Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1639809 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5985 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »

Like lack of knowledge ever stopped anyone from voting. :p More seriously, as 10ebbor10 said, it helps breed interest into politics.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

I still don't get why the whole world doesn't switch to mandatory voting.

Evidence of legitimacy?

I don't want people with no interest in or knowledge of politics to vote.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

I generally dislike old Winston but we dont disagree in everything.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

Or to argue from the other perspective, people have a right not to care.

Also it's not only the uninterested politically apathetic people that don't vote, it's also the ones that don't feel represented by any party and don't want to waste their vote on a protest party. Or the ones that don't care about certain elections.

I have thought about not voting myself quite often, since I don't feel particularly represented by any party. I'm interested enough in politics that I always vote in state/national/European elections, usually by the "lesser evil" principle, sometimes strategically, but I have skipped local elections occasionally, when I really don't care which incompetent idiot becomes mayor or something.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: May 27, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »

Well, you have every right to put in a blank ballot if you don't want to vote.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5990 on: May 27, 2014, 01:57:21 pm »

I can't help but notice the greens growing in strength, stepping over the maimed body of the lib dems to rise further. It seems the greens will slowly and steadily grow to surpass all until one day we wake up in fear to find our new prime minister is a wind turbine.

Seems I also missed coverage of the EU general elections here and on the news. Proper funny reactions all round.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:41 pm »

I wonder what would happen with a merging of British and American politics.

I can't wait to see the Green Tea Party.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: May 27, 2014, 02:03:15 pm »

UKIP+Republican bastard lovechild of doom. JESUS AND GUNS FOR ALL, BUT NO IMMIGRANTS OR HEALTHCARE!
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: May 27, 2014, 02:04:19 pm »

What I would add to democracy: vote against someone. Some kind of -1 vote

If we have some party A that is loved by 30% and hated by 50% and party B that is loved by 20% and hated by 5%. In that case, IMO, party B should have more political weight than party A
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: May 27, 2014, 02:05:59 pm »

The other advantage is that if you have mandatory voting, the government is also forced to ensure that everyone can vote. That's no evidence in some locations, especially for some groups (senior citizens with limited movement). Anyway, what you get now is that in a non-mandatory voting system, it's the extremist parties that get disproportionate representation.

I mean, just compare the results.

In Belgium, our local Eurosceptic separatist party got 20% of the vote in the Federal elections, and just 17% in the European elections. Meanwhile UKIP got 28% of the vote in the European elections, despite only getting 17% of the vote in the concurrent local elections. Yes, I know the local elections didn't occur everywhere in the country, but they're a good indicator and IIRC, UKIP really doesn't do well in Scotland.

Speaking of which, the UK should get rid of First past the Post voting as well. It's a horrible system.

If we have some party A that is loved by 30% and hated by 50% and party B that is loved by 20% and hated by 5%. In that case, IMO, party B should have more political weight than party A
It exists, it's called preferential voting.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: May 27, 2014, 02:06:39 pm »

Works fine until a significant number of people vote negative - then you end up with some kind of anti government with the smallest negative score.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5996 on: May 27, 2014, 02:07:39 pm »

DON'T STEP ON MY WIND TURBINES
THINK OF THE WIND TURBINES
PROTECT THE RIGHT TO BEAR CONCEALED TURBINES

In all honesty, national sudoku is the only way. The trident cuts Neptune's throat as the UK nukes itself.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: May 27, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

I think you mean seppuku.

... Though, a nation-wide game of sudoku would be... interesting.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: May 27, 2014, 02:11:57 pm »

I think you mean seppuku.

... Though, a nation-wide game of sudoku would be... interesting.

Suddenly, Asian immigrants are in demand for their superior numeracy skills. Stop UKIP today - a vote for sudoku makes sense!
This is a blank sig.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »

Vagel, I'll have to look over those in a bit. Glancing at this one (only one that addresses any of the technical issues at first glance) I do have to ask if this is an official government site or some other establishment? Because if that were a British government site someone would be getting fired...

Speaking of which, the UK should get rid of First past the Post voting as well. It's a horrible system.

Don't see this happening for a long time after the referendum went down. Even getting a second bite at AV seems unlikely, let alone a more proportional system that most of the reform groups would like to go for.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 1393