Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 765987 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9585 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:21 am »

Afghanistan is still a useless war, as the attackers were from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, not the Taliban.

Let me see.

Pakistan - Nukes, general anger towards India, tense relations already.
Saudi Arabia - Muslim holy cities.  'nuff said.

Yeah, Afghanistan may not have been where they were from, but it was probably the only 'safe' option.

So, basically, you just needed to invade a country and Afghanistan was the only one available?

MAYBE, I don't know, you'd have to ask Bush and his adminstration.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:38 am »

There was no such thing as an afghan government at that time. It was the forces friendly to Osama's cohorts. Most of them from.. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, because the USSR had destabilized Afghanistan and made it into a hub for terror.

Oh well that's cool then.  We went into the totally not ruled by Afgani government zone and killed a bunch of totally not Afgani government people there who had just organized a major attack and would continue to do so.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:17 am »

Wasn't he in Tora Bora?

Lots of their propaganda had him fighting in most of the important battles. Which we know wouldn't be the case.

There was no such thing as an afghan government at that time. It was the forces friendly to Osama's cohorts. Most of them from.. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, because the USSR had destabilized Afghanistan and made it into a hub for terror.

Oh well that's cool then.  We went into the totally not ruled by Afgani government zone and killed a bunch of totally not Afgani government people there who had just organized a major attack and would continue to do so.

Shocking to know that invading a country for tenuous reasons might sound ridiculous even with you attempting to misrepresent the reality of the mobile terrorist forces that weren't the Taliban facilitating the 9/11 attacks. If you haven't noticed the dangerous Jihadi groups moved onto greener pastures while the taliban still plays with themselves in the desert.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:44:27 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:36 am »

Wasn't he in Tora Bora?

Maybe MH370 is in Tora Bora, what are you getting at?

Also, slow down ppl, lol

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: November 24, 2014, 10:45:10 am »

So, basically, you just needed to invade a country and Afghanistan was the only one available?

Considering that it would have been even worse for him if he didn't, and Afghanistan was believed to hold the ringleader and had quite a few terrorists there, yep.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:59 am »

Shocking to know that invading a country for tenuous reasons might sound ridiculous even with you attempting to misrepresent the reality of the mobile terrorist forces that weren't the Taliban facilitating the 9/11 attacks. If you haven't noticed the dangerous Jihadi groups moved onto greener pastures while the taliban still plays with themselves in the desert.

Which doesn't really change the part that it's a bad idea to let them keep running the show in Afganistan.

We are back to the thing where something must be shown to solve all things everywhere or it's a bad idea.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: November 24, 2014, 10:50:03 am »

No. It was done under false pretense. The lie was 'they helped Osama attack us so we should take out the Taliban and occupy them for an indeterminate amount of time because we need to feel better'. It's not a bad thing to remove a jihadi group that hardly had support in the country they terrorized. But that wasn't the argument presented to the public and you know it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:08 am »

No. It was done under false pretense. The lie was 'they helped Osama attack us so we should take out the Taliban and occupy them for an indeterminate amount of time because we need to feel better'. It's not a bad thing to remove a jihadi group that hardly had support in the country they terrorized. But that wasn't the argument presented to the public and you know it.

May have been done under false pretenses, but the 'occupy for indeterminate amount of time' is false.  As I said earlier, the US military has the precinct in place that they have to fix the country up and have it stable before they leave, and right now, their government doesn't give off the air of stability.  Also, the military was near entirely out, before a new wave of activity by terrorists made them send more people in, as the government didn't have a good grasp on the situation, and the precinct had to be honored. 
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: November 24, 2014, 11:07:41 am »

I don't know what country you were living in back in 2001.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:40 am »

So the crux of the push on the war in Afghanistan wasn't to punish the Taliban for harboring OBL and other terrorists with tagged on state building reasoning? Even though the Taliban offered OBL up on a silver platter, to head off any hostilities?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: November 24, 2014, 11:39:02 am »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:03 am »

Yes. The war in Afghanistan was sold on false pretense as well as the Iraq war. This statement has no assignment of quality on the invasion, so you can pretend I think it's a good thing we invaded a random country to reprise a mobile terror group and continue on your merry way.

The US invading Afghanistan to punish the Taliban for 'supporting' (not rooting out) OBL cohorts is exactly what the nu-Al Qaeda wanted. It's what OBL wanted. We've been bogged down state building in Afghanistan and Iraq, creating more martyrs and giving more reason to hate the US imperialists in the middle east. It got a bit fudged when we took our tunnel vision off Afghanistan for five seconds and saw his royal compound in Pakistan, but his leadership wasn't even needed anymore at that point. The branches were formed and set loose. Now the dangerous-to-established-governments terror groups aren't in Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. They've moved west and to the magreb while the world and especially the US is fixated on previous hotspots.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:49:06 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:32 am »

I dont recognize the validity dichotomy you have drawn and I dont recognize the soundness of the argument used by OBL.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:06 am »

Alrighty then lol, thanks for your input mate

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:00 am »

We agree in principle to be governed by logic.  Victory for the Vulcan race.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 667