Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646608 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5910 on: May 26, 2014, 09:25:35 am »

Can't find a source for this currently, but hasn't De Wever explicitly said that the NVA forming a government with the PS is not going to happen?

Imo, the MR is probably our best bet on getting a government formed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: May 26, 2014, 09:32:06 am »

Well, not sure about this. This side of the borders, every single party has been using De Wever has a bogeyman claiming they won't form a government with them and that voting for an other party is voting for the NVA (Whatever that is supposed to mean).

We also have to figure out who the commission president will be. Junkers won the vote, but Orban already said he won't back him, and Cameron ain't happy either. Word is also that he might want to become Council president rather than Commission president. In the meantime, Schultz is vying for some powerful job (at least he'll get to keep his job as Speaker I guess). Oh, and Verhofstadt is trying to spin the idea that since no single group has a majority, he should get the job as a compromise candidate. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: May 26, 2014, 10:47:58 am »

Admittedly, these are all right-wing rags, but they are well read right-wing rags. I think the entire UKIP vote in Scotland was comprised of all the Scottish Daily Mail, Telegraph and Daily Express readers put together.
Germany is very lucky in a way that I realized only recently: While we do have tabloids, they retain at least some journalistic standards - and the only one that's important nation-wide, the Bild, has a very strong history of supporting the CDU, the main conservative party. They're not reactionary, but cater to the 'dumb gut-conservative' demographic. It's not perfect, but it prevents the German tabloids from going off the deep end.

norway thinks it's more of an empire than germany does
Hell, you're always in for a laugh when reading about the actual colonial empire - all the pieces the other nations didn't want, we claimed :P
About Heimat: That's probably what Owlbread's part of Scotland is to him - a specific region that you belong to. It's patriotism without a nation, just love for the region and its people. I get that every time I drive towards Cologne: The Autobahn goes over a hill, and the city lies before you, you can guess where the Rhine flows, and in the centre of it all, you see the cathedral, the Kölner Dom...
I firmly believe that this is what makes the Rhineland special: It's a distinct area, historically has had great influence, has a common dialect uniting its people, a very distinct culture... And yet, Rhineland nationalism never became a thing. We have our fields, our beer, our carnival - why would we need a nation?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:04:32 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: May 26, 2014, 10:51:56 am »

And yet, Rhineland nationalism never became a thing. We have our fields, our beer, our carnival - why would we need a nation?

If I had a car, it'd sport a bumper-sticker saying "Too drunk for patriotism"

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:57 am »

I might need a beer glass with that on it...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: May 26, 2014, 11:22:39 am »

Frankly, so many wars could have been (or have been) avoided because the leaders on each side got drunk enough together. 'shame them Palestinian leaders won't get drunk.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: May 26, 2014, 11:26:35 am »

Germany is very lucky in a way that I realized only recently: While we do have tabloids, they retain at least some journalistic standards - and the only one that's important nation-wide, the Bild, has a very strong history of supporting the CDU, the main conservative party. They're not reactionary, but cater to the 'dumb gut-conservative' demographic. It's not perfect, but it prevents the German tabloids from going off the ddeep end.
Part of that is that Bild belongs to the Springer publishing house, which while being "gut-conservative" and being the object of passionate hatred for the '68 generation, has some corporate principles their employees need to abide by:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So while Bild is a populist tabloid of questionable journalistic value, there are lines they won't cross.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: May 26, 2014, 11:42:21 am »

I firmly believe that this is what makes the Rhineland special: It's a distinct area, historically has had great influence, has a common dialect uniting its people, a very distinct culture... And yet, Rhineland nationalism never became a thing. We have our fields, our beer, our carnival - why would we need a nation?

You should study the history of nationalism more. It was all about forcing together similar regional cultures into one national identity. German nationalism espoused the union of all German regions into one Germany. Same with Italy and Russia. In the north, nationalist did not speak of Swedish, Danish, or Norwegian nations - they spoke of a Scandinavian Nordic nation (the idea just never gained huge popular following, we like hating the Danish too much). That's the reason that in the swedish national hymn they end the lyrics with a "I want to live, I want do die / In the North" rather than "In Sweden".

So yeah, of course Rhinelander "nationalism" never took hold. It would have been against the whole point of the nationalist school of thought. It would have been regionalism. It's like asking why there's no Gotlander (Defined region separate from the mainland, unique culture, very different dialect with completely separate language roots) "nationalism". There is. It's just a part of (modern) Swedish nationalism.
Love, scriver~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:25 am »

Admittedly, these are all right-wing rags, but they are well read right-wing rags. I think the entire UKIP vote in Scotland was comprised of all the Scottish Daily Mail, Telegraph and Daily Express readers put together.

Of note is that the 4 areas in Wales (Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham) that went UKIP are pretty much the least racially diverse areas in the country, with a demographic skewed towards older white voters. Coincidence?
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: May 26, 2014, 11:48:29 am »

Speaking about the British press. The European commission has a list of all the myths they have ever perpetuated.

Link
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:52:26 am by 10ebbor10 »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: May 26, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »

-snip-
The Cologne area was a major political power in the middle ages, though - one could very well imagine an alternate reality in which it split off and became a separate state. That's all I'm saying: There was true potential for a separate nationalism, but it didn't happen.

Plus the German national identity came about pretty naturally, no need to eradicate local culture there...
The Bay12 postcard club

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:45 pm »

Yeah, in Germany, being a rather young nation state, with strong federal structures and nationalism becoming somewhat taboo after WW2 regionalism has been preserved very well. But to have these regional identities become separate national ones would have required a different course of history. Especially in Southern and Western Germany having separate states would have been a real possibility at various points, it just never happened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: May 26, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »

-snip-
The Cologne area was a major political power in the middle ages, though - one could very well imagine an alternate reality in which it split off and became a separate state. That's all I'm saying: There was true potential for a separate nationalism, but it didn't happen.

Plus the German national identity came about pretty naturally, no need to eradicate local culture there...

That would require a very specific course of history - not only it would have to remain independent, it would have to flourish and survive as a power to late XVIII to XIXth century - nationalism is a fairly recent invention, as far as history goes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: May 26, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

Most nations developed pre-1789. The difference between a kingdom and a nation is one of degree rather than one of quality.

I'm not Owlbread, though - I'm quite content with being ruled by those damn Prussians.
The Bay12 postcard club

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: May 26, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »

Meanwhile in Ukraine:

After pro-Russian forces took control of Donetsk International Airport, Ukrainian military counterattacked: Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopters bombed the airport, National Guard attacked the pro-Russian positions. Current situation is unclear - reportedly fighting is still going on.

Spoiler: Photos (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian helicopter firing at pro-Russian forces in the airport.
Ditto, shot from far away.
This post wouldn't be perfect without a video shot by bloodthirsty Russian barbarian journalists from RT.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 1393