Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: President Obama refuses to fund construction of Death Star.  (Read 11955 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: President Obama refuses to fund construction of Death Star.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 02:34:51 pm »

Those bastards! They must hate our freedom.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:50 pm »

inb4 GreatJustice and Trollheiming

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »

@ GWG:

The problem with this logic is that "Alderaan Destruction" power also "blow up a space ship."
You're forgetting that "Alderaan Destruction" power also takes an entire day to recharge. So the fact that the Death Star was firing multiple shots during the Battle of Endor implies that it was using much less power for each shot.

A more accepted (AFAIK) theory is that a fair-sized space rock struck the still-molten Earth, causing a chunk of lava and at least part of the rock to go into orbit. Kinda. Science is annoying like that--it doesn't lend itself to one-sentence descriptions.
Point is, that chunk of rock was not perfectly spherical. It took a very long time (from our perspective, anyway) for that chunk to coalesce with the thousands of other chunks to form that big old off-white ball in the sky.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »

The problem with this logic is that "Alderaan Destruction" power also "blow up a space ship."
You're forgetting that "Alderaan Destruction" power also takes an entire day to recharge. So the fact that the Death Star was firing multiple shots during the Battle of Endor implies that it was using much less power for each shot.
I'll admit to not having seen the movies in a while, but...couldn't the Death Star have had more than one laser?

A more accepted (AFAIK) theory is that a fair-sized space rock struck the still-molten Earth, causing a chunk of lava and at least part of the rock to go into orbit. Kinda. Science is annoying like that--it doesn't lend itself to one-sentence descriptions.
Point is, that chunk of rock was not perfectly spherical. It took a very long time (from our perspective, anyway) for that chunk to coalesce with the thousands of other chunks to form that big old off-white ball in the sky.
The bits collected together a lot faster, even if they weren't all in one solid bit yet. It's still probably easier to just mine asteroids, because it kinda takes a lot of energy to bust a planet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:04 pm »

Well, I guess if you can make a laser to destroy a planet, you can easily make one with lower power to break it in little pieces for easier mining.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »

In any case, since as far as I'm aware we do not have access to hypermatter reactors or the capacity to build anything with a 900km radius, this whole discussion is moot :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

In any case, since as far as I'm aware we do not have access to hypermatter reactors or the capacity to build anything with a 900km radius, this whole discussion is moot :P
We would if Obama waqwsn't anti-science.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:12 pm »

We would if Obama waqwsn't anti-science.
It ain't Obama's fault! He's a big supporter of science fairs and the like. Blame Congress for this one.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 02:46:37 am »

Well, I guess if you can make a laser to destroy a planet, you can easily make one with lower power to break it in little pieces for easier mining.

Not really. If you could make a death star, you'd already have an epic power source. It's harder to make that kind of epicness precise than trying to just bulldoze something. Like using a sledgehammer for a nail.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:57 am »

It's ok guys, there's a Kickstarter underway:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

And it's gonna be open source! How cool is that?! All we need is $20,000,000 (plus $850,000,000,000,000,000 to further secure construction) 

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:26 am »

The only risk is the power of the Force.

The main challenge is assuring Kickstarter that this is a joke and not a serious project. As proof, the goal has been set high enough to make successful funding almost impossible.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:03 am »

I'll admit to not having seen the movies in a while, but...couldn't the Death Star have had more than one laser?

It had several thousand point defense lasers, but only one primary laser array. Just look at any image, it's pretty huge. Also, you see it fire, and it's the same laser every time.

((Forgetting of course that firing a planet destruction laser at a spaceship would have a much stronger effect that just blowing it up.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 02:38:14 pm »

It had several thousand point defense lasers, but only one primary laser array. Just look at any image, it's pretty huge. Also, you see it fire, and it's the same laser every time.

((Forgetting of course that firing a planet destruction laser at a spaceship would have a much stronger effect that just blowing it up.))

Those thousands of turbolasers are only point defense by merit of the Death Star being so large that ordinary cap ships are basically fighters in comparison.

There's also the aspect of it that Death Star 1 and Death Star 2 were different beasts. Who's to say they didn't increase the power output/rate of fire of the megalaser for the second one?

Here are the weapon stats I found for DSII:

1x Superlaser
15,000x Heavy Turbolaser Batteries
15,000x Turbolaser Batteries
7,500x Laser Cannons
5,000x Ion Cannons
768x Tractor Beams

By way of comparison, an Imperial-II class Star Destroyer has this armament:

8x Octuple Barbette Turbolasers or Ion Cannons
50x Heavy Turbolaser Batteries
50x Turbolaser Batteries
20x Ion Cannons
10x Tractor Beams

So yeah. The superlaser is essentially just a really big toy. In canon it is mentioned that a single Imperial-class is capable of devastating a hostile planet or winning a fight with another capital ship. The DS-II has the conventional armament of a massive fleet of SDs, presumably more than enough to render a planet uninhabitable with simple weight of fire. By all rights a DS should be able to take on a fleet of just about any size and win, solo, without using the superlaser. It's only idiotic flaws and Emperor logic that allows them to be destroyed in suitably heroic fashion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »

I want a petition demanding Cobra Command be designated a terrorist organization and their assets be frozen.

The only risk is the power of the Force.

The main challenge is assuring Kickstarter that this is a joke and not a serious project. As proof, the goal has been set high enough to make successful funding almost impossible.

If I had  $20,000,000, I'd put it in this project right now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:19:05 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »

If I had  $20,000,000, I'd put it in this project right now.
Just to prove them wrong  :P ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]