Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1689853 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15180 on: March 09, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »

Yeah, was a bit surprised no one brought that up yet. It's actually a bit of an old news, iirc first report came two days ago when they reported two suspects, but according to yesterdays article, as smjjames said, there are now five of them, with 6th being killed in police raid

I'd be interested to hear what our Russian compatriots think about that. Personally, yeah, it does sound a bit too convenient, with all of them being "other" Russians aka Chechens. Also something something about Muhammad caricatures that Nemetsov supported or something and they being all Muslims... dunno, too professional for some random religious extremism related crime.

Also, in more Russian news: Vladimir Putin has admitted for the first time that the plan to annex Crimea was ordered weeks before the referendum on self-determination.

So, thoughts?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:32 pm »

Given that the bradley/chelsea manning diplomatic cable leak implicated russia in fomenting unrest in crimea for years prior, literally goading the region into civil conflict, I cant help but be "completely unsurprised" by this.

Putin is a douche. A scheming, blood thirsty, and politicaly savvy douche, but still a douche.

nearly all signs point to his wantonly orchestrating the whole thing.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:41 pm »

"never" is a long time. I'm sure we'll hear about them killers getting caught or something of that kind in a week or two.

What would you think if in a week or two this has not happened?
I would think that they're pretty good at hiding.

What would you think if there are no suspects and no apparent urgency to an investigation whatsoever?
I would think nothing because it wouldn't happen.
fuck you mainiac I was right

Given that the bradley/chelsea manning diplomatic cable leak implicated russia in fomenting unrest in crimea for years prior, literally goading the region into civil conflict, I cant help but be "completely unsurprised" by this.

Putin is a douche. A scheming, blood thirsty, and politicaly savvy douche, but still a douche.

nearly all signs point to his wantonly orchestrating the whole thing.
You'd have to call 80% of Russian douches, too, because we're with him on this question.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:09:28 pm by Sergarr »
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »

Kids, petty bickering is against the rules. Please take it outside.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15185 on: March 09, 2015, 01:10:37 pm »

Condescension might not be strictly against the rules but it's not really conducive to a healthy discussion environment.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: March 09, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »

being condescending was not intentional. I call all kinds of people "kids".  If offense was taken, I apologize.  I just dont like petty bickering/quibbling.

serrgar: why is 80% of russia behind the purposeful destabilization of a formerly peaceful neighbor?

That sounds almost like 80% of russia openly condones briggandry.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:16:11 pm by wierd »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

Picking a few random names from your roster of terrorists is not the same thing as having actual suspects (and please try to keep it cool).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15188 on: March 09, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »

being condescending was not intentional. I call all kinds of people "kids".  If offense was taken, I apologize.  I just dont like petty bickering/quibbling.

Ah, sure. I can understand all of that. It's just that it comes off as calling them children, which is not particularly polite-sounding.

I'll try not to jump so much next time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15189 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »

In all honesty, they ARE, theoretically and for all the practical reasons, "actual suspects".  :P

... But I see your point.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: March 09, 2015, 01:24:26 pm »

I believe the term you are looking for lies somewhere between "scapegoat", and "patsy".

An actual suspect has a chain of motives and oportunities that is basically never "perfect."

Misunderstanding, conflation, transferrence (psychological), and conspiracy are all hard features of the human condition, and all manifest anomalous motive structures; the way each member of the conspiracy views the enemy is different, because each has different experiences to shape that view, and so uniformity is a sign of artificiality.

Either the terrorists are part of a literal hivemind, or the story reeks of political contrivance.

Given the prevailing track record of Putin and his government in regard to "getting what it wants", the preponderance of evidence suggests this is a bone thrown to the public, and little more.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15191 on: March 09, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »

serrgar: why is 80% of russia behind the purposeful destabilization of a formerly peaceful neighbor?

That sounds almost like 80% of russia openly condones briggandry.
80% of Russia supports things that will strengthen Russia's position. Returning Crimea back is one of those things that strengthen Russia's position.
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »

Can you give us one example of an egregious injustice which does not strengthen Russia's Putin's position? Oppressive regimes thrive on injustice.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »

Can you give us one example of an egregious injustice which does not strengthen Russia's Putin's position? Oppressive regimes thrive on injustice.
Killing people instead of sending them into "workcamps", for example. Germans were quite foolish when they did that; well their entire ideology was self-defeating, so it's no wonder they did that.
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: March 09, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »

Killing people instead of sending them into "workcamps", for example. Germans were quite foolish when they did that; well their entire ideology was self-defeating, so it's no wonder they did that.
Er... how is that worse than sending them into the camps? Soviet labour camps were never about killing people -- the inmates just "happened" to have extremely high mortality rates.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:19:13 pm by surqimus »
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1393