Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624417 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19455 on: August 20, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »

Yes I do realise that, but once again, they have stuff that works and something like this would be completely needless. A long range, high speed, stealth aircraft with low carrying capacity doesn't really fill out any role connected to naval landings and operations. What they usually need is stuff that's sturdy and has a high carrying capacity because you need to get as much shit on the ground in as little time as possible. The F-35 couldn't really do any of that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19456 on: August 20, 2015, 12:59:28 pm »

The point still stands:
Internet forumites =/= military r&d.
This might doesn't apply to small arms and other armaments available to general populace - as seen in the example I've mentioned and certainly, numerous others - where modifying your gun and experimenting with it is done at your own risk and for your own entertainment/use. With a fifth generation stealth multi-role fighter costing $104 million, one does not have such freedom.
It can be discussed about, speculated about, theorised - but not taken as something that would actually work and be implemented.
I don't know... military r&d still needs humans generating ideas...  The main difference is probably filters in place to keep most of the stupid out... and the given fact that military r&d simply ain't just out there for the public to witness. 
Internet forumites have no filter in any way whatsoever.
That and the fact that, or so I would hope, the engineers doing R&D have a better understanding of engineers than random forumites, and the military staff giving the requirements have a better understanding of what needs they have for their military to perform.  That I would consider entirely distinct from just stupid; after all, you can be educated and still have a surfeit of stupidity.  :P

Heck, half the problem with the JSF has been that the branches of the military all definitely know what needs they want it to fill.  They just don't agree between each other on what those needs are.  For instance, the Air Force needs something that can outfight anything in the air, and the F-35A is born.  The Navy needs to operate these things off carriers, so the F-35C better be CATOBAR-compatible.  The Marines need something with VTOL capabilities, so the F-35B ended up with STOVL capabilities.  The Army needs it to be able to blow up stuff on the ground, so say hello to an ordinance retrofit.  As for why you need one fighter to do all of this, that's the politics of peace.  Let's say we end up with a Warthog-successor, a Hornet successor, an F-16 successor, and a Harrier successor, and specialize each for its particular roles.  That would make military and engineering sense; each one will end up optimized for its role.  The problem is that you now have four fights in Congress, one to get each funded.  One JSF to rule them all?  It suffers for being a JOAT, but it's much easier to push one project through Congress than four, especially if you sell Congress on it being more "efficient."  As for how that has panned out, we can all see just how efficient the F-35 has been so far. :3

EDIJT:
Yes I do realise that, but once again, they have stuff that works and something like this would be completely needless. A long range, high speed, stealth aircraft with low carrying capacity doesn't really fill out any role connected to naval landings and operations. What they usually need is stuff that's sturdy and has a high carrying capacity because you need to get as much shit on the ground in as little time as possible. The F-35 couldn't really do any of that.
Well, the problem is that the stuff that works now is getting a bit long in the tooth; the "opponents" (whichever enemy of the week is being discussed now) are also advancing, and there are concerns that equipment like the A-10 will start to show its age if it ever ends up in a fight against anyone stronger than a Third World army.  The whole purpose behind the JSF was to preempt that obsolescence by building something that could handle exactly what they needed.  The problem, as you note, is that what came out of it was not what they wanted; the Marines hopped on, but the Army demurred when it actually came to deciding whether to replace the A-10 with the F-35B or not. 

EDIT 2:
Actually, this reminds me a lot about the Pentagon Wars' depiction of the Bradley's development. Just for a lark. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:12:21 pm by Culise »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19457 on: August 20, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »

That movie pops into my head every time I hear about the F-35 :D
AS - IG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19458 on: August 20, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »

As for how that has panned out, we can all see just how efficient the F-35 has been so far. :3

It's rather incredible that after seeing this play out so many times, they didn't make any effort to avert it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19459 on: August 20, 2015, 02:23:30 pm »

Into Armchair General for this derail m8s

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19460 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »

Also, NATO's focus on airforce means that there's no "frontline" to speak of.

Well... If you get technical, its the U.S. with Euro groupies, so there will be a front line. U.S. still has bases in Germany...
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19461 on: August 21, 2015, 04:26:49 am »

Nothing says 'adventure' quite like AN UNDERGROUND TRAIN FILLED WITH NAZI GOLD!

I'm not a jealous person but this fills me with an intense longing. I've never missed a partner like I miss missing out on this Nazi Gold. It's not even the wealth beyond measure, but just the pulp thrill of it all.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19462 on: August 21, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »

Nothing says 'adventure' quite like AN UNDERGROUND TRAIN FILLED WITH NAZI GOLD!

And thus the European debt crisis was solved.

Thanks Hitler!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19463 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:16 pm »

hitler: bringing the final solution to the european problems since 1942

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19464 on: August 21, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »

Bush hid the facts! Nazis hid the spoils!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19465 on: August 21, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »

Would you rather have Mayan gold or Nazi gold?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19466 on: August 21, 2015, 01:27:30 pm »

Would you rather have Mayan gold or Nazi gold?

This is a blank sig.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19467 on: August 21, 2015, 01:30:41 pm »

Well some Nazis did flee to South America, it's only logical to assume that they have/had both at some point.
AS - IG

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19468 on: August 21, 2015, 04:07:16 pm »

Mayanazi gold.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19469 on: August 21, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 1393