Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hard facts on Sapients  (Read 10975 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Hard facts on Sapients
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 02:18:35 pm »

I think the problem is that ultimately, Toady doesn't know what to do with spheres, either.

Magic in Cado that was cast by the wizards basically was D&D without the Vancian magic. (Or, basically, 4th ed.) One wizard even screamed "Finger of Death!" before launching an attack.  Since the magic is explicitly described as "calculations" played upon the ether, it seems a bit like magic is doing a math problem, and the "balance" that magic requires is essentially some sort of checkbook balancing you have to do to get a budget for your magic.  That also implies a leaning towards rational, repeatable magic.

The biggest difference is there's more heavy reliance upon magic items than normal, like that candle that controls the demon from Moclem or the puppets the "wizard" (probably better described as a bard) used for his magic.

The magic-centric Threetoe stories definitely imply that magic has both practical, (direct-combat spells like the finger of death, or the reflection spell Cado used to turn it back, or the haste spell he used later, or the charm the puppeteer used upon the village people, or the tree-shaping elves,) and esoteric uses, (like dimensional portals, invading dreams to communicate across dimensions, communing with the nature spirit to learn the future, or even just creating living "toys").  However, little of that seems to have anything to do with spheres, and seems more to do with a sort of rehashing of old RPG magic system concepts.

There's no way that you're reasonably dividing up enough spells across 128 spheres to make each one have a totally unique spell list.  (And there's the added problem of spheres like "pregnancy" or "childbirth" or "children" probably being useful in an abstract "prevent miscarriage" sense when every village has a magical midwife priest(ess), but making for pretty lame adventurers.  And I don't think Toady even wants to start adding "Depravity" or "Torture" spells and who wants to cast spells from the "Suicide" sphere?) (Besides goth kids.)

Hence, I'm guessing what we're heading towards at the moment is a system not unlike the way that 3rd ed D&D worked, where you have a Druid spell list and a Cleric spell list and a Wizard spell list, and priests get special sphere spells the way that clerics got domain spells.

Odds are, what we're looking at is there being some sort of different skills that come into play when you use different "types" of magic, like druids having a different skill set that determines their magic than wizards, who have to read tomes for it.

Of course, at the same time, if he's not really sure what he wants to do, then it's a good use of the suggestion forum to lobby for better systems, now isn't it?

I think part of the problem that a lot of the talks about magic in the suggestion forum now have with convincing Toady at the moment, however, is that they all focus on Fortress Mode, and Toady's probably thinking more about how to make a wizard adventurer.

He obviously seems to want to move away from everyone being a plate mail-wearing knight who maybe can also use magic when they "catch-em all". (Because why wouldn't you? If there's no in-game penalty for heavy armor and using magic, why specialize, why not use everything at once?) Hence, Threetoe story magic seems focused on basically being a "robes-and-staff, readin' mah books" type of wizard. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »

Actually, to make a second post to respond to Muiramir, I thought of something else that is definitely complex enough procedurally to create emergent game events - worldgen.

Worldgen has its giant, sprawling histories filled with mostly useless data and very little capacity to get a signal from the noise. 

It's mostly a monstrously huge list of events like "Goblin #73714 chopped off the third toe, left foot of Elf #129535 in the war of purple brussel sprouts," or "Were-pig #4267 goes on rampage #25623, eating chicken #5921391."

... and players by-and-large ignore legends mode for sheer incapacity to gain any useful information from all that data.  Even with data-sorting programs specifically designed to collate information from legends mode into statistics, it's hard to get anything from legends mode other than vague trends.

Let's say you wanted a "typical fantasy story" to come out of legends mode, or worldgen.

That's what Threetoe's stories are all about, right?  The sorts of worlds that Toady and Threetoe are trying to build...

So, let's say we want to create a typical fantasy story, and it starts with generating some evil overlord that the hero is going to have to rise up to fight.  Well, we need to give the hero some motivation to actually want to fight the overlord rather than just starting a pig farm or something, instead, so let's have the overlord send in his death squads to flatten the hero-to-be's Beloved Peasant Village.  Presumably because the overlord saw a prophecy that someone from that village would have motivation to kill him some time later, because that's how this stuff goes in generic fantasy stories.

But letting the hero just immediately run off and kill the overlord isn't good enough, you have to have the whole Hero's Journey arc.  The hero has to discover or gain some special power, and master it or himself.  They overcome temptation or the urge to use their power corruptly as the evil overlord did. 

