Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647192 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18465 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »

I for one would rather live in a world where we do think up to and beyond fifty generations down the line, so fifty generations down the line they don't look back on us and think "fuck you guys, how did you fuck up this badly"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18466 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »

Which terms devoid of reference are you talking about? You're the one being vague now.

The ones I've lost interest in at this point.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18467 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:47 am »

He's probably referring to "Anthropocene", and wondering which anthropological references in particular I am citing when I say that many past civilizations have fallen from resource mismanagement.

To help his troubled mind:

First up, What the hell is this "Anthropocene" thing?
Why, it is what many scientists are calling this era we find ourselves in, where the dominant factor affecting global conditions is human economic activity. Here's an article from smithsonian.com to help.

Next up, What dead civilizations are you talking about, that died from resource misuse?

Well, for starters, there is the ancient puebloans, who had to abandon the majority of their settlements when they overtaxed their water use in their semi-arrid homeland territories, resulting in the destruction of their cliff-dwelling culture.  Then there is the Maya, who suffered ecological collapse from deforestation, resulting in back to back failures of agriculture, which they tried to fix with sacrifice-- which didnt work.  Do you need more, or are you satisfied yet? Perhaps the people from Easter Island might fit for you?  There are more of these than you can shake a stick at.

You can only write off ecological damage as an externality while the biosphere is able to adequately absorb the impact of that activity.  We are well past that point now. You cant write it off as an externality.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:31:49 am by wierd »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18468 on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:49 am »

I for one would rather live in a world where we do think up to and beyond fifty generations down the line, so fifty generations down the line they don't look back on us and think "fuck you guys, how did you fuck up this badly"
Did you read the rest of my post?
The people arguing based on evolutionary fitness scarcely seem to care about the damage they do to anything but themselves.
Taste my Paci-Fist

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18469 on: July 07, 2015, 05:13:16 am »

Overly simplified, but still good to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQiCN0YNmw
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18470 on: July 07, 2015, 05:47:56 am »

Brussel's cauliflower is highly flatulogenic
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18471 on: July 07, 2015, 07:08:56 am »

Governments are product of evolution. If they were as ineffective as anarchists claim they wouldn't exist.
Ineffective at what is the question. They are certainly ineffective at what I'd like them to do, that is, providing base necessities.
Man, Eastern Germany must be even shittier than I imaged, and I imagined it to be pretty shitty already. You guys don't even have food?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18472 on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:18 am »

Well, for starters, there is the ancient puebloans, who had to abandon the majority of their settlements when they overtaxed their water use in their semi-arrid homeland territories, resulting in the destruction of their cliff-dwelling culture.  Then there is the Maya, who suffered ecological collapse from deforestation, resulting in back to back failures of agriculture, which they tried to fix with sacrifice-- which didnt work.  Do you need more, or are you satisfied yet? Perhaps the people from Easter Island might fit for you?  There are more of these than you can shake a stick at.

Nearly happened in New Zealand too, if I recall correctly, as once the Maoris hunted and ate the entire moa population, they would have died from the resulting food shortages, especially as the island was somewhat overtaxed resource-wise in other areas too, had they not saved themselves by purging the weak through the medium of war, thus removing the surplus population.

Like, I'm pretty sure, literally. There was quite a bit of infighting, for resources, especially after the moas were gone.
One wheel short of a wagon

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18473 on: July 07, 2015, 08:15:57 am »

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:20:54 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18474 on: July 07, 2015, 08:30:34 am »

Some nationalist Ukrainian MPs have proposed to ban the name "Russia" in Ukraine and refer to that country only as "Muscovy".
It's nice to see Verkhovna Rada striving to solve actual Ukrainian problems.  :P

Well, banning is a wrong way to do it but fact is a fact, Muscovy is as related to (Rus)sia as USA to Britain and that is what should be written in Ukrainian schoolbooks.

BTW, what would Britain do if USA named itself something like Greater Britain :) ?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18475 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:43 am »

BTW, what would Britain do if USA named itself something like Greater Britain :) ?
Make the Queen President for lyfe, hoist the Union Jack and annex the unruly colonies

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18476 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:03 am »

What do you mean, would?

The Yanks will come to their senses evenutally, never fear. :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18477 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:35 am »

Rename themselves Greatest Britain?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18478 on: July 07, 2015, 08:45:06 am »

Some nationalist Ukrainian MPs have proposed to ban the name "Russia" in Ukraine and refer to that country only as "Muscovy".
It's nice to see Verkhovna Rada striving to solve actual Ukrainian problems.  :P

ROFL! XD

Technically Russia IS Muscovy anyway because Modern Russia developed from that.

*waits to see if he gets pummelled by fermented potatoes for doing Russian history wrong*

Edit: They even put an EUIII (or maybe EU IV) map into the article, heh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:55:04 am by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18479 on: July 07, 2015, 09:03:07 am »

Technically America is Britain because modern America developed from that
Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1393