Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1645749 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10950 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:10 am »

Well, what's the make-up? Best case for you, there is a vote, people vote no, Sinn Fein's case is diminished.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:59 am »

Worst case, a return to the Troubles.

Middle case, much unrest and rioting over a period of time, much worse than the Flag Protests. Both sides of the community will be enflamed. Those who want Union with Ireland, and those who want Union with Britain will both be rather disgruntled.

The end vote would most likely be no. But, until then, it would do a lot of damage.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: September 15, 2014, 11:46:24 am »

Right, maybe it's because I come from a country where we're too busy setting up a meeting to discuss the color of the agenda where we'll inscribe the date of the exploratory conference that will determine who shall attend the discussion determining the order in which we will negotiate the potential change that we may (or not) do to solve problems that may (or not exist) to have the time for actual inter ethnic violence, but I keep forgetting how raw the tension can be in Ireland.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:42 am »

Also, it's Guardian G.I. who keeps comparing NATO to "That other alliance of progressive countries attacking in 1945". Not sure where he got the Nazi=progressive part.

From the fact that Nazis were radically progressive?

At least oligarchs in Russia do not have private TV channels AFAIK.

This basically. As Putin is the last man standing, it's easy to know who is in charge, who you should adress your demand to, and who represent the country. Compeare with the violent anarchy that were the 90's.

Interesting. I'm more and more inclined to think that Hungary is a mini-Russia without oil. At the very least hurt national pride by the West and high levels of nostalgy towards commie times seem to be common.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:41 am »

Hurt national pride by the West? You mean the swiss franc mortgage the Hungarians got saddled with? Or the dismantlement of Austra-Hungary back in 1921?

Also, if you're Hungarian, can you tell me what Jobbik means? Last time I was in Budapest, I saw a taxi company name "Jobbtaxi", with a map of pre-1921 Hungary painted on the doors, so I'm wondering what the word means. Were those neo-nazi taxis?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: September 15, 2014, 12:47:48 pm »

At least oligarchs in Russia do not have private TV channels AFAIK.

This basically. As Putin is the last man standing, it's easy to know who is in charge, who you should adress your demand to, and who represent the country. Compeare with the violent anarchy that were the 90's.

Putin is for sure the best thing that happened to russia in the last 20 and more years. Will it stay that way, we will see.
Make love not war

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: September 15, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »

Hungary is like Russia without oil... Hmmmm... You mean Ukraine should expect Hungarian-speaking "rebels", soon?

Googled Hungarian army... Nope, not a threat :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: September 15, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

From the fact that Nazis were radically progressive?

Ah yes, if we just ignore all the differences any two things are alike.

The Nazis were radically cheese.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:02 pm »

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: September 15, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »

Hungary is like Russia without oil... Hmmmm... You mean Ukraine should expect Hungarian-speaking "rebels", soon?

Ukraine? No. Countries around hungary a little  :)
Make love not war

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:07 pm »

Hurt national pride by the West? You mean the swiss franc mortgage the Hungarians got saddled with? Or the dismantlement of Austra-Hungary back in 1921?

Also, if you're Hungarian, can you tell me what Jobbik means? Last time I was in Budapest, I saw a taxi company name "Jobbtaxi", with a map of pre-1921 Hungary painted on the doors, so I'm wondering what the word means. Were those neo-nazi taxis?

I'm not Hungarian, but it they seem to basically be FN: Eastern Europe Edition. They're far right wing nationalists who, among other things, seek to annul the treaty of Trianon, remove foreign investors and therefore foreign influence (they have got something of an anti-semitic undertone there, too. Although no party official would ever admit it openly, they certainly attract the sort who would), and to criminalize "homosexual propoganda" like Russia did.

Funny you should mention that...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:40:07 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »

Speaking of banning 'homosexual propaganda', members of one of the largest opposition parties here in Poland have recently been trying to criminalize sexual education.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10962 on: September 15, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

I hope they stop being one of the largest opposition parties quite soon. Probably too much to hope for, considering how many people per country are absolute idiots.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: September 15, 2014, 01:54:46 pm »

We'll need quite some time to even out European cultures enough so that we can reasonably be called a nation. Which is why I am aginst Turkey adhesion btw. No way Eastern Turkey get in the European mold anytime soon.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: September 15, 2014, 02:00:12 pm »

So apparently parental leave for Dutch fathers is a thing now.

One small caveat: your wife has to die during childbirth.
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1393