Preferably, you have a lot of padding and mini-bosses to help ramp up the drama and tension so that the final showdown feels climactic, while at the same time keeping things focused upon this conflict, so that you can actually feel involved in the story, and as if you, as an audience, have some stake in how it turns out.

Hence, just letting the hero throw dirt clods at a wall until hitting legendary due to macros before taking a stroll in and decapitating the evil overlord with a single fluffy wambler just won't do - you have to set up barricades to the hero's progress, Broken Bridges that make them go questing for the +3 Wrench of Bridge Repair before they can continue. 

... But then, that's not at all what the game is giving us right now, is it?

Now, I hope you're starting to see the problems with trying to make emergent storytelling out of a system that mostly just creates emergent interesting effects out of systems and patterns, normally.  (In fact, it only rarely even creates interesting blurbs out of the noise, and those are often results of bugs, not intentional behavior leading to interesting stories.)

Toady's working towards creating those evil overlords that have some sort of story, but there's a loooong way to go before it creates stories where the player character is actually a meaningful part of them in any way other than the jackass from nowhere who kills everyone at the end of the story, rendering all the dramatic build-up moot.  (There's no significant difference in-game right now between killing a random bandit and killing a vampire lord who has seen the rise and fall of empires in adventure mode.)

So, when you're talking about having an emergent magic system, keep in mind that what you're really saying is that you want every fantasy world to have a completely different concept of what magic is.  This means you have to start each story by telling everyone what the rules are, just like a vampire story, since, like a vampire story, it's critical to understanding how everything turns out to understand what rules are actually in place.

It's like saying that we should start the game with procedurally-generated races, (in fact, procedurally-generated races would be easier than procedurally-generated magic,) rather than dwarves, elves, and goblins, because we're going to start this game not having any clue who or what any creature is, or what their motivations are. 

We start most generic fantasies with elves and dwarves and such because that allows us, as an audience, to skip past the "what is this race, and what do they mean?" stage and go straight to the stories they are involved in. 

You absolutely can have fantasies with your own creations and have them represent much different cultural concepts than what dwarves and elves do.  (This is almost always found in Science Fiction, and they almost always involve Planets of the Hats more than the already-explored elves or vampires having a different interpretation for every author who can just say "their Vampires Are Different because...")  A sci-fi author who makes some honorable warrior culture or insect hivemind society then has to stop and explain everything about their culture and race, however.

So how, exactly, is the game going to explain to you what the magic system is or does without a wiki to help you, when the races that built cultures off that magic system are also randomized, and the lands are randomized, the animals and plants are randomized, and everything is completely different every time?

It's like the noise generated from the Legends Mode - it's just noise, just random junk randomness unless you have some reason to care about one particular battle or entity.  Nobody cares about Chicken #5239157, but you sure care when a were-pig eats YOUR chicken. 

That's not to say that any of this might not be possible, but it's important to recognize just how destabilizing some of these changes really are, for one, and how immensely difficult they are to code, for another. 

Considering as you're asking for a specific type of magic system, Muiramir, the question is, would you even want a purely procedural magic system in the game? 

If this procedural system creates either magic-dead worlds or high-magic worlds purely at random, would you really want to see a game where you have to re-roll your world because it's too easy to survive, and magic is handed to you on a silver platter? 

Or would you rather have... the specific type of magic you want to see done?

That's what moddable magic systems would do, or even a moddable script for a very limited procedural system.  And that's a lot easier to pull off than a wholly procedural system that's actually capable of making up rules that prevent measurable objective reality. 

It's much easier to just play a game where you just plain don't use dwarfputers, yourself (or even have mechanisms modded out), rather than find a way to randomly shut off someone else from using dwarfputers in theirs.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »

I suspect the sphere-list will have to be revamped somewhat, if it ever truly does relate to magic, but there's only a few listed items that I think would be impossible or undesireable to do something with.

Suicide, as NW_Kohaku mentioned, doesn't make a lot of obvious sense as a magic path, but there might be a high priest of a religion, that obtained her power (or the position that grants the power) by the act of ritually killing himself every day, only to be continually resurrected by his god. It's dark, and it would make people uncomfortable, but valid real-world religions also have that effect.

It could also be a case where the emphasis is only being placed on the suicide part by the outsider (and is being seen through a filter of prejudices and misunderstandings), while the initiate placed the emphasis on the trust in their god, the personal and intimate nature of making the ultimate sacrifice, and the act of resurrection.

So, you can hunt for and find ways, means, and excuses, for putting to work whatever options we're given.

