Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1642446 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5655 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:51 am »

Our authorities are rather large though, it must be said - the Highland council covers an area the size of Belgium.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:13:16 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: May 21, 2014, 09:55:46 am »

Oh wow, that does sound a bit medieval. Nobility lost the most part of their property here at some point, if not after WW1 then after WW2, or left of the Rhine already under Napoleonic occupation.
Nobility was abolished in 1919 anyways, so maybe you should get to that in Britain. If you decide to do it the French way, they have a machine that does most of the work for you.  ;)

Tragically the majority of these councils have become labour party fiefdons, ruled by swines who are out of touch and verging on corrupt, elected by idiots who only know political tribalism.
Actually that is often how I feel about my own local government (up to and including state level). I guess it has to do with knowing your own local government better than the distant federal / national one. I'm always surprised we haven't collapsed under all the incompetence here (across all party lines), though I guess it has to do with federal money saving the day.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: May 21, 2014, 10:12:15 am »

yeah, nobility is totally a problem. butcher them all.

* LordSlowpoke fondly recalls having their family estate burnt by enraged peasants while the authorities were too busy not existing to care

* LordSlowpoke reminds self that they're not old enough to actually remember it

* LordSlowpoke reminds self they're only tangentially related to the main line

oh well

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:54 am »

Oh wow, that does sound a bit medieval. Nobility lost the most part of their property here at some point, if not after WW1 then after WW2, or left of the Rhine already under Napoleonic occupation.
Nobility was abolished in 1919 anyways, so maybe you should get to that in Britain. If you decide to do it the French way, they have a machine that does most of the work for you.  ;)

This is the problem with never having had a proper revolution.

One of my great desires for Scotland, alongside independence, is for nobility to be abolished in this country. At times I wish we could do it the French way.

Part of the Highlands/Islands rehabilitation process that took place in the 19th century was that we became a playground for wealthy people and gentry; that led tp the clearances where Highlanders were forced off their crofts and sent to America/Canada etc (I'm looking at you, Descan) to make way for deer hunting grounds which were seen as more profitable.

Many, many houses were also bought and built during this period, notably by Queen Victoria. The result is that despite the fact that 32,000 households (including 18,000 children) were recognised as homeless by Scottish local authorities in 2012/2013, I am surrounded by empty houses and holiday homes owned by wealthy people. Second homes are everywhere and in many cases the families (often moneyed English people or people who live further afield) do not take good care of them and allow them to fall into disrepair or neglect. In my county alone there are 2,150 vacant dwellings and 2,000 or so second homes.

The Queen herself comes into this absentee-land-ownership category,  owning 3 private properties in Scotland including two lodges on a 49,000 acre estate and a castle as well as an official palace in Edinburgh. Prince Charles also owns a 53,000 acre private estate in Scotland.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:40:17 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: May 21, 2014, 10:53:31 am »

Well, in Germany losing nobility privileges was a result of a revolution too, but them losing their property was a more gradual and comparatively peaceful process, except for the war-related events in the East obviously. Having a mostly free peasantry (and thus a lot less resentment) compared to Eastern Europe helped with that.
There are a few noble families who still are quite wealthy, though they have moved on to become entrepreneurs. Others don't even own the family castle anymore. In terms of land ownership, the ones that still have big properties are for the most part owners of private forests.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:26 am »

2) Why would small farms be more efficient than large ones? Both largely use the same technologies, and then economics of scale kick in.
Well, it's not small farms per se. It's just that small farms use more manpower/area, therefore allowing high intensity non machinable techniques like multicultures and compagnion planting and such. You can do that on a large scale farm as well, but it won't be cost effective.
So 'small farms are more efficient' is code for 'we should pay the agricultural workers lower wages'? Because that's what it sounds like - with lower wages, the difference between small and large farms vanishes - especially since the farming methods (use of harvesters and such, monoculture, use of pesticides and fertilizer, etc) are the same regardless of farm size.

As for vertical farms - has there ever been a successful proof of concept?
Nope, you're wrong there. Small farms get their increased crop productivity from using nonconventional farming techniques. Basically, they focus on polycultures. This allows them to grow more plants on the same space using less resources, but means that machination can't be used as extensively. Therefore, you need more human workforce for the same amount of food produced.

