Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624577 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18945 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:09 am »

I dont see how the US could bypass it.

iraq was kind of a thing

you may be riffing on russia, but don't forget basic facts, tia

(edit: though everyone including Russians themselves have known that since like 4 days after the incident, when the first photos became public)

propaganda is a thing m8, some people legit believe it's the reptilians/ukrainians/ancient island slavs/angry, confused argentinians lost when sailing to the malvinas/etc.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18946 on: July 30, 2015, 05:40:11 am »

In Iraq it was a case of ignoring the UN. So a tribunal or not wouldnt matter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: July 30, 2015, 05:47:15 am »

Yeah, if we want a CB, we can just have Ukraine ask us for troops. Plus, this whole Chapter only refer to the UNSC, I dont see how the US could bypass it.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
When it was clear that Russia would veto the UN resolution on Yugoslavia in 1999, the US and NATO started the war without the UNSC mandate. Should the US want a war that would contravene the UN charter in some way, no one will be able to stop them.

My point is, there was no way in hell Russia would approve a resolution that could possibly lead to several UNSC members ganging up on it. It would be like proudly placing a "Kick me" sign on yourself.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:48:56 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: July 30, 2015, 05:48:41 am »

(edit: though everyone including Russians themselves have known that since like 4 days after the incident, when the first photos became public)

propaganda is a thing m8, some people legit believe it's the reptilians/ukrainians/ancient island slavs/angry, confused argentinians lost when sailing to the malvinas/etc.

Aye, though I was thinking more about the leading Russian politicians and their diplomats, generally people in deicision making or other influential positions, rather than the main populace

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: July 30, 2015, 05:50:38 am »

Guardian GI, I dont really get your argument. Russia doesnt want to have something which could lead to a UNSC resolution blaming it, because the US and the West might just ignore the UNSC entirely?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: July 30, 2015, 05:51:54 am »

My point is, there was no way in hell Russia would approve a resolution that could possibly lead to several UNSC members ganging up on it. It would be like proudly placing a "Kick me" sign on yourself.

Then "we" need to take away Russia's veto right. UN is unfunctional in many ways as the deciding nations can stop it and its suborganizations from making decisions and acting.

See?  ::)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: July 30, 2015, 05:52:54 am »

a good solution would be to dissolve the un entirely, everyone ignores it anyway

right guys?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:19 am »

And institute a better pan-national institution, yes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: July 30, 2015, 05:56:31 am »

like the eu, except we'd have to rename it to something like the world union or something

it's not like all these nations need sovereignity or anything, it's just a big waste of time and resources
weak lw bait deployed, please hold
and brussels as capital of a non-country deserves to be the world capital, no doubt

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: July 30, 2015, 05:57:16 am »

Guardian GI, I dont really get your argument. Russia doesnt want to have something which could lead to a UNSC resolution blaming it, because the US and the West might just ignore the UNSC entirely?
It could lead to a really undesirable confrontation with the US and NATO, that could eventually turn into a war. No Russian diplomatic effort would be strong enough to deter US and NATO's hostile acts if things get really bad. If Russia decides to obstruct American hostile (military) actions against it in the UNSC, America and its allies would simply ignore the UNSC and go on anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:59:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: July 30, 2015, 05:58:53 am »

a good solution would be to dissolve the un entirely, everyone ignores it anyway

right guys?

We would never:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9N3NOutaQ

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:52 am »

Ok, Guardian, your logic here is: US and NATO want to attack Russia, so that's why they want this tribunal resolution to pass, and if Russia vetos the tribunal results, they'll ignore it and attack anyway.

The logical question here is: why would they even bother with "tribunals" and stuff, if they wanted to attack Russia? Wouldn't they just do it already, like in 1999 and 2003, if they really wanted it? And if they don't want it, then why do you think that this tribunal will result in something as drastic as de-facto declaration of war?
._.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:07 am »

On a different topic, you guys remember how a day or two ago David Cameron apologised to all the British holidaymakers who had been delayed after hundreds of refugees tried to force their way into the country via the channel tunnel?

I'm glad we can see what's really at stake with this immigration/refugee issue :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18958 on: July 30, 2015, 08:22:33 am »

Cameron is good at setting priorities

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18959 on: July 30, 2015, 08:26:54 am »

Oh come on, we (as in the US) aren't that stupid to suddenly go to war with Russia, much less just because Russia vetoed a memorial. With a Democrat as president anyway, most of the Republican candidates seem far more willing to go to war, and IMO, we need to stop getting ourselves into wars. Aside from the whole MidEast clusterfuck.

And yeah, Guardian, your logic sounds like what Sergarr says sometimes, but he's being logical here.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:32:19 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1393