And while another high priest might be getting her power from the Volcano Sphere God, that doesn't have to mean her spell list consists of "volcanos-volcanos-volcanos-lava-lava-lava-explosion-explosion-explosion".

A sphere should contain within itself some wiggle-room for subtlety and nuance.

For they would be your masters.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 12:08:05 am »

Well, that's why I think just taking up something more akin to the D&D model would make more sense - having a basic cleric spell list, and then a handful of spells that are liberally sprinkled across different spheres.

One heal spell might be available to all clerics.

Another "advanced heal other" spell might be available to the fertility, family, marriage, order, discipline, fortresses, duty, healing, peace, inspiration, creation, beauty, dance, charity, forgiveness, consolation, generosity, hospitality, mercy, sacrifice, and love spheres.

Another "regeneration" type spell might be available to birth, fertility, disease, pregnancy, children, youth, food, fishing, fish, hunting, animals, plant, trees, seasons, chaos, gambling, games, freedom, depravity, luck, travellers, strength, war, revenge, victory, fame, valor, and courage. 

They'd overlap somewhat, (and you'd notice how spells have to have around 20 friggin' spheres) so that each sphere would only be moderately different from a mostly-related type of sphere.  (I.E. Birth, fertility, family, marriage, love, lust, pregnancy, children, and youth are all very similar/related spheres.)

Whatever magic system is settled on demands Turing Completeness - you'd have to have magic at least somewhat Vancian-style, where you are learning and preparing a spell that has specific, discrete function(s).  Hence, you can't just say that the protection sphere gives you the ability to protect a candle from rain or protect a fish from air-drowning just because you can somehow phrase that in some sort of manner of "protection," you'd need to learn a spell that specifically gives an air-breathing tag effect to a creature or something.  (And that would have to somehow be related to the protection sphere for that cleric to get that spell... and it seems more likely that would be an "oceans" or "water" spell.)

Interactions are already supposed to be the basis on which magic will be built, so you can probably look at what sort of code is already supported by that system to better understand what we're looking at.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:49:51 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:53 am »

I think it's important to view Dwarf Fortress in a very distinct way from D&D. They both operate under distinct parameters, based on sharply diverging assumptions about the game being played, the role of the player, and the physical characteristics of the world, and on top of all that, they both were designed around/to run on, entirely separate media.

That said, I don't really mind the D&D 2nd edition "severely limited generic spell-list plus sphere" system for priests (something like the one used for elemental clerics in Dark Sun), although I'd rather see casting (priestly) magic as more like performing a set of timed tasks, or even a highly choreographed dance, than Vancian magic.

I like the idea of priests employing ritual to work miracles, because it allows for deeper interest in the meaning of the rituals, and the stories behind them, and because it's a straightforward process to build, elaborate, and fine-tune the rituals, as a means of balance, while adding interest at the same time.

Magic users I haven't decided on, but I still don't think Vancian magic would work as well for DF.

The magic user shouldn't need to switch one spell out for another (how would that even be done in DF?), and should be able to cast the same spell over and over, until he drops from sheer exhaustion (which, admittedly, for atleast most spells, should probably mean once), but I feel spells should require resources and the performing of rituals, each applied in a timely manner, rather than getting everything ready for the spell somewhere away in the background, and then speaking the last syllable at the desired moment of casting, and immediately losing all recollection of the entire spell.

It works in Vance's stories precisely because it's so bizarrely counter-intuitive to the way that humans do literally anything else, that it adds thoughtfulness to the setting, as you try to figure out what the mechanisms behind it could possibly be. And ofcourse Gary Gygax fell in love with it--this is the man responsible for Thac0.

I just feel it would be a better model for Dwarf Fortress, to view casting a spell as another type of job, and that it would make spell casting more of a challenge for the player than Vancian magic would be, but also involve the player more directly in setting up whatever items the caster needs when they need them, making sure the ritual remains undisturbed, and that they're casting a spell that's actually worth all this trouble, etc.

There might still be the occasional hurling of fireballs, etc., but I'd rather see this being something you go to the trouble of enchanting an item to do for you. This would limit magic's usefulness on an open battlefield, but would keep Fortresses more strategically important and desireable than they historically became, once cannons came along to knock them down--infact, it could interestingly make for an almost totally opposite set of strategic circumstances, particularly if magic users became more powerful while relatively immobile--by sanctifying the area, tapping into ley lines, inscribing magic circles, etc.

The connotations (and I can think of quite a few) might make a good basis for some interesting military fantasy, if anyone wanted to write some. 

