Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646295 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19515 on: August 24, 2015, 05:47:27 pm »

the resources would be better spent telling the refugees to fuck off

once you shoot a few the rest think twice before jumping onto the hurp durp yurop wagon

That's about as feaseable as forcing Mexico to build the equivalent of the Great Wall of China on their borders.

donald trump for eu president 2016

he'll make europe great again

Besides, shooting desperate refugees is going to look absolutely terrible to everyone except particularly psychotic Daily Mail readers. Unless that was an ironic shitposting pose you were doing there.

don't shoot them directly, shoot their transportation

this way you only create a diplomatic incident with the country the transportation is registered at

the refugees are not supposed to be on them boats, man

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19516 on: August 24, 2015, 05:56:45 pm »

... well, I can't say I don't appreciate your sense of escalation. "Don't just shoot a couple, drown several hundred!"

Not really sure if it'd work as a deterrent, anyway. Lot of the boats involved are more or less intended to sink, so sinking them early wouldn't really do all that much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19517 on: August 24, 2015, 06:01:11 pm »

Not really sure if it'd work as a deterrent, anyway. Lot of the boats involved are more or less intended to sink, so sinking them early wouldn't really do all that much.
Remember: Once the smugglers have the money they dgaf what happens. It's not as though they really care whether anyone survives or gets shot or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:40:37 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19518 on: August 24, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1) That was a UN official you quoted, not a German politician.
2) Germany is the country which takes in the second-highest amount of refugees per citizen in the EU, right after Sweden, and the country which takes in the highest total amount. This was mentioned in your own fucking quote.
3) What fucking policies do you mean? As far as I remember Germany has been remarkably passive in Middle Eastern geopolitics. So please, enlighten me.
I'll let slip your calling a few nazis getting drunk and rowdy a riot. It's Saxony, that stuff simply is to be expected there.
1. It's common knowledge where I am what the Swedes and Germans want.
2. That's why I quoted it. I don't see what contradiction you find.
3. You think this is about the middle east? Just look at what I said in regards to blowing up DILDO not actually fixing everything.
From the same source above:
"Can we imagine a Union without Schengen? A return to the old borders? He asked. "Migrants are not arriving in Greece, Italy or Hungary. They're arriving in Europe. That is why the reception rules have to be 'Europeanized'."
This is what I'm talking about. Even when Greece, Italy and Spain are failing and there are no checks at France or Central Europe because Germany wanted to erase Europe's borders and make every nation her own. And the response? We must erase harder. I also chuckle at what of my post has been left out.

*EDIT
Forgot to mention your point on the riots. I'm not just talking about your most recent nazi one, I'm also talking about your one 4 days ago where asylum seekers tried to lynch an afghan man.
Like I said, gonna get well acquainted with riots

... well, I can't say I don't appreciate your sense of escalation. "Don't just shoot a couple, drown several hundred!"
Intercept boat, tug boat to shore, sink boat. Don't forget to shoot the smugglers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:06:32 pm by Loud Whispers »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19519 on: August 24, 2015, 06:27:35 pm »

Remember: One the smugglers have the money they dgaf what happens. It's not as though they really care whether anyone survives or gets shot or whatever.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if people know that the boats the smugglers put them on will get sunk if it's discovered, it's a slight possibility that they'll stop getting onto the things.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19520 on: August 24, 2015, 06:29:45 pm »

... the boats are often already sunk, without being discovered. If that's not stopping people, sinking more isn't exactly going to help.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19521 on: August 24, 2015, 06:36:39 pm »

It isn't like half already sink along the way. Doesn't seem to stop them.

You guys have to realize that when faced between the choice of horrible wartime suffering and a chance (no matter how slim) at something better, people are going to go with the chance. Even if it kills them. Just look at the US's situation with Mexico- no amount of policing, walls, or laws will make this go away.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
So all Europe needs to do is end all war and human suffering.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19522 on: August 24, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. They even hold a nice chunk of the blame for the conditions that led up to things nowadays. Best get cracking.

