Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647080 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18915 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:52 pm »

Rustiness of things heavily depends on the location where the things rust, since it's, you know, a chemical thing.

Characteristic letter "Ъ" at the end of a word practically screams "Imperial Russia" period, too. There are no words ending with "Ъ" in modern Russian language, you know. Not since 1930s.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »

Well, okay.

Just out of curiosity though, did they have mini-subs or midget subs back then?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: July 27, 2015, 08:50:09 pm »

wikipedia says yes

In the late 19th century Russia built a class of treadle powered submarines 4.5 meters in length designed by Stefan Drzewiecki they were withdrawn from service in 1886.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:13 pm »

Well, okay.

Just out of curiosity though, did they have mini-subs or midget subs back then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Som-class_submarine

Length:    20 m (66 ft)
Beam:    3.5 m (11 ft)
Draught:    2.9 m (9 ft 6 in)

Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:52:55 pm by Sergarr »
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:44 pm »

wikipedia says yes

In the late 19th century Russia built a class of treadle powered submarines 4.5 meters in length designed by Stefan Drzewiecki they were withdrawn from service in 1886.

Yeah, in the NINETEENTH century. The rest mentioned were in the 1930s (two boats) and in the late cold war period.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:59 pm »

Wow, that's really cool. Wonder what's in it other than corpses...

Wait, Sergarr, the first one (the Som) crashed while in service in the Baltic Sea... The rest were scuttled.

Was that one which crashed, recovered? Also, Russia would have no reason to be quiet about a wreck that old.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: July 27, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

yes im sure all of russia forgot about babby subs in between that period

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:38 pm »

Yes, it crashed. In Baltic Sea. Same place where this "russian minisub" has been found, ya know.

There's a pretty dumb story behind how it got crashed, too. Got run over by a Sweden steamship while in submerged position.

It was never recovered, since there's no indication of that anywhere; ships are, by default, not recovered if possible. Especially considering the time period we're speaking about.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: July 27, 2015, 10:50:29 pm »

Yes, it crashed. In Baltic Sea. Same place where this "russian minisub" has been found, ya know.

There's a pretty dumb story behind how it got crashed, too. Got run over by a Sweden steamship while in submerged position.

It was never recovered, since there's no indication of that anywhere; ships are, by default, not recovered if possible. Especially considering the time period we're speaking about.

The Baltic Sea is a big place, if the crash site (or rough crash site) is known, then they just have to check the records and see if the wreck is the same one.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: July 28, 2015, 12:12:26 am »

Wrecks survive well in the Baltics because(at least a good part of) the bacteria that eats iron apparently does not survive well in saltless water.

Heres how well an actual WW I era submarine has survived the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5OA-MN-9s

Considering how small this new wreck is, only 20 meters in length, I'm willing to put my bet on USSR.

Yeh usually they just get declared as graves even if they are in shallow waters and recoverable. Subs getting run over by ships isnt all that silly... Theres at least one incident from the 90s where a Finnish cargo ship collided with a Swedish submarine. I couldnt find the pictures of the event right now but I've seen them in a blog, taken by the cargo ship crew. From what I recall Sweden even paid the repair bill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:24 am »

Wrecks survive well in the Baltics because(at least a good part of) the bacteria that eats iron apparently does not survive well in saltless water.

Heres how well an actual WW I era submarine has survived the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5OA-MN-9s

Considering how small this new wreck is, only 20 meters in length, I'm willing to put my bet on USSR.

Yeh usually they just get declared as graves even if they are in shallow waters and recoverable. Subs getting run over by ships isnt all that silly... Theres at least one incident from the 90s where a Finnish cargo ship collided with a Swedish submarine. I couldnt find the pictures of the event right now but I've seen them in a blog, taken by the cargo ship crew. From what I recall Sweden even paid the repair bill.

Except that Sergarr said that the Cyrillic letter "Ъ" at the end of the word (are we sure it's the end of the word though) practically screams Imperial Russia. The wreck certainly seems to fit the sunken minisub.

Would the Kremlin be silent on it because they're embarassed because someone found something from old Imperial Russia? Or more plausibly, they're silent because they don't know what sub it is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:06:12 am by smjjames »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:47 am »

Umm, actually, yeah, see this one:

Still, I wonder what it was doing there. Sweden was not a participant in WWI either.

edit: I've personally all but given up on analysing what Kremlin says or doesnt say.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:39 am »

Umm, actually, yeah, see this one:

Still, I wonder what it was doing there. Sweden was not a participant in WWI either.

edit: I've personally all but given up on analysing what Kremlin says or doesnt say.

Because that's where it sunk? We just need to find the records of where it sunk, I mean, they did record where the collision happened, right?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: July 28, 2015, 01:17:17 am »

I doubt that. Likely the cause of its loss was just guessed or handwaved. Its pretty commom actually. U-26 was reported(= thought) to have sunk in a mine hit(since it disappeared near a mine field) but now that the wreck was found, and there was no hole on the sub, the real cause remains unknown as the boat will never be entered or recovered.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: July 28, 2015, 02:15:24 am »

It seems that the location of the sub was known among divers for about a year, and this same diver group was the one that found the "Baltic UFO" (that turned out to be the concrete base of a long broken submarine trap or an actual natural geological formation) some years ago and similarly leaked information bit by bit to keep up the hype and advertise itself.

They shouldnt have published the picture with the text. Lol.

EDIT: Heres their site: http://www.oceanexplorer.se/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:32:35 am by Erkki »
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1393