Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I beat the odds!  (Read 7850 times)

Zerathzul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I beat the odds!
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »

So, I picked up Dwarf Fortress a few weeks ago, playing a bit most days. I'm working through the dwarf fortress wiki quickstart guide. Amusing how long it takes to go through the "quick" start guide, but I jest, because it is a well put together intro to the game. I'm at about the "Beyond a Minimal Fortress" part of the guide, but I've done a lot of my own exploring both by just playing around with the UI and seeing what options are there and by reading some more articles on the wiki.

So, as I say, I've beaten the odds. I've been told a silly number of people, something like 9 out of every 10 people who try the game, never get this far. (And maybe ever higher than that.) I've also seen some of my gamer friends who I thought were into complex games, who were shocked that I was giving DF a try.

So... there's probably people curious of some of the things I found amusing while first experiencing parts of the game. Here we go:

Right off the bat, found one of my starting 7 was a lass named Erith. Promptly nicknamed her Aerith, and decided that if a dwarf tantrums and kills her, he's becoming Sephiroth.
Examining all the lungfish the cats were bringing back to their owners, to see if there's some comment about the fact that they are technically a type of eel. Only to later check wikipedia to find out I've been wrong about that all along.  ::)
Feeling damn proud of myself because I figured out bucket irrigation.
Finding it a little ominous that I already needed a third-party app to play the game decently, and that app was named "Dwarf Therapist"
Mentally plotting out how I could dig a tunnel to a nearby river to, hopefully, let it pool in a chamber and construct a well above it... Only to realize that with my only basic understanding of the fluid dynamics in this game, this construction project would only end in Fun. I still may try it if I get to a point where I want to shut the front doors and have my fort sealed.
Not realizing you have to interact with the trade depot itself to trade, missing the first caravan to that, but figured it out for the second! Only to find its an elf caravan. Damn elves.
Having my first dwarf go into a strange mood, and having him craft an epic, amazing, truly earthshaking... stonework grate. Well. That dwarf earned the nickname "Greater Grater".

And, of course, the biggest thing is that I even more regret having paid money for Towns, now that I know just HOW pale an imitator it is. And, to be quite honest, DF is so much more playable than that poor attempt at a graphical DF clone. Really. Towns is so damn stingy with immigrants. DF has been throwing a dozen Dwarfies, that I don't know what to do with, at me damn near every season.  :D

Well, it's far and away past time I get a proper military started up, and a metal industry to support it. Back to the fort.

<wave>

Zerathzul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I beat the odds!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:44:21 pm »

All that, and I forgot to mention my fort name. Afraid I got a plain name. The dwarves dubbed their hole in the ground "Keyring".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:01:12 pm »

Damn. That tale sent memories whooshing up my brain nozzle. Good job.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zerathzul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »

Right in the nostalgia!

I've been assuming that new players to DF are rare enough that the community would prefer newbies who are sticking with it to drop in and say Hi.

So this thread is my hello.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:34:48 am »

So this thread is my hello.
Cat bin on the left, space program on the right, mysterious fluff just above you - welcome to Bay12!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:32:24 am »

Welcome to the mad house. You'll be dreaming in ASCII in no time at all.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:39:10 am »

Good luck.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »

Oh, wait until you work on your first megaproject. Then you'll be in for some real ‼FUN‼.

Just take a read through my trial in making an airship; I ragequit halfway through and eventually completed it. It wasn't as easy a task to undertake as I would have initially thought. But in the long run, it taught me how to play the game the quickest, via trial and error; and plenty of it.

More fun and ‼fun‼ you can also get into is also working on some ‼science‼ projects, and integrating other mini-projects into your fort to assist in working on megaprojects and more complicated forts. And that's not even getting into working with succession forts, or running a community fort.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:31:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

RiotShield

• Bay Watcher
  • You have five seconds to comply.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »

It all gets worse !!Fun!! from here.
"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:44:50 pm »

Well...in my opinion, playing DF for the first time is basically an intelligence check. If your either dim or unlucky then you get !FUN!, but usually if your smart then you will have a rather uneventful game.

However if your also creative then that is where DF shines because you can take just about any situation and turn it into a good story.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »

Dig deep. Once you find special blue metal, make sure to mine up as much of it as you can. It's very good metal, man. Have fun!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:01 pm »

Dig deep. Once you find special blue metal, make sure to mine up as much of it as you can. It's very good metal, man. Have fun!
This man speaks the absolute truth.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:12:45 pm »

They make very valuable barracks. 1500☼ + beds everywhere = happy soldiers.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

They make very valuable everything. 1500☼ + beds everywhere = happy dorfes.
Fix'd
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:34:45 pm »

They make very valuable everything. 1500☼ + beds everywhere = happy dorfes.
Fix'd

Indeed. But even better is using it for your hospital. Doctors will use it for sutures, which makes the recieving dwarves very happy.
Pages: [1] 2