Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1625117 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5700 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

A friend of mine was at that UKIP carnival they organized in Croydon. The echoes I've got were really fun. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:15 pm »

Speaking of the election, while the Front National had been toning down their image and rhetoric a bit in recent years, Jean-Marie Le Pen has proposed to reduce immigration by letting Ebola take care of the population growth in Africa... (link in French)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: May 21, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

Oddly enough, the MANPADS the Ukrainians "found" was a Polish "Grom" (a reverse-engineered and slightly modified Igla) system. They didn't film the Grom lying in the car or anything like that, they just put it on a piece of blue cloth and stated it belonged to Russian journalists.
Oddly enough several pieces of that kind of Manpads were captured by Russian forces in Georgia in 2008.... I am sure that this is a coincidence

As for Russian special forces\mercenaries in Slavyansk\Kratmatorsk.  I am sure that they are not there. I am sure that they don't die and their bodies don't disappear afterwards. Non-existing forces have a nice feauture - Geneva conventions doesn't apply to them
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:56:25 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5703 on: May 21, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

Sooo, about that cheese..
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

I actually use fascist all the time in a tongue-in-cheek way. The bus is late? Fascist. The vending machine is out of sausages? Fascist. The bus is early and I miss it? Fascist. My teacher moves an exam? Facist. Fascists all the way!
Fascist and related terms a little too nazty for my tastes (I'll see myself out). Personally, I accuse everything of being a communist plot.
Speaking of fascists, voting in the UK tomorrow for the European Parliment members and UKIP have gotten disturbing amounts of press as of late. Most people I know are pretty steadfast against them, to the point of being more concerned that they don't get a majority than that Labour/Green/Conservative/LibDem do.

Here's hoping. On the bright side, Twitter did a good job of putting them in their place. 19 is my favourite.
Speaking of the election, while the Front National had been toning down their image and rhetoric a bit in recent years, Jean-Marie Le Pen has proposed to reduce immigration by letting Ebola take care of the population growth in Africa... (link in French)
I must say that, from over here on the sidelines, the slow march of the far right in Europe worries me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »

I actually use fascist all the time in a tongue-in-cheek way. The bus is late? Fascist. The vending machine is out of sausages? Fascist. The bus is early and I miss it? Fascist. My teacher moves an exam? Facist. Fascists all the way!
It works great in German - 'Diese faschistischen Busfahrer' (those fascist bus drivers) sounds a bit like 'diese verschissenen Busfahrer' (those... shat-out? Something like that... bus drivers).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:48 pm »

Fascist and related terms a little too nazty for my tastes (I'll see myself out). Personally, I accuse everything of being a communist plot.
Speaking of fascists, voting in the UK tomorrow for the European Parliment members and UKIP have gotten disturbing amounts of press as of late. Most people I know are pretty steadfast against them, to the point of being more concerned that they don't get a majority than that Labour/Green/Conservative/LibDem do.

Here's hoping. On the bright side, Twitter did a good job of putting them in their place. 19 is my favourite.
I must say that, from over here on the sidelines, the slow march of the far right in Europe worries me.

Lets see them say that when Ebola manages to spread itself to France.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:47 pm »

@misko27

Agreed. While I can't claim to follow European politics closely, the right does seem to be more visible than it's been in the last decade.

Maybe it goes through cycles. Extremists come into power, everything goes to hell, they're dethroned, their predecessors try to remain as extreme and become demonized. The years pass, they become wiser, moderate their public views until they're no longer viewed as dangerous. They enter politics slowly at first and their legitimacy builds until it finally becomes a victory on the back of an event like a massive economic downturn, and the whole thing repeats.

I mean, look at the KKK in the US. They're in the upswing of the cycle, where they've established a "legitimate" political organization so they can interact openly with the political system. The KKK still isn't strong in the US because it carries so much baggage and is still too fresh in the minds of people that knew the old klan, but when you're down the only to go is up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: May 21, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »

Maybe it goes through cycles. Extremists come into power, everything goes to hell, they're dethroned, their predecessors try to remain as extreme and become demonized. The years pass, they become wiser, moderate their public views until they're no longer viewed as dangerous. They enter politics slowly at first and their legitimacy builds until it finally becomes a victory on the back of an event like a massive economic downturn, and the whole thing repeats.

Seems oddly reminiscent of Ibn Khaldun's work.

He was writing in the 14th century and only had access to history that had lots of narrative but little hard data.  As such it was easy for him to shoehorn everything into a cyclical narrative because he didn't have much reliable historical information that would contradict his theory.  What's your excuse?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: May 21, 2014, 11:33:38 pm »

are you kidding when that happens every single anti-immigrant movement in europe will be immediately legitimized

"HEY GUYS WE TOLD YOU TO BAN IMMIGRATION AND NOW WE HAVE EBOLA IN OUR BORDERS THANKS [insert leader surname]"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:29 pm »

Seems oddly reminiscent of Ibn Khaldun's work.

He was writing in the 14th century and only had access to history that had lots of narrative but little hard data.  As such it was easy for him to shoehorn everything into a cyclical narrative because he didn't have much reliable historical information that would contradict his theory.  What's your excuse?

I thought it up in about 4 minutes and haven't actually researched history seriously since I almost had a history major worth of hours in college. Also I guess I'm not really willing to put hours into trying to impress anyone on the internet with a theory.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:10 pm »

That's a pretty solid explanation.  Covers all the angles.  10/10
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:44 pm »

That's a pretty solid explanation.  Covers all the angles.  10/10

Oh god, validation. Now you've done it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: May 22, 2014, 12:50:22 am »

are you kidding when that happens every single anti-immigrant movement in europe will be immediately legitimized

"HEY GUYS WE TOLD YOU TO BAN IMMIGRATION AND NOW WE HAVE EBOLA IN OUR BORDERS THANKS [insert leader surname]"

Disease doesn't rely solely on immigration to spread.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: May 22, 2014, 12:58:11 am »

this specific one though? it'd be pretty hard to transport infected animals without doing it on purpose so humans are the only reliable transmission vector

it doesn't take mental gymnastics to see that people would jump the everloving fuck out of this subject and all things considered, the backswing on that incident would probably lead to something drastic like borders being closed
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1393