Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1645957 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9720 on: August 27, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

His troops encircled by a considerable number of Russian paratroopers. That is what his own facebook says. If you use him as a source, then... :) Ands I trust him. What pisses me, that everyone, Russia, West, OSCE, Western journalists and even Ukrainian President pretend that this is not happening.

Encircled for dive days? So? We had groups that were encircled for weeks. It is a war against larger army, stuff like that happen. Situation there is shitty. Situation at Saur-mogila hill is even shittier but their commander has no facebook page and can't whine

We will have many tactical defeats in that war. It is very likely we will lose that war because we are just not ready for conflict of that scale and have little to no allies
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:40 pm »

Somehow when it was in Georgia, the Western mass media INSTANTLY said that it was Russian invasion.
But apparently after 6 years Putin has managed to completely take control over Western media and now they ignore it.

putin is overpowered pls nerf
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »

One depicted three black men with nooses around their necks. Another showed Roma community leaders with text suggesting they condoned crime.

It is unusual for Swedish courts to hand out prison terms for art works. Park, who has several similar convictions, said his works were satirical and claimed the right to freedom of speech.
Here's a picture of the guy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trying to decipher this one..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Google translate says 'Stop Violations!'
On June 14, given the controversial book "Bögjävlar" out, a deal with the Swedish contemporary gay culture. The book was written by Daniel Birch, Tomas Hometown, Stefan Ingvarsson, Petter Wallenberg and Roger Wilson, and is accompanied by a blog at www.bogjavlar.se.

The thesis of the book is that the recent years media and pop culture success of homosexuals have been "at the cost of neutering and leveling down," according to a press release. To be accepted queer worlds have adopted a cheerful smile front out to the community and made himself limited, infantile and simplistic. The book also hopes to introduce the criticism gaykulturens mainstream formulated in recent years in the United States and England. (TT Spectra)
Looks sketchy, but I don't recognize the black guy so I might be missing something.

Any swedes here able to shed more light on this & how his 'freedom of expression' plea will go?

That would be me, I suppose. I'm not sure how much light I can shed, because I haven't heard much about it myself, but I can at least translate some stuff.

"Sluta kränk!" doesn't mean "stop violations", but more something like "stop offending". The modern use of "Kränk" is more or less equivalent to the use of "offended/offensive" in English (and it has similar criticism of how people are too quick/overeager to use it and of "the offended society" etc), and if used sarcasticly can have an implication of infantilism/over-emotionality/being to easily offended.

"Bögjävlar" is two words (the Swedish language compounds words rather than leaving them apart like in English); "bög", meaning "faggot"; and "-jävlar", which directly translates to "devils" but it's usage is more like "fuckers" or "bastards"  in that you apply it to group-names when you want to insult them. In short, "bögjävlar" is a common slur against gay people. So it's not likely it has anything to do with that book you linked in itself. I haven't looked into that, though. The piece itself is fairly obviously crafted to offend people, but I can't what the actual message is supposed to be out of context like that.

As for his "freedom of expression" plea goes. It's not uncommon for people sentenced for "inciting against people group" to have their sentence annulled in higher courts. At this moment I have neither any knowledge of what court level he was tried at or if he is going to appeal to a higher one.

I can't say if he was guilty of inciting against black people, romani or jews, as I haven't seen much of the art, and neither have I heard anything about this artist in the past. From what little I've seen I think that at the very least the High Court would annul it, they've done so before. There usually has to be a level of inciting beyond just expressing hate, or be expressed by activist, politicians or other politically active people for it to hold. Artists are notoriously exempt from having to take responsibility for their work in Sweden (for good and for bad), but his previous "similar convictions", whatever that is supposed to mean, might have something to do with it.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: August 27, 2014, 03:49:26 pm »

Somehow when it was in Georgia, the Western mass media INSTANTLY said that it was Russian invasion.
But apparently after 6 years Putin has managed to completely take control over Western media and now they ignore it.

putin is overpowered pls nerf

In Georgia Putin didn't deny.

