Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 757166 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8430 on: August 27, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »

The sheer idiocy of trying to integrate fully automatic weapons into family fun time
I'm not seeing where you are getting the consistent assumption that this is "fun time." As opposed to just learning time.
Most people wouldn't consider school to be "fun." Can be both, but not usually.

It COULD have been family fun time, for all I know, but do you actually know that from an article or something?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: August 27, 2014, 02:39:51 pm »

Bullets and Burgers is a serious environment to teach weapon safety
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: August 27, 2014, 02:42:37 pm »

Don't tell me people hunt in your area with fully automatic submachine-guns. I still want to have some hope for humanity.

Theres probably a few, but most people use regular hunting rifles.

Anyhow, the point I was making earlier was about the responsibility and common sense part, but the gun debate always goes in circles.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: August 27, 2014, 02:45:42 pm »

The sheer idiocy of trying to integrate fully automatic weapons into family fun time
I'm not seeing where you are getting the consistent assumption that this is "fun time." As opposed to just learning time.

It COULD have been family fun time, for all I know, but do you actually know that from an article or something?

You're really going to sit on hard evidence for this one? Really? Let's try the name of the establishment.

What's their employment application look like?

Must have a Level III Food Handlers permit and be able to handle 1000 Rounds of Ammunition a minute.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: August 27, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »

Totally legit.
I mean, they even have a motto of "Shoot your buns off!"
How could that possibly be misconstrued as an air of irresponsible frivolity?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: August 27, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Bullets and Burgers is a serious environment to teach weapon safety
What about fast food safety?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:28 pm »

SHOOT MACHINE GUNS 50 CAL
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: August 27, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

You're really going to sit on hard evidence for this one? Really? Let's try the name of the establishment.
It doesn't really matter all that much. If not this instance, one can still easily imagine going out to do this sort of thing as a learning experience, not for "fun."

But yes, the name is a clue, not a guarantee. For instance, in my local area, there is only ONE single gun range within about a 2 hour drive of my apartment, I believe. If your choice is bullets and burgers versus driving hours and hours further, even a serious family not in it for fun at all might very well go there.

Now, if there's a place right across the street called "Jim's serious and responsible gun training range" or something, then alright then.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:05 pm »

Please stop. You're just trolling at this point dude. Devils advocate turns to trolling when you keep going on and on like this.

Wrap up what your point is supposed to be besides exactly what we're saying, which is more regulation is needed
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:52:38 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »

Don't tell me people hunt in your area with fully automatic submachine-guns. I still want to have some hope for humanity.

I never said that. The norm here is .22LR or .30-06 bolt/lever action rifles, or 20 or 12 gauge shotguns. Just like everywhere else, I assume. Some people use "military style" rifles like the civilian AR-15 too, but the above are far more common and almost nobody only owns such a thing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »

If you can't find a serious gun range within walking distance, you're not in Arizona.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:51 pm »

It doesn't really matter all that much. If not this instance, one can still easily imagine going out to do this sort of thing as a learning experience, not for "fun."

But yes, the name is a clue, not a guarantee. For instance, in my local area, there is only ONE single gun range within about a 2 hour drive of my apartment, I believe. If your choice is bullets and burgers versus driving hours and hours further, even a serious family not in it for fun at all might very well go there.

Now, if there's a place right across the street called "Jim's serious and responsible gun training range" or something, then alright then.
A quick Google search shows no less 18 firing ranges in the nearby area, including one named "Safety First Lifestyle and Firearm Training". But that's not nearly as fun as firing "the Scar" (one of the new guns they were touting on their FB page three days ago).

These fucking dirtbags are getting ripped apart on FB/Twitter/etc, and rightfully so.

EDIT: Also, this is from their TripAdvisor page:
"We are unique from other gun ranges because we shoot on fully automatic unlike the indoor ranges where they only allow you to shoot in short spurts."

There. If you want to retain any credibility as a "sensible" gun advocate, you'll stop defending these guys.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:57:23 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: August 27, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »

I never said that. The norm here is .22LR or .30-06 bolt/lever action rifles, or 20 or 12 gauge shotguns. Just like everywhere else, I assume. Some people use "military style" rifles like the civilian AR-15 too, but the above are far more common and almost nobody only owns such a thing.

"If you need to reload while hunting then you're not a hunter" are words a very wise very good shot of a ranger told me. Only applicable to non-bolts, of course. Unless you reload more than twice. I don't like to fire my bolt actions anymore, they're too pretty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: August 27, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »

What's their employment application look like?

Must have a Level III Food Handlers permit and be able to handle 1000 Rounds of Ammunition a minute.

I take it you're being sarcastic?

Yes more regulation is needed, but the NRA has too much political power over the lobbies and politicians can't seem to decide on anything that would actually work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: August 27, 2014, 02:59:31 pm »

Wrap up what your point is supposed to be besides exactly what we're saying, which is more regulation is needed
That's 0% my point, and in fact nobody has even mentioned regulation in the entire discussion so far that I can see...  ??

The overall point is simply that introducing children to even high powered weapons MIGHT be perfectly logical for certain reasons and circumstances, and that the only necessarily obvious fault here in this situation is people going about doing things like morons. Whether by choosing the wrong weapons very specifically and/or the wrong range.  But firing even something with too much recoil like a shotgun, at a responsible range taking measures to stop it from flying out of grip, even for a 9 year old, there are potential arguments for.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:01:46 pm by GavJ »

Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 667