Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647062 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11610 on: October 04, 2014, 07:02:38 am »

Yeah, if we're going to go an a full on Palestine tangent, let's go the the Middle-Eastern thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: October 04, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

It's not a full on Palestine tangent. We arced around and ended up with poland being irrelevant.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:41 am »

Well, I just realized we don't have a middle-east thread anymore, so we might as well go on until someone feels like re-creating one. I'm not doing that.

So regarding the electric network.

A) I guess it must have been plugged into the Israeli network, yes. It's not like there's a ton of alternative, since Israel also destroy EU-financed power plants.

B) If they do not pay without a good reasons, Israeli power companies would indeed be justified in not giving them power anymore, just like they would do to Israeli companies. However, I seriously doubt that an Israeli that doesn't pay his electricity bills will find a tank blowing up his electrical installations.

C) The planning permit is a sham. Just like Israel evicts Palestinian to create "National Parks" that get turned into settlements a few years later, the planning permits are used to deny Palestinians the infrastructure they need and the room they need. Hence the denunciation of it as a 'fallacy' by Amnesty.

On another note, I never understood why the EU doesn't recognize Palestine as a state. The official excuse is something like "That need to arise out of the peace process", but by what right do the Israeli get a state from the get-go while the Palestinian need to haggle for it?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:41 am »

but by what right do the Israeli get a state from the get-go while the Palestinian need to haggle for it?

ww2 and america, respectively

i guess you could say post-war decolonization to the former but there were more important factors at play too

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: October 04, 2014, 07:29:46 am »

Also non-recognition of Israel by most Arab nations - the famous three nos of Khartoum. Recognition of Palestine is a bargaining chip, noothing more, nothing less.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: October 04, 2014, 07:32:11 am »

Well, there is a long-standing proposal by the Arab league to give full recognition to Israel if they pull back to the 1967 borders.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: October 04, 2014, 07:38:03 am »

aka never

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:08 am »

So yeah, they're also using it as a bargaining chip. What I don't get is why we're on Israel's side in this bargain I guess.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: October 04, 2014, 08:16:33 am »

Well, there is a long-standing proposal by the Arab league to give full recognition to Israel if they pull back to the 1967 borders.

So, we were trying to crush your state for 20 years, got kicked every time, and now we are offering to acknowledge that you actually exist, if you give up everything you won from us during the time we tried to destroy you completely... Yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: October 04, 2014, 08:32:22 am »

That assumes that the only the good guys ever win wars.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: October 04, 2014, 08:50:20 am »

Well, if they are willing to recognize the country that is 'bad guys' it is not stupid, but malevolent, isn't it? :P
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: October 04, 2014, 08:53:29 am »

That assumes that the only the good guys ever win wars.
Yes, because whoever wins the war becomes the good guy.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: October 04, 2014, 08:57:38 am »

Well, I just realized we don't have a middle-east thread anymore, so we might as well go on until someone feels like re-creating one. I'm not doing that.

So regarding the electric network.

A) I guess it must have been plugged into the Israeli network, yes. It's not like there's a ton of alternative, since Israel also destroy EU-financed power plants.

B) If they do not pay without a good reasons, Israeli power companies would indeed be justified in not giving them power anymore, just like they would do to Israeli companies. However, I seriously doubt that an Israeli that doesn't pay his electricity bills will find a tank blowing up his electrical installations.

C) The planning permit is a sham. Just like Israel evicts Palestinian to create "National Parks" that get turned into settlements a few years later, the planning permits are used to deny Palestinians the infrastructure they need and the room they need. Hence the denunciation of it as a 'fallacy' by Amnesty.

On another note, I never understood why the EU doesn't recognize Palestine as a state. The official excuse is something like "That need to arise out of the peace process", but by what right do the Israeli get a state from the get-go while the Palestinian need to haggle for it?

A) How is that related to the fact they don't pay their bills and build without proper permits? and if they don't get proper building permits for that farm, do they still have the right to build it? in area C, a full israeli controlled area?

B) What possible good reasons? Anyway, the israeli will see his electricity shutting off, unlike the palestinian who keeps getting his electricity despite not paying. and if an israeli builds illegally, yes, the government will send bulldozers to destroy it, on the expense of the guy who built illegally, unlike in the palestinian case. the fact the administration needs to send tanks to safeguard the bulldozers in some of the palestinian cases, well, that's another issue.

C) So, israel should just let anyone build without permits? including its own citizens? you know, they don't require it just from palestinians, right? in my little, full of jewish israelis, home town in the middle of israel we got a serious issue of having available apartments because the country doesn't give us building permits to build new apartments. should i go to the UN? become a terrorist?

The same administration that destroyed that illegal electric grid, has also destroyed a greenery and a warehouse on a land never before been tilled or belonged to anyone (In fact, this land is historically known to have jews living in it even before the establishment of the state of israel). only this time it was a jewish greenry and a warehouse, citing it was an illegal project built without building permits. so yeah, bulldozers, no tanks were needed. and it makes you wonder.
http://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/284996

BS, that proposal is full recognition of israel as a state. not a jewish state. meaning, a state which must see the return of all the palestinians and their descendants, meaning, they are willing to recognize israel so long it will be a palestinian majority state.

So, we were trying to crush your state for 20 years, got kicked every time, and now we are offering to acknowledge that you actually exist, if you give up everything you won from us during the time we tried to destroy you completely... Yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable.

Bingo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:51:00 pm by burningpet »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: October 04, 2014, 09:05:00 am »

BS, that proposal is full recognition of israel as a state. not a jewish state. meaning, a state which must see the return of all the palestinians and their descendants, meaning, they are willing to recognize israel so long it will be a palestinian majority state.

could you kindly rephrase this whole part

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: October 04, 2014, 09:08:32 am »

As in, rephrase that you could understand it, or rephrase so it would be politically correct?
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1393