D&D kind of destroyed the elegance of Jack Vance's wizards for me, though. In the books--and I've got the complete 'Tales of the Dying Earth' right next to my computer--even the most subtle wizards have ready access to maybe half a dozen spells at a given time, max. Marizian can only hold 5 in his mind, for instance, but they're enough to utterly dominate the sorceror Turjan, who himself holds the very secrets of creating sentient life, but lacks Marizian's memory, only able to memorize 4.

They're great spells to have, sure, and all wizards are rightly feared; but it doesn't turn them into walking artillery; although even the weakest wizard's weakest spell is still enough to put them head-and-shoulders above the strongest non-wizard, for a single use.

I do like that part, and it would be easier to give each sphere something important, if their are only a bare minimum of spells. The idea of an escalation of spell levels is maybe not that important or interesting, because the fact of *MAGIC* should be impressive enough by itself, and breaking spells apart into power levels erodes this--besides which, easy access to healing spells for priests would sharply reduce any interest or desire to go through the excrutiating process of cultivating a doctor.

Plus, DF works under an anatomical system that's far less abstracted than D&D hitpoints, and dwarfs can generally be expected (more or less) to be injured on a less regular basis than a D&D character, especially since the risk of injury can be spread out over a whole Fortress, designed for the defense and pacification of a relatively static area, rather than a small group moving through hostile territory.

Quick fixes aren't really necessary here--the only healing crutch we need, we've already got. It's made of bismuth bronze, studded with herring bones and tourmaline, and Urist Gimpytoe's getting around pretty good on it these days.   

There might be a very few healing miracles, scattered here and there, just to keep the flock from turning to the doctors entirely, but I figure these will probably be effects that doctors can't be relied upon to do even today, like restoring sight, regenerating limbs, annihilating a disease in an entire population, etc.

For they would be your masters.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 02:59:37 pm »

When I was talking about a partially Vancian style, I meant that spells are "pre-packaged effects" (without the ability to redefine the effects at the time of casting), not the full "memorize up to 5 level 3 spells to prepare" D&D style.

Of course, there's an often-overlooked benefit to full D&D style Vancian magic - it creates the tension of conflicting goals by giving you long-term resources to combat short-term problems

In a game where you can squat down and regain all your MP between every fight, you can use every resource at your disposal, because they're all short-term, but with Vancian magic where you might be expected to fight 3-5 battles, and need to cast magic for other things like flying over a chasm or knocking a locked door, you force players to make serious choices about what resources they really need to spend versus save for later, and when they sit down to memorize their spells, they have to really think of combat potential versus need for mundane utility spells.  (And you can use up a spell just for divination magic explicitly to help you make that choice...)

In order for choices to be real and meaningful, they need a certain level of "dimensionality" - that is, you need to be forced to put goals in competition with one another, and choose which goals are most important to pursue, and which of multiple resources are most expendable at the moment because of what goals you are pursuing.  Each conflicting goal or resource is another dimension to your choice. 

When all your goals line up, when getting everything you want out of magic costs you no more balancing than getting anything at all out of magic, then you have a non-dimensional choice system.

And that's what we're at right now - no reason not to use necromancy as much as possible if you have it at all. 

Comparatively, D&D's "Vancian" system created two dimensions of conflict - one was the short-term combat/long-term resource ("I might need it later") conflict, and the other was the partial information problem when memorizing your spells ("what will I need later?"). 

(And that was actually why a lot of the munchkins hated it - it actually punished using one strategy for every problem, and created serious choices instead of just a calculation with a single defined solution because you only had one streamlined goal - highest possible DPS.)

So no, I don't want to just rip off D&D, but at the same time, true Vancian Magic was one of the best magic systems ever devised as a means of putting real strategic choice into a magic system, and the only other magic systems that come close are things like Magic: The Gathering and possibly the Mesmers out of Guild Wars. (Both of which are also fairly "Vancian-like", as well, although those were mostly based around the explicit and arbitrary effects that each individual spell could have.)

Again, part of the problem with all these magic systems arguments is that people always just want wizards to "feel" magical in some certain way, often in a way where it means that their magic simply wouldn't have Turing-complete rules and be basically impossible to program.  What we need to focus on is what it feels like to play the game with that kind of magic

What is important is how it changes how we play.

Goblins always sieging for no good reason makes no particular story sense, but players still do want something sieging them, because the need for building your fortress to control the flow of a battle, and for military dwarves to have a purpose (in this pre-internal conflict portion of the game) means that players really enjoy having some direct external threats attacking them. 

