Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647161 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6135 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »

Renegotiate? Hell, the rest should do that - and finally get rid of England's privileges.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »

Really? My understanding was that it was going to be an in-out referendum with Cameron trying to gain anything before that. It's not like the UK is likely to get anything more from the EU at this point.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: May 31, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »

Well, he is using it that way with voters, but he is also using it to blackmails other EU countries into giving the UK an even sweeter deal. He is also using it to keep his Eurosceptics backbenchers quiet. He his walking the tightrope there, and well, sometime tightrope walkers fall down. I hope he doesn't bring the UK down with him.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: May 31, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

Merkel's support for Junker is less than enthusiastic, so she might negotiate and a compromise candidate might emerge (rumored to be Donald Tusk). It's German policy to keep the UK in the EU, so there probably will be a deal.
On the other hand the AfD (who German mainstream parties try to paint as right wing populists) has joined the Tories' parliamentary group (the European Conservatives and Reformists), so that might piss Merkel off a bit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:20:21 pm by XXSockXX »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: May 31, 2014, 01:37:53 pm »

Well, there's a German saying: Reisende soll man nicht aufhalten. If they want to leave, we should let them - and not keep making foul compromises.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: May 31, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »

On the other hand the AfD (who German mainstream parties try to paint as right wing populists) has joined the Tories' parliamentary group (the European Conservatives and Reformists), so that might piss Merkel off a bit.

They havn't joined yet, they plan to join AECR in November if Lucke can keep the party from exploding until then. Many members of the AfD party member have great sympathy for UKIP.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: May 31, 2014, 06:26:45 pm »

Different from what?
The Bay12 postcard club

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: May 31, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

I don't think much of anyone has a cohesive legal philosophy of privacy these days, politician or otherwise.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: June 01, 2014, 05:43:11 am »

younger people seem to be more concerned with the rich guys sitting on billions
Are they, though? Apart from populists and those that fall for them. Most of the people I take seriously are middle-left, and generally opposed to sweeping expropriation schemes.)
(Plus 'sitting on billions and not doing anything with that money' would be no problem, it would just lower inflation. If you are correct and there is indeed a problem, it would be what they do do with that money.)
The Bay12 postcard club

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: June 01, 2014, 06:24:50 am »

Mi-8 crashed in Murmansk.
Sometimes coincidences are very ironic.

That happened just after widespread Russian gloating over shot down Ukrainian Mi-8.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: June 01, 2014, 06:31:59 am »

younger people seem to be more concerned with the rich guys sitting on billions
Are they, though? Apart from populists and those that fall for them. Most of the people I take seriously are middle-left, and generally opposed to sweeping expropriation schemes.)
(Plus 'sitting on billions and not doing anything with that money' would be no problem, it would just lower inflation. If you are correct and there is indeed a problem, it would be what they do do with that money.)
Lower inflation is not necessarily a good thing.
You want it to be around 2%, and it's often lower than that already. The Bank of England at least is trying to raise inflation. source, notice how interest rates went from almost 5% in '08 to 0.5% shortly afterwards.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: June 01, 2014, 06:37:27 am »

I know, slightly higher than 2% wouldn't be bad either - I just wanted to point out that 'Dem richers is hoarding money so ours inflations is going down! They's making our savings more valuable!' isn't really torches-and-pitchfork material.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:59 am »

I know, slightly higher than 2% wouldn't be bad either - I just wanted to point out that 'Dem richers is hoarding money so ours inflations is going down! They's making our savings more valuable!' isn't really torches-and-pitchfork material.
I guess the real torches-and-pitchfork materials is the fact that there are people who are sitting on money while there are a lot of people who have barely enough for food.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:21 am »

If Bill Gates had fourteen septillion bucks stored away on Jupiter, would that inpact the economy? Money that's stored away and not spent can be safely ignored. The problem is that there's people wasting resources and labor (i.e. money) while other people starve.
The Bay12 postcard club

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: June 01, 2014, 07:02:38 am »

If Bill Gates had fourteen septillion bucks stored away on Jupiter, would that inpact the economy? Money that's stored away and not spent can be safely ignored. The problem is that there's people wasting resources and labor (i.e. money) while other people starve.

AHA! LABOR THEORY OF VALUE! GOTCHA!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1393