Alternately they can just accept that people are going to come, and actually get off their arse and do something constructive about it. Maybe go invade russia for room to put people or something, I'unno.
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19523 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:51 pm »

See the earlier quote:

Europe, how does it feel to have a glimpse of the job of being the 'world police'?

Not so good, I'm guessing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19524 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »

Actually, a better example would be refugees from Cuba. The distance between Cuba and Florida is similar to Lybia and Sicily, but the boat crossing is still treacherous and many sunk, not because smugglers were sinking them.

The point I'm making is that even without smugglers using leaky buckets or intentionally sinking them, the risks were still really high with a good chance of sinking or capsizing because too many people on them or the boat wasn't meant to go into deeper waters, yet they still took the risk.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19525 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:33 pm »

See the earlier quote:

Europe, how does it feel to have a glimpse of the job of being the 'world police'?

Not so good, I'm guessing.

I'm not saying everybody has to act like the US, just that it would be nice if our allies could take some of their burden, like I dunno, France did during the Libya crisis? Or tried to anyway.

The Middle East is prettty much Europes mess what with Imperialism, so, it'd only be fitting if they took more of the burden.

Edit: Why did I doublepost? :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:50:04 pm by smjjames »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19526 on: August 24, 2015, 06:53:59 pm »

Making migration take lots of bureaucracy just results in people staying here for several years, making friends, integrating themselves with society and then being sent back and dying in a war.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19527 on: August 24, 2015, 06:56:58 pm »

Making migration take lots of bureaucracy just results in people staying here for several years, making friends, integrating themselves with society and then being sent back and dying in a war.

Like, uh, illegal immigrants here in the US? Except for the war part, mostly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19528 on: August 24, 2015, 07:00:20 pm »

... the boats are often already sunk, without being discovered. If that's not stopping people, sinking more isn't exactly going to help.
Yes they will. Go look up what the smugglers advertise to potential customers; they detail which countries give what benefits, which countries have ID for illegal immigrant checks and working checks, which countries have the weakest borders - and for the all important meditteranean crossing they also detail at what point a red cross or coast guard ship will pick up your boat and bring you to Italy or Malta.
You take that boat and sink it, return everyone to their home country and you make it known all boats will be sunk. The boats will not be able to be reused. And as I said before, kill the smugglers and continue to do so until they are sufficiently discouraged with the knowledge that to attempt smuggling operations will result in their death.
This also ignores that countries which actually once had the ability to control their borders did not have mass immigration until, and this is not surprising in the least, parties in favour of mass immigration came into power or the countries lost control of their borders under the Schengen agreement.
I use Britain just because it's the country I know the most about, in the 90s immigration was around 50,000-80,000 people a year, mostly from the commonwealth. By the noughties it was increasing to around 150,000, still mostly from the commonwealth - but rising. Last year it was over 320,000 coming through the EU. It's never been this high in the entirety of British history.
Unsurprisingly when you allow everyone to move freely through Europe they're going to move through Europe. This is not an astonishing principle. And when you consider the extent of illegal immigration is never truly known, it's even worse. And honestly I can't even fathom what the rest of the European countries must be burdened with, because think of it this way; it's bad in the UK, but the UK is an island and you at the very least have to supply a passport meaning it is considerably harder to sneak in. Everyone else? Border control doesn't exist inside the schengen lands.

No, Europe just needs to realize that being well-off means that those who aren't want to move to the place that is. There's not much you can do about it, really. Boggle it down in bureaucracy?
Europe once had real border control, now has none. What are you talking about there's nothing much that can be done, when what was done worked and was always done until the EU decided to fuck common sense with a spiky baseball bat?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:01:54 pm by Loud Whispers »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19529 on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »

Not really getting what's so bad about freedom of movement. Loud Whispers paints Britain like some kind of dystopia. It's really not.
Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1393