Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624471 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19245 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »

Are there any alternatives in sight?

To the ANC? The Democratic Alliance is the major opposition, and they're steadily shaking off their label of 'the white party' (Helen Zille stepped down from leadership about two months ago, and Mmusi Maimane [amazing guy, by the way] was elected in her place). Their support base is growing pretty well, as far as I know (they got 22.23% of the vote last year, up from 16.66% in 2009 and 12.37% in 2004).

I'm actually really impressed with the DA, who won my current home province in 2009 and are doing a very good job of running it. They're also stirring the pot and taking the ANC up on the many, many dubious things they do, and seem to be a lot more in touch with the people - they're pretty constantly doing surveys and walking tours and stuff. Their leadership is younger, too - Maimane is 35 (compared to Zuma, 73), which might mean less blaming of all the country's problems on apartheid and more fixing them. I also see less accusations of corruption flying at members of the DA, although that might be because they're a) smaller and b) difficult to hit because of the number of accusations of corruption they're throwing (which tend to be pretty well-aimed).

Given a choice between a DA-run country and an ANC-run country, I'm sure you can guess where I'll be voting. The only problem is the possibility that the rural vote is still going to go to the ANC for a long time, because they're the party that got us out of apartheid. I'm hopeful though, because as I said the DA is pretty well in touch with the people and really seems to be making an effort to get boots on the ground (to borrow a military metaphor) in a lot of places.

There are also the Economic Freedom Fighters, but they're lead by the fired head of the ANC Youth League (Julius Malema), who is something of a rebel without a cause. They're mostly famous for disrupting parliament like a bunch of angry teenagers, and a bunch of random other stuff that mostly seems to be the political equivalent of 2edginess. I'll give them this though, they got 6.8% or so of the vote last year, which probably helped stop the ANC get a two-thirds majority (needed to alter the constitution, which a lot of people are scared of with Zuma in power). I think I'd rather have the ANC running the country than them, though.

There are ~27 other parties, but they're all in the sub-3% category, so I doubt they're really going anywhere.

Edit: this isn't really Europol, but there's no Afripol thread. I've occasionally considered starting one, but I usually put it off until the next crisis because it'll die in days otherwise.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19246 on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:22 pm »

SA is an honoured member of the British Empire and Commonwealth, and therefore not at all out-of-place in Europol.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19247 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »

Also everybody knows we're secretly trying to revive the Imperium Romanum - in the borders it ought to have had. South Africa definitely belongs :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19248 on: August 13, 2015, 02:17:28 pm »

considering it's either here or the ameripol thread, i'd rather have sa here so i don't have to go to ameripol to actually learn something or something as crazy as that

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19249 on: August 13, 2015, 03:24:05 pm »

He was a high up member of the ANC, dedicated to terrorism and murder, and also most likely a member of the South African Communist Party, which essentially took the ANC over through any means, violent or otherwise.
I also remember reading that he wiped out a black tribe in his early days, but that's largely unsubstantiated as I can't remember where I heard/read it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc&feature=player_embedded#at=98
Of course, I can only go by the subtitles.
Unless he did wipe out one of the tribes he's not genocidal, he's just a ruthless killer of his enemies. Necklacing his enemies, ordering the shellhouse massacre or what name you, these do not surmount to genocide - I'm splitting straws but they have to be split. A genocide is apart from regular crimes in that the destruction it causes is existential. You could do a genocide without a single death, just by taking all the enemy's children and making them your own (imagine Ottoman style on crack) or doing a maori and forcing intermarriage on the survivors until their people are no more. Though in the Maori's case they did do a lot of killing to genocide their neighbour, the second stage was without killing. It's also one of the few genocides which successfully eliminated an entire race.

I don't know. Is 'kill the Kraut' genocidal in your opinion? How about kill the Nazi? What if all Nazis are white (spoiler: they were!)? Is hate speech the same as genocide? Are war songs genocidal? Is Inglorious Basterds genocidal? Is murder genocide? Is being a terrorist genocide? Is everything genocide?
The word has a specific meaning, and you can't just throw it at anyone you find reprehensible for whatever (in this case I think: poor) reasons.
Kill the kraut is quite the genocidal slogan. If I had a button to kill all krauts and leave Germany a derelict wasteland of empty car factories and kebab shops I think it'd be pretty clear that a genocide took place whilst Nazis are a political thing with supporters from America to Thailand - and being white is not the same as aryan, a slav who under the nazis would be put in the mines fast. Being hateful is not genocide, inglorious basterds is good fun, murder is murder but can be genocidal, being a terrorist is a state of being and not really possessed of inherent genocidalness and yes, everything is genocide.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19250 on: August 13, 2015, 04:10:03 pm »

What if all Nazis are white (spoiler: they were!)?

I had a roommate who was the grandson of a Chinese Nazi (yes, Chinese and a volunteer to boot).  There were quite a few non-white Nazis actually, in the SS of all places.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19251 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

Nazis are actually remembered very positively in places like India and other countries in that region, because they supported these countries against their colonial oppressors, like Britain.

The more you know!
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19252 on: August 13, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »

Nazis are actually remembered very positively in places like India and other countries in that region, because they supported these countries against their colonial oppressors, like Britain.

The more you know!

Quote from: Ghandi, December 24, 1940
Such are your humiliation of Czechoslovakia, the rape of Poland and the swallowing of Denmark. I am aware that your view of life regards such spoliations as virtuous acts. But we have been taught from childhood to regard them as acts degrading humanity. Hence we cannot possibly wish success to your arms.

We resist British Imperialism no less than Nazism. If there is a difference, it is in degree [...] We seek to convert them, not to defeat them on the battle-field. Ours is an unarmed revolt against the British rule. But whether we convert them or not, we are determined to make their rule impossible by non-violent non-co-operation.

But we would never wish to end the British rule with German aid.

I, therefore, appeal to you in the name of humanity to stop the war

While the Swaraj movement certainly wasn't universal, it's really amazing that a pacifist movement that had sacrificed so much was willing to cut a deal with the British.  The extent of Nazi evil was so great that pacifists were willing to implicitly support the empire they swore to destroy wage a war for five years.  And no it wasn't opportunism.  Opportunism would mean redoubling non-cooperation, not backing off for five years.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19254 on: August 13, 2015, 06:09:13 pm »

the rape of Poland
If Poland got "raped" by Germany, that explains why Hitler is said to have only one ball.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19255 on: August 13, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »

the rape of Poland
If Poland got "raped" by Germany, that explains why Hitler is said to have only one ball.
Rape as in the older Roman definition of 'to seize,' as opposed to the old Roman definition of 'orgy porgy at Caligula's house' and the Mongolian definition of 'centaurs did nothing wrong.'

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19256 on: August 13, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »

Oh Romans with your rapine actions and vomitoriums and orgies.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19257 on: August 13, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »

the rape of Poland
Rape as in the older Roman definition of 'to seize,' as opposed to the old Roman definition of 'orgy porgy at Caligula's house' and the Mongolian definition of 'centaurs did nothing wrong.'
'Seize by force', more specifically.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19258 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:11 am »

So I watch news after long time.

Is it end of the world yet?
-Sees "Migrants invade Europe" headline in local newspaper-

Okay, time to go into that vault I have in my garden.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19259 on: August 14, 2015, 04:02:45 am »

that one island in the aegean, huh

yeah, that's the point where you just deploy riot police and push them back into the ocean, that place's fucked
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1393