Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1690028 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11265 on: September 21, 2014, 11:49:26 am »

I like how NOBODY listened to me telling them to go to the AGG thread since that thread was made to deal with this kind of stuff.

Unfortunately this may be Euro politics for a long time from now on. Brought to you by Putin.

don't blame putin for something you and a couple other posters are responsible, 'kay

he might be doing what he does, but it's you who discusses this here and not in agg

What AGG?

If Putin says twice in a summer "Russia could get to (European capital X) in a week" and keeps talking about military strength, threats, tanks, nukes, patriotic education, defending Russians abroad, I am hardly responsible for that with my barely microscopic political influence here at Bay12. Tanks and men in greens carrying automatic weapons have returned to the political discussions on the continent. Not having an open discussion at any level I dont think is likely to improve things. There is no true parliamentary or ministry-level discussion going on where I live and that is very worrying.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »

No, but you're responsible for bringing the discussion to hypothetical Russia-NATO wars. Which tends not to be really informative and bog the thread down.

In other news, I've heard there is a citizen's initiative being prepared to ask for a united EU army. What do you guys think? What form should a unified army take?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:18 pm »

AGG = Armchair General General thread ;)
'
edit: Yes, we needed a particular thread for that because of how often it kept derailing news-threads :D
Love, scriver~

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: September 21, 2014, 12:41:56 pm »

Miljan: That definition doesn't apply to the NATO treaty, as the 9/11 attacks weren't conducted on behalf of a state.

Now, of course what happened so far is way to mundane to trigger article 5. But that's the point of salami tactics: take a bite at a time. Suppose Russia next seize a Latvian cargo ship with its border guards. Armed attack? Now, Russia shoot warning shots at a Estonian Coast Guard vessel because it's too close to whatever. Armed attacks? Now, some scenario, but one shot hit "by mistake". Armed attack? Etc etc etc...
First salami tactic is divide and conquer and slowly take control. The thing you described is not salami tactic, its actually not any tactic. Its not testing nato article 5, as it can not be used in that regards. Not one of your examples give any logic or any way how they will take a bite on anything (maybe they want to conquer baltic states by capturing all the fishing boats? :)). In fact, the only thing it will make is the country be more prepared to problems and lower diplomatic relations if its done on purpose.

If russia wanted something to do in baltic, you should be sure, that there would be no testing, probing of anything (because its not very samrt thing to do if you do have a plan for something like that) but fast clean actions (but again that will not happen as there is in reality  nothing to gain and everything to lose).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:48:15 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: September 21, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »

No, but you're responsible for bringing the discussion to hypothetical Russia-NATO wars. Which tends not to be really informative and bog the thread down.

In other news, I've heard there is a citizen's initiative being prepared to ask for a united EU army. What do you guys think? What form should a unified army take?

I would actually love a EU army that will be independent and not tied to nato/usa. Where did you read that? Can you link it?
Make love not war

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: September 21, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »

Well it's one of the condition for Europe to exist as a "country". But if we have one army, that would mean that european countries give up sovereingty over forgein politics. Not going to happen anytime soon. So I expect a barely working clusterfuck.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: September 21, 2014, 12:46:34 pm »

Well it's one of the condition for Europe to exist as a "country". But if we have one army, that would mean that european countries give up sovereingty over forgein politics. Not going to happen anytime soon. So I expect a barely working clusterfuck.

Something like nato but only for EU should work?
Make love not war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: September 21, 2014, 12:53:23 pm »

That would just be a defensive alliance, it would still have the two problems of 1) You cannot be entirely certain your allies won't chicken out. and 2) It's incredibly inefficient. I cannot link to it, because I know of it from a guy that know a guy who is on the team.

We could already have great savings and gain increased interoperability if we had unified procurement at EU level for example.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: September 21, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

Anyway german families sue ukraine over mh17 crash

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/german-families-sue-ukraine-mh17-crash-25654475

And catalonia schedules independence referendum. It looks like italy venice region and bosnia srpska region may follow in the future

https://news.vice.com/article/catalonia-hails-scottish-inspiration-as-it-schedules-independence-referendum
Make love not war

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: September 21, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »

Russia has a lot of means to secure air supremacy, however. Ranging from anti-air missile complexes (S-300/400/500, Pantzir, etc.) everywhere to the fighter/interceptor aircraft on par with the best Western ones.
wanna talk airfoce?

For starters Russia has no enough pilots and no enough modern aircrafts (not that MIG-35 is comparable to F-22 or F-35 or even modernized F-16)

Crap like su-27 and mig-31 is nothing but a target. Crap in what matters in modern warfare - electronics. Plus, repeating myself, Russia has no enough pilots to tackle NATO
Are you kidding? The MiG-35 is superior in performance to the F-16 in just about every way. It's faster, has a better thrust:weight ratio, has a greater rate of climb, has a greater flight ceiling, and was specifically defined to counter modern Western aircraft. The only problem is that there are only a handful of them.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »

Are you kidding? The MiG-35 is superior in performance to the F-16 in just about every way. It's faster, has a better thrust:weight ratio, has a greater rate of climb, has a greater flight ceiling, and was specifically defined to counter modern Western aircraft. The only problem is that there are only a handful of them.

AGG thread man.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11276 on: September 21, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »

AGG = Armchair General General thread ;)
edit: Yes, we needed a particular thread for that because of how often it kept derailing news-threads :D
Still bloody well surprises me how often we drift into AGG territory.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: September 21, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »

Well, there's an ongoing invasion on European soil, so it's not too surprising, really.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

So, how's that lustration going on, UR? Has anybody been lustrated (and putting them into the trash can doesn't really count) already, or was that recent law just another ruse for the Maidan?
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »

As far as I know the law isn't signed by the President yet.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1393