Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 87444 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:15:26 pm »

New plan!  Starting... sometime, I'm going to start running individual dungeon sessions with little to no sequence - the dungeon this week is likely totally unrelated from the dungeon next week.  Characters may drop in and out freely, they will be persistent and whenever someone returns their character is still valid.

Also very likely to make a simplified character generator, to read and write text files and give myself an easier time shuffling through however many piles of characters eventually get involved.

So feel free to make a character, but don't submit yet.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122652.msg4151001#msg4151001
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:16:57 pm by Girlinhat »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:17:42 pm »

I might be interested in being a player.  I can flake out GMing, so I'm going to tentatively say I can't do it.  For playing though, responsibility to the group /usually/ trumps laziness.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18:08 pm »

Well, there are a few D&D games and the like in Forum games & Roleplaying. You should try checking there if you're looking for games.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

Yes there are, I'm DMing one of them! Though, it does seem like all the current games are filled, so you might need to ask around the forum and see if someone's interested in putting together a quick dungeon crawl or something
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »

Hmm, yeah, didn't really consider it a 'forum game' but it could be...  Either way, I'm mainly a player because I have no idea what I'm doing.  But I'm highly creative and love this sort of stuff, and would probably do a lot of DMing when I get more comfortable with game mechanics.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:43:27 pm »

Like we said, ask around then and see if you can find a spot in a game or get interest going for a another game to start up! Heck, you can apply to my game, at the rate things are going a spot is bound to open up sooner or later due to character death!( Be warned that this is a mid level game, so only apply if you think you can handle encounters in the 8-10 range)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »

All the material is available online.  If I were preparing to DM (or be a versatile player) I'd get sheets of paper and plot out key points to remember and how things work, instead of lugging the book around just bring in what I need for that scenario.  Like, not gonna be using the book on aquatic combat for the city, probably...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »

But I'm highly creative and love this sort of stuff, and would probably do a lot of DMing when I get more comfortable with game mechanics.
Perhaps D&D is not the best match for you, then... Have you considered trying a less combat-mechanics focused system?

If what you want IS D&D, I know there's someone just starting up a Legend game, and Legend is basically "D&D but with rules that are good instead of just profitable" and is strictly a step up in every way. You should consider jumping in.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »

Or you take the stuff with you on a tablet? Or you use a laptop and eventually a USB stick?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »

"You drown.  Fuck you errant player."

A friend encouraged me on how to be a player, her exact words were 'Give the DM a heart attack.'  She encourages things like "Stop a stranger on the street and demand to know his business." and send the DM running 'oh fuck who is this guy and what does he do?!' but then, most are probably just gonna be like 'The farmer shouts a curse, pushes you out of the way, and says it's none of your damn business.'

NINJA: If I could afford a tablet, I'd already have the books.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »

I'll see if I can get details on the IRC games running at the moment. If you go to the #bay12lb IRC on darkmyst, there is AT LEAST one game, I believe, that is still accepting players.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 03:28:14 pm »

I'll see if I can get details on the IRC games running at the moment. If you go to the #bay12lb IRC on darkmyst, there is AT LEAST one game, I believe, that is still accepting players.
And #bay12lb is a pretty cool place to hang out anyway.

But can't you just get some .pdf's on an USB stick and plug it in a laptop at the location?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

Don't have a laptop either :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

Ask one of the players to bring a laptop?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »

There's usually 3 of the 7 with a laptop, but then again the DM has a laptop, and if I were DM I wouldn't.  So, working back around, being a player is the easy part!  You just keep track of yourself and maybe a few specialty enemies.  The DM is the one who needs the books, really.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 89