Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1641921 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1785 on: October 04, 2013, 08:13:09 am »

I'm going to play devil advocate too.

If I entered a Mosque with shoes on, would I be kicked outside?
If I read a Torah book, would I be kicked outside the hebrew church? (Sinagogue-something ,right?)

Neither of the two actions harm anyone, but they're prohibited because of religious reasons. (Torah book can only be read by Hebrews, and Mosque are to be entered without shoes)

They are stupid laws. But they are respected for the 'live and let live' agreement between intelligent beings.

Let's reverse the situation, to put it in perspective.

A girl goes to a muslim school without the shawl on because she doesn't believe in Islam. She is kicked out.

The question isn't why the school is stupid in having such laws. The question is why the girl went to an islamic school in the first place if she didn't want to wear the shawl.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: October 04, 2013, 08:20:25 am »

But beards aren't against Catholic doctrine - this was clearly a case of poorly disguised racism/whateveryoucallmuslimhatin'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1787 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:38 am »

But the school regulation prohibits beards.
The school is 'Catholic' but if, on campus, nobody has a beard, then it's their call on the argument. It's a 'stupid' law, but it's there. Now, if you're telling me that some teachers have beards, and they keep them because 'Only religious beards are out' then yes, the school is racist.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:04 am »

But Shadenight, in the UK your arguments wouldn't cut it. Regardless of whether the school was Catholic or not; if they ban beards, even for religious reasons, that is considered discrimination and the school will probably be disciplined for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:46 am »

Then they wouldn't be able to prohibit, say, Jeans either.
At any rate, if this was only a matter of dress code, some sort of solution would have been found without making this a news item. It's discrimination, regardless of what they claimed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1790 on: October 04, 2013, 08:39:42 am »

But Shadenight, in the UK your arguments wouldn't cut it. Regardless of whether the school was Catholic or not; if they ban beards, even for religious reasons, that is considered discrimination and the school will probably be disciplined for it.

So, technically, if a girl went to an Islamic school in UK, and they threw her out because she refused to wear the shawl, that school too would be accused of discrimination, right?

Then they wouldn't be able to prohibit, say, Jeans either.
At any rate, if this was only a matter of dress code, some sort of solution would have been found without making this a news item. It's discrimination, regardless of what they claimed.

Well, what if the school really has a dress code that states 'No beards' and makes it strictly noticeable in their policy? Sure, it is undwarfenly, but the school has it in its law since...oh, I don't know. Let's say they're Beard-Haters since the 1900, or the 1800, or whenever the school has been founded. If you have a beard, don't go there. If you go there, you know you have to cut your beard. That's like saying you want to have a nice picnic, and then set up camp atop a hornet nest and near a bear cave.
You won't have a nice picnic. Sure, animal protection will kill the bear and smoke out the hornets, but the point is...they were both there first, why the hell did you have to go there to begin with?

This is the point I don't understand. Wasn't there another school? Wasn't there another institution? IF -as the article implies- it's written in the school's dresscode about 'not having beards' then they can't complain about it. I'd like to think the children were told of it before starting school, rather than on the first day of class.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: October 04, 2013, 08:46:29 am »

But beards aren't against Catholic doctrine - this was clearly a case of poorly disguised racism/whateveryoucallmuslimhatin'.
Eh, I don't see how a Catholic school deciding it doesn't like beards is any less a part of their doctrine than any other part of any religion to be honest. I mean as an atheist I don't hold any of their views particularly holy, so clean shaven seems about as valid as the rest really.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 04, 2013, 08:59:24 am »

Eh, I don't see how a Catholic school deciding it doesn't like beards is any less a part of their doctrine than any other part of any religion to be honest. I mean as an atheist I don't hold any of their views particularly holy, so clean shaven seems about as valid as the rest really.
I realize that my argument may not seem very serious at first, but just hear me out here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:/

Islamaphobia.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: October 04, 2013, 09:22:25 am »

So, technically, if a girl went to an Islamic school in UK, and they threw her out because she refused to wear the shawl, that school too would be accused of discrimination, right?

No, they probably wouldn't. Islamic institutions are usually given a wide berth by those with such agendas because the price of offending them is greater than the price of offending a Christian institution.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:32 am »

On a side note, is it possible that the beard thing was part of the schools dresscode without religious motivation. I mean, it's not because it's a Christian school that all the rules have to be enforced. I mean, my school* had a rule against headwear. Has nothing to do with religion, it's merely a tradition dating back to the previous century, when hats were reserved for civilized adults. As respect, the students were not allowed to wear any.

I'm pretty sure the beard thing has a similair explanation.

*Which like 75% of Belgian schools is Catholic

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:21 am »

It may very well be that it wasn't tied in with some kind of religious reasoning, but the fact is that if you do something like that in the UK it will be considered discriminatory. You have prohibited two people from having beards for religious reasons (they wanted the beards for religious reasons I mean) - that is taboo, and generally considered discriminatory. It is arguably so under law, and will most likely be challenged by the Islamic community.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: October 04, 2013, 09:36:43 am »

Really, any kind of dress code that goes beyong the social norm (nobody wants to see crotchless pants around) are ridiculous and we could do without.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:27 am »

Really, any kind of dress code that goes beyong the social norm (nobody wants to see crotchless pants around) are ridiculous and we could do without.
Problem is, social norm is vague. In the correct social environement, you'd get pretty weird things.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 04, 2013, 10:08:24 am »

10ebbor10:Catholic school in Belgian are a weird thing, they're publicly run and are just some weird consequences of the fight between liberals and catholics back in the days.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 04, 2013, 10:12:29 am »

10ebbor10:Catholic school in Belgian are a weird thing, they're publicly run and are just some weird consequences of the fight between liberals and catholics back in the days.
I know. Doesn't mean there's no relevancy though.

As a side note, the Catholic schools are not an offshoot of said conflict. The other 25% non-Catholic schools are. (Nitpick)
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1393