Magic, likewise, needs to be looked at by the measure of what it gives to players.  (For starters, it means no more dumping huge "open graves" stockpiles of goblins on your fortress's front step for any necromancer to come animate at their leisure...)

If you're going to talk about a magic system, talk about what choices you want players to make.

I do like that part, and it would be easier to give each sphere something important, if their are only a bare minimum of spells. The idea of an escalation of spell levels is maybe not that important or interesting, because the fact of *MAGIC* should be impressive enough by itself, and breaking spells apart into power levels erodes this--besides which, easy access to healing spells for priests would sharply reduce any interest or desire to go through the excrutiating process of cultivating a doctor.

And that's the sort of argument I'm talking about...

If we're going to keep the doctors from being useless, we have to somehow make magic a less attractive alternative to doctors for common problems... And that would be hard, as most players don't use doctors at all since they tend to just leave dwarves to die.

One solution would be to just plain make the priests the doctors, (and that was, traditionally, what happened in the middle ages,) and that especially makes sense if we're going for something more magic-heavy like an elven retreat, where a druid might just spit out some chewed-up herbs as a poultice on the wound to stop the bleeding and then casting some regen spell to heal a wound. 

On the topic of diseases, it's also possible to just introduce common, communicable diseases that don't require an FB, and where mundane medicine or nutritional balance or else magical intervention to prevent a disease's spread become common concerns.  (That is, you can have doctors for common things and priests for only serious wounds, or the other way around.)

If magic takes long rituals, then you might only be able to bless a single warrior going out into battle with regeneration before they head out (or during their heading out), but not be able to pick and choose who to heal in the middle of a fight, and leave doctors to the immediate stop-the-bloodloss problems, while healing magic speeds up the healing process after the surgery. (As they pray for a swift recovery.)

If we go with the sort of contract magic I've been talking about (and I've never really stopped pushing for) then you might only get access to healing magic (or good healing magic, anyway) until after you have a full shrine in your fortress to a god(dess) with healing magic and pumped out enough sacrifices to buy enough of her favor for a decent healing spell in the first place.  (Or, for an adventurer, you have to be in a favorable enough relation with a deity that will grant that kind of spell.)  That might, again, preclude choosing gods with other types of benefits to be patrons of your fortress or your adventurer. 

Rather than "levels" you can also just have a basic spell that expands in power as you train it.  It might be useless without constant practice, but then a potent force for a well-trained healer.

In that case, especially if we are talking about handing over a significant chunk of fortress autonomy over to a priest class you don't have direct control over, then you might just prefer crap doctors who leave their patients to die.  (At least, until plagues become common enough to warrant better medical care...) Especially if contract magic might require negotiation with the deity, or at least the priestly class who controls access to the magic (and really wants a new golden statue of the healing goddess and some better rooms for their monks...).

There might still be the occasional hurling of fireballs, etc., but I'd rather see this being something you go to the trouble of enchanting an item to do for you.

Keep in mind the problem of how any player will immediately try mass-producing any sort of magic item that is basically a "wand of fireball".  Part of what makes wizards special is that they're the only ones who can use their "technology", while any random yahoo can pick up a gun.

While I'm not opposed to a casting focus that still requires a wizard who knows exactly how to use such an item (especially if it becomes a pseudo-Vancian "you only have room in your backpack for so many focuses" problem...) there's something to be cautious about just handing out the wands of magic missile like candy.

The magic user shouldn't need to switch one spell out for another (how would that even be done in DF?), and should be able to cast the same spell over and over, until he drops from sheer exhaustion (which, admittedly, for atleast most spells, should probably mean once), but I feel spells should require resources and the performing of rituals, each applied in a timely manner, rather than getting everything ready for the spell somewhere away in the background, and then speaking the last syllable at the desired moment of casting, and immediately losing all recollection of the entire spell.

This is kind of what the whole contract magic thing was about, with players having to find ways to contract various spirits for each individual spell they wanted to cast. 

Since you have to perform a service or give a payment of some kind for a pre-planned amount of magic that you can cast of a pre-defined effect (with more valuable magic being more expensive or requiring more difficult/valuable service) then you have your costs to your magic that have real weight.  (Plus, you can just negotiate an open contract that allows for multiple uses, or else have a personal relationship with a spirit that lets you keep casting magic for as long as you can keep your relationship points up and the spirit happy.)

I also still think that having both a physical fatigue and a mental fatigue gauge is a good start towards preventing players from just spamming a lot of prepared spells (producing that "fall over from fatigue" point).  However, you could go a bit further...

