Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624736 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5730 on: May 23, 2014, 08:20:35 am »

Putin is saying that he will respect the Ukraine vote, yet he still says Yanukovich is the legitimate president. Is anybody else as skeptical as I am about Putin actually 'respecting' the vote? Of course, it would be his version of respecting it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/putin-russia-will-respect-result-of-ukraine-vote/2014/05/23/3b78b2e8-e275-11e3-9442-54189bf1a809_story.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27542057

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/putin-yanukovich-is-ukraines-legitimate-president-2014-05-23?link=MW_home_latest_news (I know this isn't exactly news, but he also said this today at the same time as saying he will respect the Ukraine vote, which is why I linked it)

Also, apparently a general has said 'retaliatory measures' are needed against the NATO buildup along the border, which doesn't exactly help de-escalate the whole thing and just makes the NATO members that they are trying to reassure, even more nervous. I doubt the 'retaliatory measures' will be anything more than Russian troop buildups along the Balkans and flexing of military muscle.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/23/russia-nato-general-idUSL6N0O91HT20140523

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: May 23, 2014, 08:30:05 am »

Well, Yanukovitch is the legitimate president now, until the elections.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: May 23, 2014, 08:37:18 am »

Well, Yanukovitch is the legitimate president now, until the elections.

I don't see him as particularily legitimate since he pretty much abandoned his country when he got ousted. However, in legal and technical terms, yes he is legit since a successor hasn't been elected yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: May 23, 2014, 08:38:14 am »

I was just pointing out that Putin's words were internally consistent.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: May 23, 2014, 09:55:09 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzAIXo9BeFA

Advertising VICE news again. Another great report.
 Pro-Russian supporter here is very typical.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: May 23, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzAIXo9BeFA

Advertising VICE news again. Another great report.
 Pro-Russian supporter here is very typical.
The way Ukrainians and Russians (and other people supporting them) call each other's political opponents in the comment section of this video,  other videos and articles and on social media is very notable: "Banderites", "Ruscists", "Pravosecs", "[Russian] Zombies", "[Ukrainian] Fascists", "Maidowns", "KGB spies/shills", and so on, and so forth. The demonization and dehumanization of opposing parties and ethnicities is at full swing and probably (and unfortunately) won't stop any time soon. Hell, it's even slowly creeping in the Western media.

When I first visited Donetsk at the end of March, I was surprised by the hostility demonstrators expressed toward me when I tried to interview them. Reporting from Serbia after the 1999 NATO bombing campaign was easier, because people—no matter how angry—wanted to express an opinion. At the Donetsk protests, I felt like I was facing an army of zombies programmed by Russian state media to rail in unison against the “Kiev junta” and its Western masters. Today those people are armed with guns.

How would one fare in America if he or she would call Republican or Democrat supporters "zombies" in articles written for news sites?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:51:03 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5736 on: May 23, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »

Sometimes I wish I could take two people with opposing view points, lock them in two metal cages opposite each other and force them to talk. If silent for more than a minute, or if their voice raises over a certain volume, they get a non-lethal but painful electric shock. Just to see what happens.

In fact, if elected as glorious leader this will be how all political debates will happen during my regime. Televised, of course.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:03:44 pm by MorleyDev »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: May 23, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »

Sometimes I wish I could take two people with opposing view points, lock them in two metal cages opposite each other and force them to talk. If silent for more than a minute, or if their voice raises over a certain volume, they get a non-lethal but painful electric shock. Just to see what happens.

This is the very purpose of the Internets, isn't it?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5738 on: May 23, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

This is the very purpose of the Internets, isn't it?

Nah, the internet doesn't have the volume control. Or electric shocks.

Can't have a proper debate without electric shocks.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: May 23, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »

Can't have a proper debate without electric shocks.

Sigged
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: May 23, 2014, 02:13:51 pm »

When people have views like :
Person A "You should be killed" and Person B "No, I should remain alive." It is idiotic to try to achieve a compromise or negotiate anything in that case. With electroshocks or not

There are no ethnic conflict in Ukraine. It is a war of ideologies, it is a war between Ukraine and Russian Federation. It is not a war of Russians vs Ukrainians. As soon as Russia will stop fueling war with it's forces and supplies (never, as long as Putin in power) the war will end fast because those pro-Russians are pathetic both in numbers, bravery and ability to wage war
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »

Hell, it's even slowly creeping in the Western media.
It's been there since quite a while, the Putin/Hitler comparisons popped up quite early and the pacifist / anti-fascist left has been raging about the supposed Neo-Nazis in Ukraine for months (like the ones that protested Steinmeier's speech in that video you posted earlier).

How would one fare in America if he or she would call Republican or Democrat supporters "zombies" in articles written for news sites?
Actually with the political division in America, I'm pretty sure that has already been done.

I think the European press is doing a bit better, but then people don't like to be neutral observers or figuring out complicated situations, they want good and evil and yelling at each other.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: May 23, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »

Liberals in the US have been called zombies for years, it's nothing new.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: May 23, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »

Well it looks like its civil war in Ukraine . Pro russian are using guerrilla fighting, and hiding in pro ukraine supporters in the city. I dont see how this will end without federalization of the country now

Some videos of Ukraine (pro kiev) attacking their own soldiers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQmRUxhwVQ
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:51:04 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: May 23, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »

UK is a very weird abreviation for Ukraine.
I thought you ment Brittain for a second.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 1393