Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624727 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5715 on: May 22, 2014, 01:59:36 am »

Ebola isn't airborne however, and seeing as the animas that spread it probably* don't exist in Europe, the chance of an epidemic here is small. Just have to ensure that medical equipment is clean (should be no problem) and that there's no fluid transfer.

I mean, Ebola has broken out here once, in a lab accident.

*There's no final conclusion on what animal hosts the disease, but it's probably monkey's or fruit bats.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:33:44 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: May 22, 2014, 08:02:19 am »

@misko27

Agreed. While I can't claim to follow European politics closely, the right does seem to be more visible than it's been in the last decade.

Maybe it goes through cycles. Extremists come into power, everything goes to hell, they're dethroned, their predecessors try to remain as extreme and become demonized. The years pass, they become wiser, moderate their public views until they're no longer viewed as dangerous. They enter politics slowly at first and their legitimacy builds until it finally becomes a victory on the back of an event like a massive economic downturn, and the whole thing repeats.
They are a lot more visible than a decade or two ago. I wouldn't say it's a cycle though, just a backlash to societal changes that is more or less to be expected. Also the far right isn't a homogenous movement, but very splintered plus very different from country to country. Some are actual Neo-Nazis barely masking as moderates, others rather are moderates who are socially progressive except for their opposition to the EU and/or to immigration. So while they will probably do well in the European election (because the turnout is going to be low), better than in national elections certainly, they might not even be able to cooperate much in parliament because they don't agree on all that much. Generally right-wing populism has benefited from the economic downturn, disillusionment with politics and what is perceived as the negative consequences of European integration, like abuse of the welfare state, increased immigration leading to cultural clashes and so on.
I don't know if that is something to worry much about (yet), because these developments manifest differently in every EU country, but it is definitely a sign that the mainstream parties have been doing a poor job reaching a lot of disappointed voters who might now move on to vote for far-right parties.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: May 22, 2014, 08:19:19 am »

13  Ukrainian soldiers were killed in an ambush today
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:31:30 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:35 am »

The Chechen nationalists are claiming that Igor Girkin, also known as "Strelkov", committed atrocities during his time in the Russian special forces in Chechnya. He is commander of the Donbass People's Militia group and is a Russian citizen from Moscow.

Spoiler: You may recognise him (click to show/hide)

The alleged atrocities (namely kidnappings, disappearances, torture and murders) took place near Hatuni in the Vedenskiy district of Chechnya. The atrocities are listed in this translated article - take note that when they say "Fusiliers", that is a direct translation of the name Strelkov. More like "of Fusiliers". For Russian speakers use this URL.

Quote from: Chechen Press
"It is known that the soldiers of the 45th Regiment separate special purpose Airborne RF Armed Forces involvement in the disappearance of many residents Vedeno District of Chechnya in 2001. In some cases, it is known that the name of the officer involved in the kidnapping, was Strelkov."

Whenever they talk about a guy with the name "Gunman" or similar (Strelok literally means gunman/gunslinger), that is meant to be the officer they think was Strelkov. He went by a variety of pseudonyms such as Nikolai and Igor.

Here is the source. They really need someone to write their stuff for them, it almost seems like it's been directly translated from Russian/Chechen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:53:52 am by Owlbread »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: May 22, 2014, 10:53:52 am »

The Chechen nationalists are claiming that Igor Girkin, also known as "Strelkov"

Marked One, I have a new mission for you..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: May 22, 2014, 10:58:32 am »

The Chechen nationalists are claiming that Igor Girkin, also known as "Strelkov"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: May 22, 2014, 04:03:28 pm »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:35 pm »

Looks like Putin really is moving troops out, but is taking his time. Not sure how quickly he got the 40k troops over there, but I'm sure Russia is just as capable of moving that many units out in the time that it took to get them to the border.

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL6N0O83J920140522?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: May 23, 2014, 03:08:22 am »

So yesterday the Dutch and UK voted for the EU parliament. Official results won't be released until sunday evening (once everyone has voted), but exit polls show a big loose for the Dutch PVV, sliding in third place, with the liberals and conservatives taking the first and second place respectively. The PVV is also loosing two MEPs.

I cannot seems to find exit polls for the UK though. It'd be interesting to know how UKIP and the Green fared.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:57 am »

So yesterday the Dutch and UK voted for the EU parliament. Official results won't be released until sunday evening (once everyone has voted), but exit polls show a big loose for the Dutch PVV, sliding in third place, with the liberals and conservatives taking the first and second place respectively. The PVV is also loosing two MEPs.

I cannot seems to find exit polls for the UK though. It'd be interesting to know how UKIP and the Green fared.
PVV losing that much is a surprise.

In the local elections UKIP did very well apparently, so if that's any indication, they probably did well in the EU parliament election too.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: May 23, 2014, 03:36:00 am »

It depends of your definition of very well. Sure, they have a large gain, but if you look at the vote share, they're only the third party.It would still be a gain (15-16 MEPs) versus 13 at the last elections), but not a landslide.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: May 23, 2014, 03:38:43 am »

is this when i get to shout "fffffffffffuck the eurosceptics" and get an overwhelming positive response or should i wait until the results are in?

sad thing is, i support a bit of their policies since nobody else even covers that ground but they just have to hate the union alongside them

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: May 23, 2014, 05:45:58 am »

I'm looking forward to Sunday when the the Euro votes come through.

First thoughts on the British local elections: there are more No Overall Control councils so far (the votes are still being counted in some places). Given that independent counsellors often always vote with one party or other, the de facto control of many NOC councils is more certain than it first appears. For instance, in Basinstoke there are four independents and I know two of them vote alongside Conservatives, so where it was a de facto Conservative council before, now I think Lib-Lab beats Con-UKIP by one or two people.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:03:57 am by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1393