Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1642347 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14220 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:31 am »

... that would be asking westerners to actually differentiate between muslim groups, though. If the last decade and change is anything to go by, that's apparently asking too much :-\

Though I guess it's better over in europe or somethin', I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: January 12, 2015, 11:04:02 am »

Remember the submarine hunt in Sweden? Apparently there was one more sighting, that time very close to Stockholm, just days after the wide scale searches were stopped...

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/misstankt-ubat-jagades-i-stockholms-inlopp/
Could you give us a rough translation? I haven't gotten around to learning a Nordic language yet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14222 on: January 12, 2015, 11:42:12 am »

Remember the submarine hunt in Sweden? Apparently there was one more sighting, that time very close to Stockholm, just days after the wide scale searches were stopped...

Could you give us a rough translation? I haven't gotten around to learning a Nordic language yet.

Ahh yeah.

Shortly put, there was a new and more trustworthy sighting the very next week the search was stopped that they managed to conceal until now. Just kilometers from Stockholm's center, very deep in the archipelago and right in the middle of a shipping lane. Apparently a photograph was again taken by a civilian. That contact was also searched for by a ship just hours later but without luck.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: January 12, 2015, 12:02:18 pm »

Well, it's not really the risk, you have more Jews getting killed by terrorism in Israel than in Belgium or France. Talking with Jewish friends, it's more that they don't feel supported here, whereas in Israel, they are part of a community that will support its stricken.

It appears that more than half of that 10,000 french military personnel were actually dispatched specifically for protecting jewish buildings, so the risk is most definitely there if you ask the french government.
https://twitter.com/Shlibness/status/554669841857404928/photo/

The french prime minister was concerned by jews fleeing france even before the charlie hebdo attack
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/01/french-prime-minister-warns-if-jews-flee-the-republic-will-be-judged-a-failure/384410/

Its not only about killings but a general atmosphere. if getting beaten and yelled at for being a jew is a common practice in France or Belgium, then naturally they will want to go to a place where it doesn't happen. the jews are not stupid, they see the muslim population getting larger (Which by itself isn't a bad thing, but muslims tend to also have radical muslims within them and those don't like jews) and the far-right parties are getting more votes across europe. those factors contribute greatly to the steep rise in anti-semitism in Europe. whether they face a real WW2 like risk, i don't think so, but even something remotely close is something they don't have to stay for. they got other options now and not too bad ones at that. (The United States, Australia, Canada and Israel are very welcoming to them).

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14224 on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »

Just because the two groups are rivals doesn't neccesarily stop the three men from working together independently of ISIS and AQAP.
Exactly my point.

It appears that more than half of that 10,000 french military personnel were actually dispatched specifically for protecting jewish buildings, so the risk is most definitely there if you ask the french government.
https://twitter.com/Shlibness/status/554669841857404928/photo/
Your link is borked a bit.

BBC however also confirms (via French interior minister) that. The soldiers will also be used to protect synagogues but also mosques.

In the article above there's also a photo of french policemen using bikes to patrol around.

In what appears to be body armor.

Badass? Y/N
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14225 on: January 12, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »

I liked that article. The points being that the while "fundamentalism vs. liberalism" is a kind of false dichotomy, what we need is to co-opt the sentiments that gives raise to alienation and eventually joining a jihadist group.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: January 12, 2015, 01:02:26 pm »

Ahh yeah.

Shortly put, there was a new and more trustworthy sighting the very next week the search was stopped that they managed to conceal until now. Just kilometers from Stockholm's center, very deep in the archipelago and right in the middle of a shipping lane. Apparently a photograph was again taken by a civilian. That contact was also searched for by a ship just hours later but without luck.

Is the photo there supposed to be the one the civillian took or is that just a photo of the area? Because to my untrained eye, I don't see anything.

I liked that article. The points being that the while "fundamentalism vs. liberalism" is a kind of false dichotomy, what we need is to co-opt the sentiments that gives raise to alienation and eventually joining a jihadist group.

That article is full of philosophy. Also, I don't get the second point you're describing there, what do you mean by that?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:07:57 pm by smjjames »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14227 on: January 12, 2015, 01:29:50 pm »

Edit: Well, apparently Obama wasn't at the rally, so, question to you guys in Europe, how big of a deal do you guys make of it with Obama or some other high ranking official (I thought John Kerry was there???) not being there? CNN is making it a moderately big deal, or at least questioning (as they should) why he wasn't there.
Mostly this.
With respect to the bullshit of the day, if you’ve really convinced yourself that what Paris needs right now is the logistical nightmare that accompanies a visit by the President of the United States, then you’re a better hack than I thought.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »

As far as I see, reaction to the presence of world leaders at that march is mostly annoyance at what many see as political recuperation. (Lots of comments about Sarkozy jostling to get the good photo ops while leader of pretty much nothing, about the hypocrisy of Nethanyahu being there while Israel ban cartoonists sympathetic to Palestinians from entry, and something similar about the Spanish PM and his recent gag laws. A couple about how Omar Bongo made it to a march in favour of freedom of speech too.)

Also amusement at the fact that all the leaders look like they're forming a black block on aerial photos.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »

Is the photo there supposed to be the one the civillian took or is that just a photo of the area? Because to my untrained eye, I don't see anything.

Nope, not the same photo. Supposedly it hasn't been published yet.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:01 pm »

I can't think why anyone would argue Spain or Israel has no "right" to send their representatives to that rally while Qatar's, Jordan's,  UAE's, Turkey's and Russia's were there, not to mention the Palestinians Authorities which would probably had executed the charlie hebdo staff themselves if they were operating from Palestine rather than Paris.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

Pretty much the above. I heard some nasty stories about Hollande not wanting Netanjahu there, despite the obviously antisemitic nature of one of the attacks. And when Netanjahu invited himself, Hollande invited Abbas out of spite...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: January 12, 2015, 02:25:12 pm »

Oh, I saw some comments about Erdogan and Lavrov's presence there too. Anyway, the general feeling was that it was between a joke and a stain.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14233 on: January 12, 2015, 02:37:12 pm »

Ahh yeah.

Can submarines trolls states?

(:P)
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14234 on: January 12, 2015, 02:39:32 pm »

In other words, the march, which was ideally supposed to stay above politics, still fell victim to the politics happening between various countries.

On Obama, if Obama himself couldn't be there (though arguably there would be a heck of a lot of protection from the other peoples security), then why not John Kerry (who I thought was over there) or some other high ranking official.
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1393