One thing from Elona is that spells require reading a limited-use spellbook to charge up spell stock that is depleted per use.  Hence, some rare spells don't even have spellbooks you can buy.  Casting a spell like that is like drinking a potion in a normal game, where if you use it at all, you lose it.  The sense of "I might need it later" (or perhaps better yet, "I should save this spell until I have enough casting skill to actually have a decent chance of not failing") is fairly strong in that case.

For example, if you somehow became capable of innately casting some sort of magic, you might need to "charge" yourself with the respective magic type.  Maybe you need to chop down nether caps and make a potion out of their magic temperature-fixing property or nether-dimensionality, and then drink a nether potion to charge up nether magic for a spell... which can have compoundingly severe side-effects as you pound away more of them. 

The concept of having components also helps tie the game's resource-farming mechanics into the game's magic system, as you then reward skill at other portions of the game (like nether-cap farming) with more power in another (magic).  This is actually part-and-parcel with part of the notion of the farming system's magic xenosynthesis, since it means that advanced farming techniques for magic ingredients would be necessary for gaining the components needed to cast spells.

This, in turn, could answer the question of why there would be a difference between priests and doctors, as it would mean that only a developed fortress with a temple to a healing goddess, sacrifices to keep that goddess happy, and sufficient supplies of reagents for healing spells are going to be capable of relying on healing magic, while doctors just sort of work on their own power.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 08:02:45 am »

If we could be careful on this thread. I also expect to be informed as to when I'll be able to make a fresh thread. That is, when you two have cooled off.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:06:41 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:26 am »

That thread of yours Novel was weird indeed. I never thought my simple comment/question was going to be the spark of such heated debate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:55:37 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

BUMP

Recently, i realized that i didn't know all the intelligent races in dwarf fortress, after reading about gnomes on the wiki. If someone could present a list (excluding animal people) I'd much appreciate it, and then we can go hammer and tongs at this.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:53:15 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 04:27:12 am »

BUMP

Recently, i realized that i didn't know all the intelligent races in dwarf fortress, after reading about gnomes on the wiki. If someone could present a list (excluding animal people) I'd much appreciate it, and then we can go hammer and tongs at this.
In basic Dwarf Fortress are: dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds and maybe clowns, because they can have administrative positions in human and goblin towns. Gnomes haven't formed a civilized societies due to lack of the ability to communicate verbally.

I think dwarves lacks something to make them really different from humans, because now they just look like low, massive and technologically advanced alcoholic humans(unless their beards, which, as somebody says, have special tasks/ are symbiotic organisms).
Dwarves have a strong bond with rocks, so maybe, they should have skins covered in layer of stone, gem or metal ore due to their ability to eat, digest it and use it as cover from psychical damage? As older dwarf will be and he will eat more rocks/ores/gems/ect., then he will have thicker layer and have higher concentration of stone within body(Stone bones, yup) until he will die to old age(or other things), leaving his 'statue' after death.
I just wonder, how it could look.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:43:08 am by Volfgarix »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:06 am »

In basic Dwarf Fortress are: dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds and maybe clowns, because they can have administrative positions in human and goblin towns. Gnomes haven't formed a civilized societies due to lack of the ability to communicate verbally.
Don't forget Gremlins. They can talk (with other Gremlins at least) and can have the Hunter profession.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:29:37 am by XXSockXX »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 10:56:53 am »

And what about the ant-men, mole-men caveswallow-men, and so forth...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »

Don't forget Gremlins. They can talk (with other Gremlins at least) and can have the Hunter profession.
Yea, thanks.

And what about the ant-men, mole-men caveswallow-men, and so forth...
[...] If someone could present a list (excluding animal people) [...]
Animal people are rather socially similar to themselves, so no need to list them.

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 03:44:41 pm »

So do we have actual lore for each race? I'm not talking about the stuff that happens during worldgen, but the stuff that always happens regardless of the world. As a good example, we know for a fact that elves eat fallen enemies and value plant life above all else, but there's got to be more to each race than what we see in the raws. You know, solid facts about the origin of demons, how gods work, and the ecology of creatures.

I'm especially interested in stuff like culture. For example, how do the humans generally view dwarves? Elves? Why are the goblins all a bunch of assholes? Magic has been discussed and even confirmed, but how does that work? I guess a lot of it is up to the fans and attention to raws.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 02:10:14 am »

It always fun to read stuff by NW_Kohaku and SirHoneyBadger.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4