Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 765520 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8370 on: August 22, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Theres a video. And yeah, I think it stinks of racism- the dude was standing around shouting "Shoot me!". He wasn't charging the officers. If that'd been a white dude, I'm confident he'd have simply gotten tackled and given a slap on the wrist or something.

Well it's a possibility, but I'm under the impression that the americain police will empty several magazine on you diplay any level of agression against them.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: August 22, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »

Our enforcers are supposed to use the continuum of force, but it seems to be more of a suggestion than a rule in the St. Louis area at this point.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:21 pm »

Supposedly, the guy had a knife... and you can sort of see it.  When the police show up, it looks like he retrieves something from his pocket, and you can just barely see it poking out of his fist.  And I've already seen dozens of people saying that it was a justified case of self-defense for this reason.

But there are so many reasons that should barely matter in this case.  There were several units less than a minute away, but those officers chose to initiate the confrontation immediately, to initiate at close range and make zero effort to maintain a safe distance, to immediately have lethal force prepared without any effort to assess the situation first for appropriateness, and to show zero concern for the suspect's life after shooting at him.

If a couple dozen police in the UK can subdue an angry machete-wielding psycho in a few minutes without any sophisticated/ranged equipment or tactics and nobody getting hurt, then I see no reason to believe a couple dozen U.S. police can't subdue an agitated, slightly aggressive guy on a street corner with a little pocket knife.  I can't accept the self-defense argument in a case where the suspect is on open ground, not posing a threat to any bystanders, does not have a firearm or serious weapon of any sort, and the police have every opportunity to take ownership of the situation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »

I'm not sure that racism have anything to do with the matter.
Except that it very clearly does. If you think it doesn't, it's ignorance, either true or willful.

During the Martin Trial, peoples were screaming about racism while I was scratching my head : why didn't anyone say that having armed unidentified civilian without any form of training "tipping off" law enforcement by suspiciously stalking peoples at night was a bad idea? Why didn't anyone say that the stupid "strong men" mentality conveyed by rap harmfull to the community?
Plenty of people said the first one. The second one was completely irrelevant.

In this case we have the same problem : a seemingly harmless teenager that choose to confront the police.
What? He didn't confront the police. He fled from the police. In what world is running away from the police confronting
them? The police officer did grab him first, but that's still not a black teenager "confronting" the police.

Exept this time, a policeman is supposed to be able to subdue an unarmed man without resorting to lethal force.
There was no "resorting". There wasn't even a reason to subdue! He fired on a fleeing civilian that as far as he knew had committed no crime beyond jaywalking.

And don't use kid, it's misleading.
Less misleading than the number of people calling him a violent criminal. He wasn't an adult, that's for sure, and for my own part I've predominantly used teenager anyway.

Police reports have been released. For reference:
The reports on the shooting:
Ferguson Police Report
SLCPD Police Report

The reports on the robbery Brown allegedly committed:
Ferguson Police Report
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:20:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: August 22, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »

Man, I can't even read open debate elsewhere about this topic. When people starting calling that cop a hero for shooting an unarmed man, it makes me not want to live in this world anymore. Agree or disagree that it was a justified shooting based on the set of reports you choose to believe, fine. A cop killing an unarmed man? What in the hell is heroic about that? Or about most instances of cops using their weapons? Cops with guns drawn ready to mow a suspect down isn't heroic. It's an overwhelming application of force. Real heroism would be holstering your gun and taking them down unarmed because you want to avoid someone dying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:04 pm »

Also, evidence for the racism/stunning incompetency of the Ferguson police department:
This guy was a Sergeant Major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFtXG4fC5A
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/officer-who-pushed-don-lemon-relieved-of-duty-after-racist-rant-emerges/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »

What? He didn't confront the police. He fled from the police. In what world is running away from the police confronting
them? The police officer did grab him first, but that's still not a black teenager "confronting" the police.

That confused me too. There's currently two shootings being discussed in the thread, and the second one did kind-of-sort-of provoke a confrontation, although video evidence suggests that vastly excessive force was used. That may have been what the post quoted was referring to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:55 pm »

vastly excessive force
Aye. Haven't watched the video for that one, but from the reports it sounds like a case of suicide-by-cop that the officer in question was far, far too happy to oblige. Semi-relevant quote from an article about someone trying to put together a national database on use of deadly force by police:
You know who dies in the most population-dense areas? Black men. You know who dies in the least population dense areas? Mentally ill men. It's not to say there aren't dangerous and desperate criminals killed across the line. But African-Americans and the mentally ill people make up a huge percentage of people killed by police.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:33:22 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:29 am »

Here they carry guns but if they shoot it, they have to justify every single shot in front of the police of police. And they hate it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:35 am »

Hrm, theres only going to be three african-americans on that grand jury. :/ Shouldn't it be at least half so that it's at least fair? Or at least 7 out of 12 to reflect the demographics of Ferguson?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:05 am »

The demographics match that of the county.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »

Also, evidence for the racism/stunning incompetency of the Ferguson police department:
This guy was a Sergeant Major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFtXG4fC5A
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/officer-who-pushed-don-lemon-relieved-of-duty-after-racist-rant-emerges/

In defense of the military everywhere, it's well known that part of the Sergeant Major Academy is the removal of anything close to common sense or the ability to form reasoned discussions.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: August 27, 2014, 10:23:22 am »

Hey pro-gun people, chew on this.

My wtf of the day. CNN said that a child accidentially killed a gun instructor in Arizona when a 9 year old lost control of a submachine gun. Who the fuck gives a kid a submachine gun? I picture the kid using a tommy gun (what I think of when I hear 'submachine gun'), kid loses control, bullets fly and ricochet every fucking where, gun instructor gets killed. I'm surprised the kid didn't get killed or injured either.

It was a goddamn Uzi.

The tommy gun is just my visual of it, but yeah, seriously, what the hell Arizona?

Again, who the hell thinks it's a good idea to give a kid an uzi? Given that it flew out of the kids hands.....

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:26 am »

But you don't understand, the right to have guns is given to True Americans in Second Amendment by the God himself!
To abolish that right is to go against the God's very will! Heathen!  :'(
._.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 667