Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646478 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13755 on: January 04, 2015, 07:39:16 am »

Well, we can't let Russian-speaking EU citizens depends on the Kremlin for news.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: January 04, 2015, 07:41:09 am »

The European TV channel would feature entertainment as well as “very factually accurate news”, and should not be another propaganda tool, Edgars Rinkēvičs, the foreign minister of Latvia, told BuzzFeed News in an interview.

i say bring it

only if for the benefit of people wishing to laugh at edgars here when they flub up

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: January 04, 2015, 07:44:21 am »

The European TV channel would feature entertainment as well as “very factually accurate news”, and should not be another propaganda tool, Edgars Rinkēvičs, the foreign minister of Latvia, told BuzzFeed News in an interview.
They actually write that? How is that going to work for a channel that is created explicitly for political reasons?

I mean, if they really want to do that stuff, let them. It's just very strange to claim it won't contain propaganda.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: January 04, 2015, 07:45:56 am »

They actually write that? How is that going to work for a channel that is created explicitly for political reasons?

I mean, if they really want to do that stuff, let them. It's just very strange to claim it won't contain propaganda.
But you see, "propaganda" is something that backwards and communist states do!

When a progressive democratic society does it, it's called "factually accurate news".
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:04 am »

Oh, I forgot. Sorry about that.
Taste my Paci-Fist

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:54 am »

Okay, the article that has been linked specifically talked about conviction - that means, if my English is not failing, a prosecution and a guilty verdict. Don't really know anything about Belgian law, so I can only interpolate from what law I know. Here we also don't sentence insane people, the court gives them special protective measures (one of which is indefinite internment in facility).
My first impression was that he was found responsible for the crimes, but did them because of some underlying cause. So that was wrong.
I'm quite certain that he was not convicted, but (forcibly) interned. After all, that is the language utilized in all Belgian media, and I have no evidence off the contrary.

However, I know that I thus imply that pretty much all English language media got it wrong, including reliable sources like the BBC and the Time magazine, are wrong.

That said, it comes down to money, probably there wasn't enough allocated for department of justice to build up a interment facility for insane people, but the Belgian lawmakers were too overzealous and added such legal requirement for government to penal code. The lesson from this is, just because you legislate something, doesn't mean it is fulfillable in practice.
The departement of Justice is, in general, a complete mess.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: January 04, 2015, 07:58:32 am »

So, we are back to having truth and facts depend on the point of view?

That is, like, half of propaganda: denying actual facts with made up things, to make every fact and news source seem less reliable and more questionable, while the other half is spreading lies and made up facts supporting an alternative view.

There really should be some kind of fact-checking agencies with good publicity like there are in the US.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: January 04, 2015, 08:02:46 am »

That is, like, half of propaganda: denying actual facts with made up things, to make every fact and news source seem less reliable and more questionable, while the other half is spreading lies and made up facts supporting an alternative view.

There really should be some kind of fact-checking agencies with good publicity like there are in the US.

Is there even one objective truth? Are actual facts really facts? Aren't statistics even worse than damned lies? You can twist almost everything in news by the correct way of cutting out of context, changing definitions and montage.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: January 04, 2015, 08:04:51 am »

If any such agency can exist, it'll certainly be NOT in US, since US people have very strong fanatical tendencies.

Ever heard of Young Earth Creationists?
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: January 04, 2015, 08:06:04 am »

They actually already have fact-checking agencies that make a decent job.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:11 am »

If any such agency can exist, it'll certainly be NOT in US, since US people have very strong fanatical tendencies.

Ever heard of Young Earth Creationists?

Please stop replying to my posts. You lack all constructibility. The world doesnt circle around Russian and US ultranationalists or religious nuts m'kay? Facts are facts.

They actually already have fact-checking agencies that make a decent job.

Yeah, I know. I keep following a couple of them but since a day only has 24 hours keeping up with what happens in the world is starting to feel like a 2nd (or 3rd...) job at times. Too much to read, so little time.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: January 04, 2015, 08:33:30 am »

My point is not that you cannot have facts, but that any political power is not in the position to provide them.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: January 04, 2015, 08:34:10 am »

Why? The BBC for example is a government-owned media providing good quality news.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: January 04, 2015, 08:38:07 am »

Why? The BBC for example is a government-owned media providing good quality news.

it provided good quality news about scotland, right guys?

every sort of media has its biases

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: January 04, 2015, 08:39:49 am »

Legally required too..

it provided good quality news about scotland, right guys?

every sort of media has its biases

Actually, it generally did, in its usually objective non-commentary sort of way. Most complaints abut the BBC's conduct came from the "yes" camp who complained they were not "pro-yes" enough, rather than there being a pro-no slant.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1393