Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! question.  (Read 833 times)

SuperLuminalMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! question.
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:15 am »

Hi everybody, this is my first post, and I'm sorry for not introducing myself properly, but i have a question. 

Regarding !!SCIENCE!!

I'm looking for a structure/construction/thingy that stops flying objects, like the fallout from a room full of 10xblade traps, but also allows vertical fluid flow, so that the room can be pressure flooded with magma, to remove the impurities diced goblins from my goblinite. I don't want my blade traps to fling the precious metal into the magma pool.

Any suggestions?  If I get nothing, i'll just have to lose the mincing stage from the trap ore processor. 

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! question.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:09 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Hatch_cover

first dice your goblins, then open the hatches to release the magma.

SuperLuminalMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »

But what happens to objects on the hatch cover as it's opened, are they flung across the room, drop straight down, or vanish DAS style?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »

Floor grates or floor bars?
My designs are usually the room that is filled with magma from above, with drainages at the walls where the magma fpours when it's done. THe hole is blocked with raising bridge, to hid it from trolls. Like this

▓▓╥+++
▓#║+g+
▓▓╨+++

After you drain the magma, most of goblinite is collected at the grate tile.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »

But what happens to objects on the hatch cover as it's opened, are they flung across the room, drop straight down, or vanish DAS style?
They drop straight down. Retracting bridges, on the other hand, fling objects around before they drop.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.