The thing about this invasion of Ukraine is that no one in the west had a clue the Russians didn't get the memo that we aren't enemies anymore.  Thus there is a certain naivete in western media about Russian denials.  It's a bit like what the republicans have been doing in domestic politics for years.  Just insist you are right and never admit anything and the press wont have the balls to call you a liar.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:51:14 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »

Look, in Georgia the Western media has immediately said that it was a war of Russian aggression against Georgia. We said that the Georgia started the war first and it was a peacekeeping operation. They still say that this was a war of Russian aggression on Georgia.
See? They didn't get fooled by Russian media that time.

I don't get it. What is so different about the situation now?

EDIT: Even USA fear Russia so much it refuses to say that Russia has invaded Ukraine directly and instead uses ambiguous terms. Hi-la-ri-ous.

EDIT_2: This article explains everything. Putin is a genius of offensive diplomacy.
And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War#Bombing_of_Tbilisi
Doesn't look like intensive shelling to me, but okay.

I wonder if that "stealth-invasion" tactic will work on something like Estonia... that would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:13:21 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: August 27, 2014, 04:11:23 pm »

You don't openly shell Kiev as you did with Tblisi.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: August 27, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »

I wonder if that "stealth-invasion" tactic will work on something like Estonia... that would be wonderful.

Naw, then you'd have a real military to fight. Keep picking on countries that are isolated.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:54 pm »

Naw, then you'd have a real military to fight. Keep picking on countries that are isolated.
Didn't you get it? There wouldn't be an open invasion, just an escalation of pressure.
Do you know that most of Russian-speaking people living in Estonia are considered "non-citizens"?
Thus, you can do the DNR with them.

I'm sure the NATO troops won't start shooting unarmed people on the streets instantaneously. And thus they will fall into the same trap the Ukrainian soldiers did...
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:49 pm »

Look, in Georgia the Western media has immediately said that it was a war of Russian aggression against Georgia. We said that the Georgia started the war first and it was a peacekeeping operation. They still say that this was a war of Russian aggression on Georgia.
See? They didn't get fooled by Russian media that time.

I don't get it. What is so different about the situation now?
The Georgian government got blamed a lot for the situation back then in Western media. And Putin didn't deny Russian military action back then. Nobody was very happy about it, but I don't recall it being portrayed mostly as a war of Russian aggression, more like a very harsh reaction to some stupid moves by a Georgian government that was a bit overconfident about the backing it might get from the West.

What is different now is that this time Russia denies everything, even when it is ridiculous to do so and when almost nobody believes it anymore. No open involvement, just nice men in green, and regions "liberating" themselves.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: August 27, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

And we just won't be able to get it into the heads of my goddamn pseudo-pacifist countrymen that it'd be a good idea to be able to win a conventional war against Russia...

And Sergarr, if you guys pull that same shit in the Baltic states we'll do the same to you. If not our governments, then those citizens who can see clearly what game is being played.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: August 27, 2014, 04:32:13 pm »

Citizens will not notice how we will slowly cross the red-line... They will adapt over time, not noticing behind the informational storm that the world is slowly changing around them.

This article explains everything. Putin is a genius of offensive diplomacy.

Seriously, read this. It explains everything.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: August 27, 2014, 04:33:10 pm »

Hello war!

Hold your line guys, hold your line... With incompetence of our generals total mobilization will be a slow process
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: August 27, 2014, 04:33:22 pm »

Nobody was very happy about it, but I don't recall it being portrayed mostly as a war of Russian aggression, more like a very harsh reaction to some stupid moves by a Georgian government that was a bit overconfident about the backing it might get from the West.
CNN's broadcast of 08.08.08, "Russia Invades Georgia"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:36:55 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:16 pm »

Nobody was very happy about it, but I don't recall it being portrayed mostly as a war of Russian aggression, more like a very harsh reaction to some stupid moves by a Georgian government that was a bit overconfident about the backing it might get from the West.
CNN's broadcast of 08.08.08, "Russia Invades Georgia"
Again this proves just how powerful the media control is. It allows you to literally rewrite history in as little time as six years.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1393