Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I beat the odds!  (Read 7851 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I beat the odds!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:45:45 am »

Welcome :) Diagonals break water pressure and dig deeper.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »

Don't feed the cats.
Or the clowns.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:15 am »

Don't feed the cats.
Or the clowns.
But you can feed on them. Just be careful with the clowns. They taste funny.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:48 pm »

Don't feed the cats.
Or the clowns.
But you can feed on them. Just be careful with the clowns. They taste funny.
I'm sigging that.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:16 pm »

Heh. my first artifact, I had, essentially, chalk and pink tourmaline lying around.  It wound up being a throne worth 20k despite having no history whatsoever.  It is now the core of over 40 rooms, since the overlapping room penalty is only applied ONCE.  (future fortresses shall rely on this phenomena from the start, making massive dormitories that eventually reach throne room quality; I've even figured out how to use it to cancel out most of the problems from nobles.  )

I'm up to 40 dwarves without a single dwarf casualty.  lots of stray animals dying though.  and I plan to keep dwarves out of fights untill I get a cistern up and running...at least i can use the local freeze/thaw cycle to produce plenty of water if I'm careful.

Oh, and I now use my trade depot as a "quantum" stockpile. It feels more legitimate than a garbage dump since the incoming traders are doing the exact same thing.  and now that I've figured out that furniture is heavy, while crafts from a craftshop are lightweight, I can deal with the solid clutter left behind by my miners. (I'm using an older version where you can get 100% drops because I'm preparing for a turn at swordthunders. :D)
Did i mention I had a bowyer go into a strange mood? Yeah.  He's turned out more masterwork bows than I have dwarves. next non-elf trader caravan, I'll be giving away all the non-masterwork bows so that I can guarantee equiping a decent wood bow to my military.

yeah. And this is my first try. but maybe my world generation derped and killed off all the goblins or something because I haven't seen a single one.

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 01:13:16 am »

Do yourself a favor; get a pair of cats as soon as possible.  It will keep your vermin population down.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:05 am »

turns out the goblins were alive. 
I Sprung...5 goblin ambushes at the exact same time. yeah. talk about learning cliff. My new fortress has plenty of traps to deal with the first goblin encounter. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:23 am »

Well...in my opinion, playing DF for the first time is basically an intelligence check. If your either dim or unlucky then you get !FUN!, but usually if your smart then you will have a rather uneventful game.

Dwarf Fortress has no learning curve, it has a gallows.

If you're smart, you'll still make many mistakes, since there is no way in hell that a newby can account for everything they need to. You just won't repeat them.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:52 am »

You'll be dreaming in ASCII in no time at all.
You dream in ASCII? I've only dreamt in RAW format...

I'm sigging this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:38 am »

You'll be dreaming in ASCII in no time at all.
You dream in ASCII? I've only dreamt in RAW format...

I'm sigging this.

Oh, hey! I'm famous! Whoo!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »

Well...in my opinion, playing DF for the first time is basically an intelligence check.
Nah. Too many factors. If you're very kinesthetic you probably won't venture further into DF and you'll likely quit. If you enjoy solving adversity in complexity or are creative and like making your own goals, you'll love it! DF is not indicative of any particular intelligence; the fact that it repulses mainstream gamers fixated on pretty explosions is a correlation that yep, does not imply causation.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »

Traps? I use raising bridges to fling goblins back over my walls into the moat.

I have 19 goblin archers chilling in a dried out reservoir of the moat, killing my fortress through subtle means.

Oh, and don't connect a well to the moat if you plan on flinging hostile crocodiles into it.

Also, magma solves all problems so get a hold of it asap.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:33 pm »

Well...in my opinion, playing DF for the first time is basically an intelligence check.
Nah. Too many factors. If you're very kinesthetic you probably won't venture further into DF and you'll likely quit. If you enjoy solving adversity in complexity or are creative and like making your own goals, you'll love it! DF is not indicative of any particular intelligence; the fact that it repulses mainstream gamers fixated on pretty explosions is a correlation that yep, does not imply causation.

Oh come on!  Surely at the very least it implies causation.   :)
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:19 pm »

Traps? I use raising bridges to fling goblins back over my walls into the moat.
Oh yeah? Well I have that as a walkway into my cliff-mounted fort, and a long bridge while at it. Furthermore, I also have pillboxes next to it for my crossbowdwarves to shoot them off like one of those carnival duck shooting games after I pull away the first and last access bridges; and to further make things more interesting, I am intent on also making a ballista shooting range (shooting from North at a closed front door), as well as a minecart railgun firing down the long portion of it (from South from the Front Door; or close enough to it. Maybe 1 bridge down). So far, only the bridge is done, and the pillboxes are just started, with one of them completed.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:36:20 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2]