Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646368 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6240 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:21 am »

Spoiler: This guys are so brave (click to show/hide)
Some guys says that this is not an example of using alive shield but merely an evacuation of children... Somehow I don't think so

There's another issue: there's a bunch (eight, IIRC) of military jets with Ukrainian markings left behind on Crimea. Russians gave back some of them, but they gave away the broken or otherwise unoperational ones.
Yeah, but that being public makes less likely that those Mig-29s could be used in some way... On other hand we may see "defected" Ukrainian pilots on those. That explains why they tried to capture an airport and why they disabled several of our radars in that region
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: June 04, 2014, 07:23:21 am »

There was a joke during the Korean war, when China sent 'volunteers' to fight against the Americans:

"A volunteer must be a very motivated one to bring his own fighter jet."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6242 on: June 04, 2014, 09:52:24 am »

Here's an interesting article - a blogger estimates the flight path of the Ukrainian Su-25 from eyewitness videos by pinpointing the locations of these videos.
Oh, so the administration building is on the left, outside of the view in the video posted before? Makes a bit more sense now. That flash of light just before main explosions still bothers me though. And the jet in question clearly fired more than 3 (4?) missiles, why is there no reports of other hitting... anything? But eh, what do I know. The article is quite interesting, thanks for sharing, Guardian G.I.

On a completely unrelated news:
Dirty revolutionary scoundrel, possibly communists some people on tweeter want Spain to do away with the monarchy, in the light of recent King's abdication.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

Spoiler: This guys are so brave (click to show/hide)
Some guys says that this is not an example of using alive shield but merely an evacuation of children... Somehow I don't think so.

Yeah, hard to tell without verifiable context. If they actually were using children as live shields, that's pretty despicable.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:25 am »

Dirty revolutionary scoundrel, possibly communists some people on tweeter want Spain to do away with the monarchy, in the light of recent King's abdication.
I like how they use Babar as a symbol. Fitting. I'm definitely in favour of abolishing monarchies: hopefully when Charles takes the throne he'll be so unpopular that the republican cause here will be bolstered. Don't hold much hope though: they'd have to change the name of the country and everything...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:28 am »

they'd have to change the name of the country and everything...
All that Spain needs to do here : Grant independence to several regions and rename itself to Castilla
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: June 04, 2014, 10:43:25 am »

I like how they use Babar as a symbol. Fitting. I'm definitely in favour of abolishing monarchies: hopefully when Charles takes the throne he'll be so unpopular that the republican cause here will be bolstered. Don't hold much hope though: they'd have to change the name of the country and everything...

Rename to what? The Republic of Spain? It'd still be Spain.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: June 04, 2014, 10:48:49 am »

Rename to what? The Republic of Spain? It'd still be Spain.
Sorry, I should have been clearer: it looks like I missed out half of what I wanted to say. I should have said:

" I'm definitely in favour of abolishing monarchies generally: hopefully when Charles takes the throne in the United Kingdom he'll be so unpopular that the republican cause here (in the UK) will be bolstered. Don't hold much hope though: they'd have to change the name of the country and everything."

Obviously, the UK can't be called the UK if it's not a kingdom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:47 am »

Why not? The Dutch Republic wasn't really a republic :P

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:58 am »

Instead of being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland it would be the United Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Or, according to Tony Benn's vision, it would be the Commonwealth of Britain. I endorse this option, hence I would seek a Commonwealth of Scotland (Common Weal o Scotland/Co-fhlaitheas na h-Alba respectively) rather than a Republic of Scotland.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:05:12 am by Owlbread »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: June 04, 2014, 10:52:42 am »

If UK becomes a republic, Ukrainian Ranger would need to change his name too, to avoid confusion.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:36 am »

Isn't the British monarchy little more than a figurehead these days anyway? Charles could just abdicate to the much more popular Prince Harry or William.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: June 04, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

Isn't the British monarchy little more than a figurehead these days anyway? Charles could just abdicate to the much more popular Prince Harry or William.

The British monarchy is actually very powerful, but they would never use their power visibly because they'd be overthrown rather quickly. It's a kind of M.A.D. situation. There has been speculation that Charles could abdicate in favour of Prince Harry/William, but something tells me the Monarchy is far more conservative and traditional than people expect. Naming the royal baby "George" of all names is a good example of this. We will probably have King Charles III for a bit.

There was actually a play in London recently about civil war in Britain brought about by King Charles III's use of royal powers to block a law from parliament on press regulation, followed by some Lady Macbeth style interference from Kate Middleton and the agreement of Parliament to overthrow Charles in favour of William. Granted, the play got a bit silly in parts, but it seemed interesting.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: June 04, 2014, 11:04:49 am »

The Spanish monarchy isn't much more than a figurehead thing anyway.

The British monarchy is, IIRC, quite powerful, though they never do anything with it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: June 04, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

You also have the Magna Carta going way back, among other things.

I suppose the monarchy is pretty good at using their power in subtle ways by now.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1393