Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646862 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16785 on: May 23, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

Northern Ireland is now the only place in the UK and Ireland with no equal marriage legislation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: May 23, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »

What about Isle of Man?
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: May 23, 2015, 01:19:21 pm »

What about Isle of Man?

I don't know about the Manx, they have odd laws though. They're also not part of the UK or Ireland so I avoided referring to the Isles as a whole.

The last I checked same sex marriage is illegal on the Isle of Man and buggery is a criminal offence if it involves more than two people. If more than two are present then it's considered public.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:23:59 pm by Owlbread »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:46 pm »

So, uh, hey. Apparently go ireland? Looks like enough of the count is in that anything but yes happening on the same-sex marriage legalization is impossible. Something like 3/4ths of the country's been tallied, from what I can tell, with only one district or whatever they are coming out no and everyone else coming out pretty decisively (as in, many places had a 2:1 yes to no ratio) yes.

Cheers to 'em for apparently becoming the first country to legalize it by direct public referendum.

E: Make that 40 of the 43 constituencies, total support at 60-something percent. For voting, that's pretty incredible.

E2: And apparently it's passed. 60+% turnout, 60+% approval, something like 36% nay votes. Congratulations, ireland!
As a proud and straight Irish man I'm very pleased with this result but not surprised. The large turnout and high votes for yes effectively sink any imaginable challenges to this being implemented. Weird to think that this is the same place that in 1993 was defending it's right to ban being gay to the European Courts (they lost and our government where forced to decriminalise it). Here we are a little over two decades latter and two of every three people are ignoring the once unquestioned Church's calls to vote no and all the political parties with seats officially support a yes vote. It's a very different place now from when I was born. How come I never noticed the change? Cause it's a good change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: May 23, 2015, 02:45:47 pm »

Ukraine is on a verge of technical default after just one year of new government's rule, and somehow it's Russia that's the loser?

That's some weird reality you're living in.

Oh no, if they default they'd probably see their currency lose 25% or 50% of it's value.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16790 on: May 23, 2015, 03:14:13 pm »

Ukraine is on a verge of technical default after just one year of new government's rule, and somehow it's Russia that's the loser?

That's some weird reality you're living in.

Oh no, if they default they'd probably see their currency lose 25% or 50% of it's value.
U sure about that it'll be limited to that? What about "hyper-inflation", weren't you predicting that it'll happen to Russia, in similar circumstances?
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: May 23, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »

I actually hope that this "right to stop foreign debt payments if needed" will be used against Russia and it will be the only country we will use it against.

Sure, Russia will go to international court and more, but it can win several years of time and we always can go "First Russia should pay hundred of billions of fines for occupation, then we will repay our debts"

Sadly, I doubt our government have balls to do just this and they will continue paying money to the country we are at war with. :(

____

I think he means - that if default risk was as real as article says, Ukrainian currency would lose 25-50% in a matter of days not stay stable
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: May 23, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »

For some reason I think that Ukraine's Western backers will simply agree not to call Ukraine's refusal to pay debts to Russia a default, the rest will follow them without asking questions, and it will not be regarded as a default in the long run.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: May 23, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »

Ukraine's debt to Russia is not very significant (3 billion $), compared to the, you know, actual reason behind this law (private companies wanting their money on the loans and refusing to accept "restructurization", 23 billion $ total).
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: May 23, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

I just saw photographs of Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein (former political wing of the IRA) taking selfies and celebrating the referendum result with Panti Bliss, one of the tá campaign figureheads and apparently the most famous drag queen in Ireland, as well as Frances Fitzgerald, justice minister for the whole republic.

Spoiler: Eire Nua indeed. (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:16 am »

U sure about that it'll be limited to that? What about "hyper-inflation", weren't you predicting that it'll happen to Russia, in similar circumstances?

No actually, I was pretty clear that wasn't going to happen.

But thanks for playing!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16796 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13:30 am »

Things really don't look good for the last Lib Dem MP in Scotland. A by election seems really likely now because if he refuses to stand down for lying barefaced to his constituents and abusing his position he may be brought before the standards committee and his 10 day suspension would cause a by election. The Guardian has given a good report on the situation, meanwhile the Herald say the great buffoon has become "caught in his own tangled web of deceit".

As I said yesterday this may lead to a 57th SNP MP. Who knows, it depends how hard the Lib Dems fight.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: May 24, 2015, 07:18:11 am »

A politician may face consequences for lying?

:o :o :o
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: May 24, 2015, 07:22:14 am »

A politician may face consequences for lying?

:o :o :o

I know, Carmichael's only crime in the eyes of his peers is likely that he got caught. The way in which he did the smearing + lying though was really shady/sneaky and he has totally destroyed his good reputation. I used to respect him because although I always thought he was a stupid man he seemed to be a decent, fundamentally good person, but the "Nikileaks" fiasco showed he is kind of a snake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:27:34 am by Owlbread »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: May 24, 2015, 08:04:53 am »

I guess he must have thought he was so clever at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1393