Those that don't are usually less space efficient than large scale farms

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:08 am »

that led to the clearances where Highlanders were forced off their crofts and sent to America/Canada etc (I'm looking at you, Descan)
Aye, that's probably why my great- or great-great-grandfather came to Nova Scotia.
The result is that despite the fact that 32,000 households (including 18,000 children) were recognised as homeless by Scottish local authorities in 2012/2013, I am surrounded by empty houses and holiday homes owned by wealthy people.
That problem, of many homeless and many unoccupied homes, is a huge issue in America and I believe Canada as well. As many as 10 homes for every homeless person in America, but even something as low as 2 or 3 empty homes per homeless is too many.

The colonies, it seems, has the same problem of absentee landlords and gentry. The only difference is that the colonial gentry doesn't have the veneer of nobility to hide behind.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:13 am »

Possible positive signs that Russia actually is moving troops back. Though I'm still skeptical and it could be a ruse.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0E10NK20140521?irpc=932

Also, a British journalist was detained in eastern Ukraine. While on the surface of it, it looks like just another 'journalist detained in eastern Ukraine' story, there is some irony here, the guy actually works for a Russian tv station, not American, not British, a Russian tv station. There are also two actual Russian journalists who got detained.

I guess it was just a matter of time before Russian journalists got caught in the crossfire and I just find it really ironic that the pro-Russians detained journalists who are supposed to be on their side.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-27506545

Quite the headache for Putin and its clear by now that he has no control over the people in eastern Ukraine.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: May 21, 2014, 11:55:45 am »

I do believe that the only person insisting on people in eastern Ukraine being secretly russian elite military (at least in this forum) was Ukrainian Ranger (oh wait I said that too how embarrassing).
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:03 am »

That was Crimea. The 'rebels' are fascist mobs cultivated by Putin & the coterie. Noticing that having Russian special forces [ones who brag on twitter and carry their nametags still] without insignias might be a bit on the obvious side might've changed the policy of meddling in Ukraine proper. Now they just supply militias with weapons and cultivate terrorism, much like certain Jihadists.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:02:36 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:06 am »

I guess it was just a matter of time before Russian journalists got caught in the crossfire and I just find it really ironic that the pro-Russians detained journalists who are supposed to be on their side.

Russia doesn't exactly have a wealth of respect for free press. I think they'd be as likely to detain their own free press as they would international press.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »

Possible positive signs that Russia actually is moving troops back. Though I'm still skeptical and it could be a ruse.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0E10NK20140521?irpc=932

Also, a British journalist was detained in eastern Ukraine. While on the surface of it, it looks like just another 'journalist detained in eastern Ukraine' story, there is some irony here, the guy actually works for a Russian tv station, not American, not British, a Russian tv station. There are also two actual Russian journalists who got detained.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-27506545

Quite the headache for Putin and its clear by now that he has no control over the people in eastern Ukraine.
Graham Phillips was actually detained by Ukrainian National Guard, as the BBC article clearly states.
It's a part of the ongoing Ukrainian crackdown on Russian and pro-Russian journalists operating in the area. On the 18th of May, Ukrainian forces also detained Marat Saichenko and Oleg Sidyakin, Russian journalists from Life News television channel. Ukrainian security forces accuse them of terrorism, with the only proof being a portable air defence system allegedly found inside their car.

Also, Russia and China has signed a massive 30-year gas deal today.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:04:26 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: May 21, 2014, 12:06:42 pm »

Ukrainian security forces accuse them of terrorism, with the only proof being a portable air defence system allegedly found inside their car.

Yeah, no big threat there

Wonder how those 'rebels' are getting their ground-to-air missiles, possibly journalists 'journalists' working under the guise of state security apparatus RT bringing them in?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: May 21, 2014, 12:20:27 pm »

Ukrainian security forces accuse them of terrorism, with the only proof being a portable air defence system allegedly found inside their car.

Yeah, no big threat there

Wonder how those 'rebels' are getting their ground-to-air missiles, possibly journalists 'journalists' working under the guise of state security apparatus RT bringing them in?
Oddly enough, the MANPADS the Ukrainians "found" was a Polish "Grom" (a reverse-engineered and slightly modified Igla) system. They didn't film the Grom lying in the car or anything like that, they just put it on a piece of blue cloth and stated it belonged to Russian journalists.

Also, Mictlantecuhtli, I'm genuinely curious, do you (or any of your relatives, or ancestors) come from Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, or any other country which was horribly oppressed by Russia?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:23:42 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: May 21, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »

One must be oppressed by an oppressive country to see it's oppression.

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 1393