Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silicon & Steel - A 4 mohs? Sci-Fi SG  (Read 1315 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Silicon & Steel - A 4 mohs? Sci-Fi SG
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:55:30 pm »

- Hyperspace jump complete
- Energy readings outside of acceptable deviations, checking for anomalies.
- no apparent anomalies detected, proceeding as normal
- standardizing trajectories
- stabilizing orbit
- mapping system
- system mapping complete
- Engaging hyper-sleep depressurization
- The director is awake
- Further decision making deferred to the director

"Welcome! We have arrived in system B-22A7. I am Ci - 7, masterclass AI. The entire ship is at your disposal, director. We await your orders."

Spoiler: what is this? (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:33:11 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon & Steel - A hard Sci-Fi SG
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:09 am »

While it's a bit inauspicious to start a "hard sci-fi" with the word "hyperspace", I expect that this will be better than the whatever goes god games. That said,

>Query system map
>Query ship contents
>Query blueprints list
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon & Steel - A 7 mohs Sci-Fi SG
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:52:06 am »

Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail or both.
I'm more with the emphasis on detail than the scientific accuracy. If you were to query the history of hyperspace, I would have a full pseudo-science explanation for you.

still... you have a point. Name change in progress.
>Query system map

"We are orbiting a single star system. The system is divided by a single asteroid belt. There are 3 rockey inner planets, 1 earth-like in size and atmosphere. This was our intended target. There also exists 2 planets closer to the sun. One contains little atmosphere, the other contains extremely dense atmosphere.  Imminently outside the belt there is another rocky planet, little atmosphere and 1.8 times earth size. The system also contains 3 large gas planets"

>Query ship contents

1 crew module
1 hyper sleep system
Integrated life support systems

38 unfitted satellite systems
12 mapping satellites
10 Communication satellites

5000 unfitted drones
2000 construction drones (1/2 propulsion)(1/2 grounded)
200 combat drones (1/2 propulsion)(1/2 grounded)
2 medical drones (grounded)

1 exo-suite
1 space suite

2 class 3 fabricators
2000 tons raw materials (inorganic)

1 class 2 bio-synthesizer
20 active cell line cultures
500 tons of organic materials
(large DNA banks)

1 AI core
Active AI systems

Integrated Comm Networks

3 Panther class atmospheric lander shuttles
20 Seahorse class transports
1 Stingray class gunship

(large amounts of fuel)

Query blueprints list
"As the director, you are responsible for the design of different systems. If this is unsatisfactory, you may specify an end-goal for a system and I will attempt to generate a design that meets the requirements."

"For the record director, I am a highly advanced AI. There is no need for you to state your wishes through traditional commands unless you wish to do so. I am capable of colloquial comprehension."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:34 am »

((That should be a 4.5, maybe a 5, at least in the scale I checked. You can't go to 7 in that scale...))

Evaluate the fourth planet's gravity, and if our flying drones are rated for it.
Deploy three mapping satellites in complementary polar orbits to each of the four inner planets (I'm assuming they also can scan for resources).
Deploy three communication satellites in geostationary orbit around the third planet, and at its L4 and L5 to ensure intra-system communications.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:40:59 am by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:38:29 am »

"Satellites have been deployed, burning for high velocity, low altitude orbits. This will allow for the rapid acquisition of information, though they will be relatively unmovable afterwards."

"The fourth planet's gravity is 1.8 times that of earth. Our propulsion drones are mainly designed for use outside of atmospheric conditions. I do not recommend deploying propulsion drones in atmospheric conditions "

"Compiling information from deployed satellites. Remaining fuel will be used to bring them to stable orbits at higher velocity."

Scan results for planet designated "4". No biological sources detected. Varied and plentiful mineral deposits detected. Due to high gravity, I do not recommend this planet for mineral exploitation at this time.

Scan results for planet designated "3". Minimal biological sources detected. Varied and plentiful mineral deposits detected. I recommend this planet for exploitation.
Communication satellites functional over this planet. Drones will be operable over the entire surface.

Scan results for planet designated "2" No biological sources detected. Minimal mineral variety. Due to low resource availability I do not recommend this planet for exploitation.

Scan results for planet designated "1" Irregular orbit detected. Heavy biological sources detected. Extent of mineral availability unclear. Interference from biological activity and heavy atmosphere interferes with information acquisition. Planet is highly anomalous. I recommend we wait until we are further established before further investigating this planet.

"The ship has been brought into a far orbit the the planet designated "3" during this time."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:54:11 am »

Describe the capacity and capabilities of the shuttles, transports and gunship.

Establish a mineral critical priority list.
Fabricate the necessary parts to fit 1000 unfitted drones for mining. Use the list to determine their allocation.
Dispatch them to planet 3 according to the list.
Dispatch 500 fabricator drones, one class 3 fabricator and resources to build a mineral smelter and a chemical refinery.
Dispatch 100 combat drones for security, allocated according to assets value.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:59:00 am by Maegil »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:25:39 am »

Describe the capacity and capabilities of the shuttles, transports and gunship.

Establish a mineral critical priority list.
Fabricate the necessary parts to fit 1000 unfitted drones for mining. Use the list to determine their allocation.
Dispatch them to planet 3 according to the list, with 100 combat drones for security.

"Minerals with high iron content and chromite to create steel will be important for industry construction.
Gold, lithium, aluminum, are important for electronic systems.

Current stocks of Inorganic material is high value, multi purpose materials manufactured on the core worlds.

It is possible to process ores in the ship fabricators, but the fuel costs and logistics problems would be incredibly limiting. I would recommend the construction of processing facilities on the surface of the planet. "

"The seahorse class transports are intended for cargo transport through both atmosphere and vacuum. They may carry up to 5 tons of cargo apice.

The panther class landers are repurposed military atmospheric landers. They are designed for high velocity atmospheric entry carrying biologicals and drones. They may carry 200 units apice.

The stingray class gunship is a military gunship designed for atmospheric use. It is currently outfitted with two tungsten type railguns and 4 auto turrets. It is small enough to fit in a seahorse class transport. It is not intended for use in vacuum. "

1000 tons of material used in the fabrication of mining equipment. Drones have been outfitted for mining.Though unspecified, I took the liberty of manufacturing them as grounded drones, as per your intended use of them.
3 (P)anther class transports loaded with mining drones. Loading the additional drones in S class transports runs the risk of damaging them during transport. Action delayed for confirmation.

Shuttles launched. They will arrive next turn. Target landing zone is a relatively flat area high in ferrous materials.

Alert! Contact lost with satellites orbiting planet designated as "1"."

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

((That should be a 4.5, maybe a 5, at least in the scale I checked. You can't go to 7 in that scale...))
I didn't realise that was an actual thing. Probably around a 4 on that scale.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:31:50 am by helmacon »

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon & Steel - A 4 mohs? Sci-Fi SG
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:07:26 am »

((Please take another look at my posts before posting, I have a big tendency to edit them - so much that I even sigged it!
I know, it's a terrible habit. Typewriters and correction fluid were my bane, I had to make several handwritten drafts before typing; digital text made it incommensurably easier to change the text, but worsened the compulsion tenfold...

Specifically, you missed the L4 and L5 satellites and "Dispatch 500 fabricator drones, one class 3 fabricator and resources to build a mineral smelter and a chemical refinery." Then, some more or less change in the wording.))

Delay transporting, do not take unnecessary risks.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »

PTW
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »

Oh please! Since you're here, post to play, it's more fun for the GM if he's got more than just one player!