Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624756 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6165 on: June 01, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Only in highly sought-after areas, where ren't controls don't make sense anyway - lower Manhattan, for example. In the usual areas, the prospective tenant could just take another flat. Raise limits would be just one more point during contract negotiations.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: June 01, 2014, 12:01:03 pm »

Call me an elitist, but I believe tenants simply won't pay attention to this, or at least enough won't that it won't make a difference. Look how many people got shafted after signing variable-rate mortgage interest. People just discount future costs way too much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: June 01, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »

That's their problem, though, innit? And once the first few horror stories go viral, people will start looking at their contracts more closely.

(Also, I know you're an elitist, Sheb - I'm one myself, after all :D )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: June 01, 2014, 12:06:36 pm »

But then, why don't we simply limits the potential raises by law? Or let it work. I'm still not convinced this market need regulation.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: June 01, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »

if you're going to introduce basic income, you need to put huge regulations on the market so it doesn't just take the money and run wild with it since well, you're basically going to spain/10 the economy otherwise

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: June 01, 2014, 12:09:21 pm »

Well, since the idea of a basic income is to give people enough money to survive, if one survival aspect (shelter via rent) takes over all of the money, that's an issue. And it's not as easy to raise the price on food exorbitantly as it is on rent. There are only so many homes in an area/at all to rent, food is a lot more competitive... Well, besides monopolies :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 01, 2014, 12:12:35 pm »

Why? You're not adding new money, just distributing it differently. It's not something totally unheard off. For example, the recent tax reform in Italy has put 80 euros a month into the pocket of the lowest paid. I've not heard of landlords just running with all of it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 01, 2014, 12:16:30 pm »

yes

80 euros is a huge sum

it's enough to be noticeable on the scale of the sixth of italy's population to uproot the whole economy

it's literally a tenth of what would be needed for survival in a city, you could probably cut that by 300 in the countryside, but still - how is this comparable exactly?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 01, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »

You only points out a difference in degrees. Why would the economy capsize if you were to redistribute more cash, outside of some adjustmentat the beginning? Why would the landlords run away with a basic income, but not now?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:04 pm »

you know, when i see the adjustments you're speaking of i see the market twisting and turning until the basic income is turned into pocket money, so the basic income gets increased and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck and we're burning money like it's berlin 1929

and the reason they're not running away now is because there's nothing to run away with, if rents increased people would simply have no money to pay them since there's only this many people with this select amount of dosh in a specific area to live in your dwellings

now you're throwing more money into the mix and bam, problem solved

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: June 01, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »

I'll admit it has it's flaws, considering that a basic income would change it from "80+%" to "100%" so it's only an extra few percentage of people, but the idea is that if landlords know that -everyone- has xxx amount of money, they know that that is the very least that people *can* afford. It's like, if you *know* someone has something, you'll try and get it, and if everyone tries, they have no real recourse if that person has to give that thing up in order to live. The other flaw's that there's no guarantee that everyone will try and suck up all the money, but the fact that there's only so many housing in a region means that you only need a few people to decide to do so. Edit: Yes, that too. Changing the basic-income to pocket-change. Of course it would be tied to inflation, but inflation would still be an issue, unless you want to buy a coffee for a grand every day :P

If I were to implement a basic income, I would put in two fail-safes. One, if the economy dips below a certain threshold within xxx years, then the basic income is discontinued. If that dip is from some external cause, like a recession or some other policy having a negative impact, then instead of an automatic discontinue it would just be investigated. The other fail-safe would be that after xxx years, it would be re-examined regardless of any dips in the economy, to see if it's functioning as-needed. If not, modified.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 01, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

I'm still not convinced this market need regulation.
Me neither - but there are bad ways and there are worse ways. The best alternative IMO would be subsidizing new apartment buildings, thus driving down market prices.
The Bay12 postcard club

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 01, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »

UKIP's new Scottish MEP has also said that he will work as hard as he can to rescind any potential Yes Vote.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6178 on: June 01, 2014, 04:48:52 pm »

Is it just me, or do the current 20-ish year olds (and teenagers) seem to have VERY different ideas to the politicians presently in power?
Bloody well depends.  Also just in general, no one agrees with politicians ever. It's a platinum rule.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: June 01, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »

slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck
I had to sigg it xD
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1393