Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647197 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19635 on: August 27, 2015, 08:31:08 am »

But maybe in another 25 years, people will mourn the loss of the signature architecture of the era?

In other news, bribing doctors might be legalised in Romania.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19636 on: August 27, 2015, 08:55:54 am »

But maybe in another 25 years, people will mourn the loss of the signature architecture of the era?
Soviet Era architecture? Mourn?

Granted, there's a lot of blame to be put on architects worldwide, who went nuts over concrete, but combined with its cheapness and the attitude that SOVIET MAN NO NEED CAPITALIST 'QUALITY' (to the point of demolishing a number of Art Noveau buildings in Warsaw, the bastards), more utilitarian buildings look ugly as hell and non-utilitarian ones are political. And possibly ugly too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19637 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:02 am »

Granted, there's a lot of blame to be put on architects worldwide, who went nuts over concrete, but combined with its cheapness and the attitude that SOVIET MAN NO NEED CAPITALIST 'QUALITY' (to the point of demolishing a number of Art Noveau buildings in Warsaw, the bastards), more utilitarian buildings look ugly as hell and non-utilitarian ones are political. And possibly ugly too.
In many places in Eastern Europe such as Minsk, Belarus, you can't just get rid of Soviet architecture, because otherwise, there'll be nothing left. Then again, judging by historical patterns here, architecture older than 100 years doesn't stay intact for long - sooner or later our Western European neighbours will kickstart urban renewal with the help of heavy artillery and aviation.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19638 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:12 am »

In many places in Eastern Europe such as Minsk, Belarus, you can't just get rid of Soviet architecture, because otherwise, there'll be nothing left. Then again, judging by historical patterns here, architecture older than 100 years doesn't stay intact for long - sooner or later our Western European neighbours will kickstart urban renewal with the help of heavy artillery and aviation.

Or you could replace them over time as buildings get old and building codes change.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19639 on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:33 am »

if a building has been built properly and renovated every so often, there is very little stopping you from living in housing from as far back as the 14th century - or even a fair bit further

thing is whatever such housing existed in the east has been wrecked, and if it hasn't been wrecked the soviets disassembled it for you

and in the west they're illegally demolishing things from the 20th century because of dumbfuck capitalism so i really doubt you'd get away with that

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19640 on: August 27, 2015, 09:39:42 am »

Now, I've never been up there, but I've heard that the blocks are ugly but functional, which is not really a bad thing, IMO.

(Now, I admit that in this regard I am heavily influenced by my father, who had to endure some really dysfunctional pretty designs for unrelated reasons, and as a result ended up with a permanent dislike to anything outside brutalist architecture)

By the way, for some reason, as of late, every time I click on this thread title I get the Volga Boatmen song earworming in my head.

(...ay-da, da, ay-da, ay-da, da, ay-da!)

there we go again!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19641 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:11 am »

Most of Soviet-era architecture does look ugly as hell. I prefer the Imperial one more.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19642 on: August 27, 2015, 10:04:40 am »

(Now, I admit that in this regard I am heavily influenced by my father, who had to endure some really dysfunctional pretty designs for unrelated reasons, and as a result ended up with a permanent dislike to anything outside brutalist architecture)
He doesn't happen to live in Valencia, does he? Because I've heard they have a really famous, but really shitty architect there...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19643 on: August 27, 2015, 10:26:48 am »

if a building has been built properly and renovated every so often, there is very little stopping you from living in housing from as far back as the 14th century - or even a fair bit further

thing is whatever such housing existed in the east has been wrecked, and if it hasn't been wrecked the soviets disassembled it for you

and in the west they're illegally demolishing things from the 20th century because of dumbfuck capitalism so i really doubt you'd get away with that
Except a lot of those 'as far back as 14th century' buildings were built to last; sure, they can fall into disrepair, but that's why it's called disrepair - insufficient maintenance.

Whereas Soviet housing projects were pretty much assumed to start falling apart after fourty years or so - cheap pre-fab materials, shoddy workmanship - and even still, they are not exactly the pinnacle of comfortable indoor space design.

That's discounting the fact that, Soviet or not, those are housing projects, in former USSR often in areas which suddenly found out they have massive unemployment and were not exactly rich in the first place, plus all the issues of housing-project tensions even Britbongs found themselves having, all melted into a fine ball of HOW IS IT STILL STANDING?!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19644 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:42 am »

start falling apart after fourty years or so
You're pushing it. Those things start to fall apart as soon as they're built. After fourty years they actually stop falling apart, as there is not much to fall off anymore, and what would is secured by duct tape.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19645 on: August 27, 2015, 10:57:48 am »

I dunno, there's a lot of (late-period) Soviet housing around areas where I lived, and they don't seem to be falling apart. Maybe it's because they weren't built by shitty engineers?
._.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19646 on: August 27, 2015, 11:05:40 am »

I dunno, there's a lot of (late-period) Soviet housing around areas where I lived, and they don't seem to be falling apart. Maybe it's because they weren't built by shitty engineers?
They do fall apart, but it's not apparent from outside. Or inside, if you maintaned it. Or anywhere really, but they still do fall apart, even when they don't.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19647 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:54 am »

That's not "falling apart", that's "wearing and tearing", if I remember my Western terminology correctly. "Falling apart" implies catastrophic manner of destruction, like floors caving in, roofs sliding off, elevators ejecting out of the elevator chamber, that kind of stuff.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19648 on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:18 am »

Lets not forget that Soviet construction workers had a tendency to steal materials. Substituting some % of cement with sand and other tricks like that were very common. Few buildings were built as planned.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19649 on: August 27, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

I come back to Europol thred and it's slagging off shitty architecture, you are best politics thread Europol. BEST

REDBRICK THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
LIMESTONE THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
GLASSSTEEL SITUATIONAL BUT PROBABLY SHIT
BRUTALIST 2BRUTAL 2BRUTAL BAK 2RUSSIA
And lastly muh trees are sexy
Pages: 1 ... 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 ... 1393