Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1657724 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4800 on: April 20, 2014, 01:29:56 pm »

See,for me, the trouble with polls is that they include the grey areas. The vote will be a yes or no. They should simply ask people yes or no - that way, there can be no political manipulation of the data, as the poll reflects what would happen if the vote were to happen at that instant. Is there any data of that nature?
This is a blank sig.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: April 20, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »

See,for me, the trouble with polls is that they include the grey areas. The vote will be a yes or no. They should simply ask people yes or no - that way, there can be no political manipulation of the data, as the poll reflects what would happen if the vote were to happen at that instant. Is there any data of that nature?
But that poll sacrifices accuracy for definitiveness. The simple fact of the matter is that people are on edge, and policy makers and political analysts of all stripes would much rather know that where people actually stand then the basic yes/no. I mean hell "don't know"s may not even go to the damn polls. And then a poll very clearly predicting one side is proved wrong simply because a lot of people who picked that side really didn't know and chose the other.

Pretending things are black and white certainly doesn't leave the results up for interpretation, but the accuracy would be, as politicians from side B can claim that side A is full of people who are on the edge, and they may well be right because how do you know? All the don't knows may en masse vote "Yes", and if politicians can manipulate the data and say that all the don't knows will vote "Yes" it's because that very well may happen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:55:58 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: April 20, 2014, 02:49:32 pm »

The worst polls in the independence debate are the ones that include "devo max" as an option. Devo max will never happen and it is dead in the water, this is an all-or-nothing referendum, yes or no. Status quo with a handful of pretty useless powers vs full independence and control of everything.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: April 20, 2014, 03:05:51 pm »

Anyway, is this a mandatory everyone should vote poll, or a see who bothers to show up poll.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: April 20, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »

Anyway, is this a mandatory everyone should vote poll, or a see who bothers to show up poll.

The referendum or the poll from ICM? Scotland has no mandatory voting at all so pretty much any poll is a "see who bothers to show up" poll.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:43 pm »

In that case the result might deviate strongly from what the polls say.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:45 pm »

Probably the more fervent would show. There could be masses, either side, that know what they'll vote but didn't go to a poll.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: April 20, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »

In that case the result might deviate strongly from what the polls say.

I've been saying that for years. My sincerest hope is that Unionists will be less likely to get out and vote. By my experiences most Unionists aren't virulently so, they just say "ach there's no point, Scotland couldn't do it anyway" or "we'd be daft to go for it". They're more likely to just not bother.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

Independence has too much press. Much of the media is saying there's a chance. That will motivate them.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: April 20, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »

Independence has too much press. Much of the media is saying there's a chance. That will motivate them.

The guys I'm thinking of aren't the types that could really be "motivated". As I said, they're not Unionist for any real ideological reason, they're just uncertain about stuff and would rather remain on the sidelines and be sceptical.

I think the amount of Scots who would vote No because they feel "British" or because they believe in the UK or something is quite small, comparatively. According to the last census the vast majority of Scots feel "only Scottish" i.e. not really British, even up in places like Shetland and Orkney. Comparing that with Northern Ireland would be quite interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:27:29 pm by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: April 20, 2014, 03:32:28 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say earlier, Owlbread.

To a lesser extent as well, it feels to me that a larger amount of no-voters say no just as a "I haven't really bothered to check this thing out, so I'm going to say no." when asked by a pollster.

Of course, with the media around that, I'm sure the number of people doing that is rather low. But with a vote looking to be this close, any little percentage or fraction of a percentage helps.

Remind me again, is this a straight-majority vote? Or are they being sneaky and saying "You need 60%!" or "You need 50% of the ENTIRE Scottish population to say yes, not just those voted!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: April 20, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »

That sounds...rather dismissive.

It is the beliefs that are not easily validated which are most defended when under threat.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: April 20, 2014, 03:34:40 pm »

Remind me again, is this a straight-majority vote? Or are they being sneaky and saying "You need 60%!" or "You need 50% of the ENTIRE Scottish population to say yes, not just those voted!"

This is a straight majority vote. We've already had those Canadian style shenanigans back in 1979 and the consequences are burned into the minds of Scots. We won't let that happen again.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:37 pm »

That sounds...rather dismissive.

It is the beliefs that are not easily validated which are most defended when under threat.
* Descan shrug.

Not saying it's true, just how it feels to me.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: April 20, 2014, 04:02:43 pm »

I hadn't read yours when I posted; I probably should have linked this in  :/

The guys I'm thinking of aren't the types that could really be "motivated". As I said, they're not Unionist for any real ideological reason, they're just uncertain about stuff and would rather remain on the sidelines and be sceptical.

I think the amount of Scots who would vote No because they feel "British" or because they believe in the UK or something is quite small, comparatively. According to the last census the vast majority of Scots feel "only Scottish" i.e. not really British, even up in places like Shetland and Orkney. Comparing that with Northern Ireland would be quite interesting.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 1393