Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 765314 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8445 on: August 27, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

I never said that. The norm here is .22LR or .30-06 bolt/lever action rifles, or 20 or 12 gauge shotguns. Just like everywhere else, I assume. Some people use "military style" rifles like the civilian AR-15 too, but the above are far more common and almost nobody only owns such a thing.

"If you need to reload while hunting then you're not a hunter" are words a very wise very good shot of a ranger told me. Only applicable to non-bolts, of course. Unless you reload more than twice. I don't like to fire my bolt actions anymore, they're too pretty.

Heh, a few guys I know have got around that little rule by using a banana clip. It looks absolutely ridiculous 9 times out of 10, but I won't deny it's convenient on a range.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: August 27, 2014, 03:07:21 pm »

Wrap up what your point is supposed to be besides exactly what we're saying, which is more regulation is needed
That's 0% my point, and in fact nobody has even mentioned regulation in the entire discussion so far that I can see...  ??

The overall point is simply that introducing children to even high powered weapons MIGHT be perfectly logical for certain reasons and circumstances, and that the only necessarily obvious fault here in this situation is people going about doing things like morons. Whether by choosing the wrong weapons very specifically and/or the wrong range.  But firing even something with too much recoil like a shotgun, at a responsible range taking measures to stop it from flying out of grip, even for a 9 year old, there are potential arguments for.

This is why we're never get to get serious about firearms in this country. Because there is ALWAYS an excuse.
"Oh, they just did it wrong."
"Oh, that gun was stolen."
"Oh, if only the other people had been armed."
"Oh, this was a determined madman, and you couldn't have stopped him anyways."
"Oh, this was just an isolated tragedy."

Never an inkling of a hint of an admission that maybe, JUST MAYBE, we have a societal problem with gun fetishism and availability. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, and there's a vocal minority for whom there is NEVER a problem.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:04 pm »

"I don't have a gun addiction! I can quit anytime! You're not my mother SO LEAVE ME ALONE!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: August 27, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

Just found this a little further down their FB page:

This is your lucky day!!! Philip shooting the one and only .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle!!!! You can skip the hardcore military training and come shoot the Barrett at Bullets & Burgers!!! No need for gun skills here...just fire at will and have a Blast!!!!

So, yeah. Can we please skip the notion that these guys in any way, shape or form deserved to be in business? I really hope the NRA decides to go to bat for these morons in a knee-jerk reaction, and undercuts their credibility with anyone who still has a half a brain (and hasn't had the other half blown out by a nine-year-old with an Uzi). These guys are the new poster children for America's gun problem (i.e. gun fetishism + lack of responsible training/regulation oversight).

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: August 27, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »

.50 cal as civilian weapon?

seems legit
._.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:32 pm »

You're really going to sit on hard evidence for this one? Really? Let's try the name of the establishment.
It doesn't really matter all that much. If not this instance, one can still easily imagine going out to do this sort of thing as a learning experience, not for "fun."

But yes, the name is a clue, not a guarantee. For instance, in my local area, there is only ONE single gun range within about a 2 hour drive of my apartment, I believe. If your choice is bullets and burgers versus driving hours and hours further, even a serious family not in it for fun at all might very well go there.

Now, if there's a place right across the street called "Jim's serious and responsible gun training range" or something, then alright then.

So it's a matter of availability? That's your litmus test?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: August 27, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »

Just found this a little further down their FB page:

This is your lucky day!!! Philip shooting the one and only .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle!!!! You can skip the hardcore military training and come shoot the Barrett at Bullets & Burgers!!! No need for gun skills here...just fire at will and have a Blast!!!!

So, yeah. Can we please skip the notion that these guys in any way, shape or form deserved to be in business? I really hope the NRA decides to go to bat for these morons in a knee-jerk reaction, and undercuts their credibility with anyone who still has a half a brain (and hasn't had the other half blown out by a nine-year-old with an Uzi). These guys are the new poster children for America's gun problem (i.e. gun fetishism + lack of responsible training/regulation oversight).

Sounds a LITTLE bit like something right out of a post apocalypse mad max world with no regulations.

There are people (and a few politicians) who do admit and agree that the guns are a problem, but either nothing ends up getting done or what is done isn't meaningful in any way.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: August 27, 2014, 03:32:19 pm »

.50 cal as civilian weapon?

seems legit
*shrugs* If you can afford to buy one, and take care of all the associated paperwork, most places in the states are okay with civvie ownership of... well, most weapons. Including 50 cal. The hella' prices involved dissuades most folks from actually going through with such, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: August 27, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »

So Arizona IS the Da Ork Boyz land.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: August 27, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »

It's important to note that, despite being located just over the border into Arizona, the establishment in question is very much a Vegas attraction (it's located on the main artery into Vegas from the Southwest states), part of the same thrill-seeking, hedonistic tourist extravaganza that also supports people being able to pay to go up and dogfight in reconditioned propeller fighters, ride in (or drive) racecars hurtling along at 200+ miles an hour, and a large number of other adrenaline-junkie pursuits that carry a significant degree of risk. It has as much resemblance to ordinary American gun culture as horseshit does to peanut butter. (By comparison, most gun rental places in the Midwest (generally also gun shop, the main purpose of the rental is to help you find one that's comfortable for you to handle) don't allow adults to handle their larger weapons such as Desert Eagles or other large Magnum pistols for safety reasons.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »

It's important to note that, despite being located just over the border into Arizona, the establishment in question is very much a Vegas attraction (it's located on the main artery into Vegas from the Southwest states), part of the same thrill-seeking, hedonistic tourist extravaganza that also supports people being able to pay to go up and dogfight in reconditioned propeller fighters, ride in (or drive) racecars hurtling along at 200+ miles an hour, and a large number of other adrenaline-junkie pursuits that carry a significant degree of risk. It has as much resemblance to ordinary American gun culture as horseshit does to peanut butter. (By comparison, most gun rental places in the Midwest (generally also gun shop, the main purpose of the rental is to help you find one that's comfortable for you to handle) don't allow adults to handle their larger weapons such as Desert Eagles or other large Magnum pistols for safety reasons.)

TL;DR

"Oh, it's Vegas."

Another excuse.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

I'm glad to hear the gun community will agree that this is exactly the sort of shit that makes them look bad, and that they will support changes to Federal law to outlaw that kind of reckless business behavior.

EDIT: And can I say that it's exceedingly weird to finally have an incident where the politics of gun control isn't an abhorrent attempt to grab attention from a terrible event that's only tangentially related?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:55:32 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

tl'dr America isn't bad in general, but it's decentralized structure tend to result in extreme shit happening in various regions.

Like Ferguson and Arizona.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: August 27, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »

Very little (if any) legislative change is needed. Like all fully-automatic weapons, Uzi's are already illegal under Federal law (barring an extremely small number of pre-1983 examples) without special (and extremely expensive) permit, and reckless endangerment is already a serious crime. All that really needs to be done is to revoke the establishment's full-auto permit  (not certain if the law allows confiscation of the weapons under permit, as bill of attainder would apply unless special provision was made in the permit law), but it would absolutely prohibit them from allowing any non-permit holder to fire them, and arrest the management staff for reckless endangerment homicide.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »

... I wonder if the NRA realizes they could win some hella' brownie points if they immediately and visibly threw their weight behind that course of events...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 667