Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624628 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5820 on: May 24, 2014, 12:51:32 pm »

Scotland doesn't have to have a navy for Russia to dislike Scotland.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: May 24, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »

I didn't say anti-Scottish navy. I said anti-Scotland.

________
My opinion on "New Russia" thing... You know what is the "funniest" thing here? That is a typical name for a newly gained colony. They don't even hide their intention to be a Russian colony.... Ukrainians will have a role of savage natives that should be genocided to free the land

One more - that region was  called New Russia because before conquests of 18th century it wasn't Russian. No single Russian lived in that area before that. It was ethnic territory of Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:02:25 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »

I wonder when did that Ukrainian ethnos appeared. Because Kiev was the capital of the Rus' (Russia before Mongol Conquests).
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »

I wonder when did that Ukrainian ethnos appeared. Because Kiev was the capital of the Rus' (Russia before Mongol Conquests).

After WWI. Thanks Austria-Hungary, RIP.

Disregard that. My arguments for it just turned out to be invalid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:14:03 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: May 24, 2014, 01:30:22 pm »

Ukrainian ethnos renamed itself from Rusins to Ukrainians at some point of time.   Why that renaming happened? Because of other nation with similar name... sharing name with the enemy who actively tries to assimilate you is uncomfortable.

Russians claiming that Kiev Rus is Russia are as funny as if Romanians would claim  that The Roman Empire is Romania and Italy should give back Rome

Not wanna to discuss that further because it is very flammable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:32:27 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: May 24, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »

My opinion on "New Russia" thing... You know what is the "funniest" thing here? That is a typical name for a newly gained colony. They don't even hide their intention to be a Russian colony.... Ukrainians will have a role of savage natives that should be genocided to free the land

One more - that region was  called New Russia because before conquests of 18th century it wasn't Russian. No single Russian lived in that area before that. It was ethnic territory of Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars

For some of the Russian irredentists/Novorossiya supporters that go on about "historical claims" and how that land used to be Russian before the Soviets parceled it off, it reminds me of how American history begins with the coming of the white man, or Christopher Columbus. It's like all those centuries and centuries of independent Native American history don't matter. For the Novorossiyans, history begins in the 19th century.

The thing I always do when I look at a colonial/Imperial country like Russia or the USA and I look at a particular territory of it, I always ask myself "who lived there before? Whose land was this?". You can discover some pretty interesting things that way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:50:09 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »

For some of the Russian irredentists/Novorossiya supporters that go on about "historical claims" and how that land used to be Russian before the Soviets parceled it off, it reminds me of how American history begins with the coming of the white man, or Christopher Columbus. It's like all those centuries and centuries of independent Native American history don't matter. For the Novorossiyans, history begins in the 19th century.

The thing I always do when I look at a colonial/Imperial country like Russia or the USA and I look at a particular territory of it, I always ask myself "who lived there before?". You can discover some pretty interesting things that way.
But then you remember that there were people who lived before those people. And the chain can be continued until all you have is a single tribe of ancient humans. Therefore, we must surrender all our territories to cavemen.  :P

EDIT: That means that no nation or ethnos can claim that there is a territory which belongs only to them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:53:57 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: May 24, 2014, 01:57:21 pm »

The thing I always do when I look at a colonial/Imperial country like Russia or the USA and I look at a particular territory of it, I always ask myself "who lived there before? Whose land was this?". You can discover some pretty interesting things that way.
The entire territory which constitutes Novorossiya had practically no permanent settlements (except some Ottoman outposts) because of Crimean Tatars and other nomads. It was called the Wild Fields for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:00:28 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: May 24, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »

Sounds like it should be Turkey's then.  ;D
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: May 24, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »

Sounds like North America should be Native American's then. ;D
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: May 24, 2014, 02:11:27 pm »

Sounds like North America should be Native American's then. ;D
Yeah, and Eastern Germany should belong to the Slavs (Wends, to be precise).

...and Sicily along with Southernmost Italy should belong to Greece.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:19:10 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: May 24, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »

The entire territory which constitutes Novorossiya had practically no permanent settlements (except some Ottoman outposts) because of Crimean Tatars and other nomads. It was called the Wild Fields for a reason.

There was me thinking all that belonged to various Ukrainian Cossack fiefdoms. I'll have to wait for Ukrainian Ranger to back me up there.

But then you remember that there were people who lived before those people. And the chain can be continued until all you have is a single tribe of ancient humans. Therefore, we must surrender all our territories to cavemen.  :P

EDIT: That means that no nation or ethnos can claim that there is a territory which belongs only to them.

I take this approach with Scotland:

Spoiler: A brief history (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:41:13 pm by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: May 24, 2014, 02:49:33 pm »

I bet they are using this specifically to piss off Owlbread.

Yeah, and Eastern Germany should belong to the Slavs (Wends, to be precise).
Nope, the Germanic tribes that lived there just left for a bit to plunder and pillage Southern Europe before the Slavs snuck in. Before the migration period that whole area (including big parts of Poland) was germanic.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: May 24, 2014, 03:09:35 pm »

I get a big confederate states vibe from that flag.
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: May 24, 2014, 03:13:08 pm »

There was me thinking all that belonged to various Ukrainian Cossack fiefdoms. I'll have to wait for Ukrainian Ranger to back me up there.
Bassically it was an area of constant warfare between Cossacks and Crimean Tatars. It was sparsely populated frontier not empty lands

_________
I am in a very bad mood and keep waiting when anti-terror operation will become counter terror operation... So far Ukrainian forces do nothing but sit in one place and serve as alive targets, only shoot back. No attempts to attack for the whole duration of that shit... I am actually dreaming about a real junta now... That kind of government would do something productive
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 1393