factor in collage admissions. Whether or not that will lead to them being struck down is still a null point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »

This doesn't actually get rid of affirmative action. It just rules that the states have the right to democratically decide whether or not to allow race to be a factor in collage admissions. Whether or not that will lead to them being struck down is still a null point.

Might prove for some interesting sociological data after a few years, states that eliminated or retained AA.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »

Might prove for some interesting sociological data after a few years, states that eliminated or retained AA.
I imagine Bad Things for racial minorities for states that do, but hey, this is one thing I'd love to be proven wrong on. Affirmative action is one of those necessary evils you want to get rid of asap.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:01 pm »

From the news I've heard the states that have banned it (including California for some reason, 16 years ago even) have seen declining rates in minority attendance, so it seems not.

I am also surprised that this has not appeared here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html?_r=0
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »

While decreasing minority attendance is a problem, I've never believed that affirmative action was the way to correct that problem. A much better way would be heavy investment in the educational and family support infrastructure in minority-heavy areas (as they obviously are undersupported) combined with very strict scrutiny of the admissions process in order to ensure that minorities aren't being unfairly denied access. This would, of course, be much more difficult and expensive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:34 pm »

A much more worrying issue, to be honest, is the re-segregation of grade schools that have been happening at an alarming rate.

Of course, we also know that most of the states that are going to use this newly earned right to end affirmative action are the racist-as-fuck ones that required special laws targeting them because every time they were given an inch they used it as an excuse to shit all over blacks, disenfranchise them, kick them out of schools, and otherwise stamp them back into the dirt to prove their own superiority...

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:03 pm »

A much more worrying issue, to be honest, is the re-segregation of grade schools that have been happening at an alarming rate.

In the South, part of the issue is that blacks (African-Americans if that's offensive in your region) tend to be poorer than whites, largely due to ancestry and racism, so you see schools segregated based on how much it costs to get into them, with blacks/African-Americans being forced to go to the cheaper ones because of how much money they have.

I don't have a good idea of how it is elsewhere, since (especially in the North and Northwest areas) there are almost entirely white people and Native Americans, and then a very small amount of other ethnicities.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »

At the grade school level, this often dovetails with "natural" segregation on economic lines such as what TheDarkStar is referencing. That's why Wake County, NC (where I live) made national news a couple of years ago when its GOP-dominated school board voted to end busing and rezone schools based purely on geographic locality. Which makes perfect sense if the population were evenly distributed. It's cheaper, the schools are more tied to the local communities, etc. This also makes it easy to argue for, even if you're dogwhistling in favor of resegregation. It also inflames the debate because there are parents and advocates who genuinely ARE pushing for it with good intent and are then taken aback to be called racists.

The problem is that you have rich, white parts of town, and poor, black parts of town. Guess which parts of town are going to have better schools and more children who are well-prepared when they enter school? NC attempted to head some of that disparity off with Head Start, a pre-K program for poor and minority families to get their children up to readiness for kindergarten. Of course, the GOP legislature has all but gutted that in the last couple of years. *sigh*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: April 23, 2014, 10:29:29 pm »

In the South, part of the issue is that blacks (African-Americans if that's offensive in your region) tend to be poorer than whites, largely due to ancestry and racism, so you see schools segregated based on how much it costs to get into them, with blacks/African-Americans being forced to go to the cheaper ones because of how much money they have.

I don't have a good idea of how it is elsewhere, since (especially in the North and Northwest areas) there are almost entirely white people and Native Americans, and then a very small amount of other ethnicities.
Hmm? Did I just hear few ethnicities? I can't speak for Maine and Vermont (they're the whitest states you know), but here in NYC white people actually aren't even the majority anymore, merely a 44% plurality. Same thing though...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:35 pm »

So they're getting rid of affirmative action in prisons too, right?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: April 24, 2014, 03:39:20 am »

I'm actually split about affirmative actions. I used to oppose it, but then I read that book by Esther Dufflo about a study she did in India, where reserving a third of the village chiefs seats for women had very positive results (basically, those village that had been forced to have a woman chief were more likely to elect a woman afterward).

Now I'm in favor of it, on the condition that it's limited in time, and monitored for effectiveness in ending prejudice.

Now, as for affirmative action in college, it seems racial affirmative actions isn't the best way to do it. IIRC, Texas managed to keep minorities in college through a program offering place for the top 10% students of each high school (so poor black attending poor schools can get in too). This seems much better to me, as in addition to racial segregation you also have a lot of income segregation in the State, and this is a way to kill two birds with one stone.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: April 24, 2014, 06:08:06 am »

If the problem is an economic one, the obvious solution appears to be to switch to European-style school financing - not finance the local school via local taxes, but all the schools via all the taxes taxes from everyone.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: April 24, 2014, 06:10:55 am »

Now, as for affirmative action in college, it seems racial affirmative actions isn't the best way to do it. IIRC, Texas managed to keep minorities in college through a program offering place for the top 10% students of each high school (so poor black attending poor schools can get in too). This seems much better to me, as in addition to racial segregation you also have a lot of income segregation in the State, and this is a way to kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah and that would have been a better system, but that's not the system we are getting.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:26 am »

Thread: 'Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban'
Quote from: Auster;1483074
The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a Michigan law banning the use of racial criteria in college admissions, a key decision in an unfolding legal and political battle nationally over affirmative action.

The justices found 6-2 that a lower court did not have the authority to set aside the measure approved in a 2006 referendum supported by 58% of voters.

It bars publicly funded colleges from granting "preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin."

Justice Sonia Sotomayor reacted sharply in disagreeing with the decision.

Pick your poison:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/justice/scotus-michigan-affirmative-action/index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/22/supreme-court-upholds-michigan-affirmative-action-ban/
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/23/michigan-affirmativeaction.html

Lol @ Al Jizzera.  As always.

Have me from another site.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:27 am »

Yeah and that would have been a better system, but that's not the system we are getting.

But my understanding was that recent rulings recognized that university have an interest in maintaining diversity, but that they have to do it in the least discriminatory manner possible. So even if universities are banned from doing racial discrimination, they could easily enforce income discrimination to get around it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 667