Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624645 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13800 on: January 07, 2015, 07:20:04 am »

Oh, I was going to post that. 11 death, apparently 2 or more people barged into the office with assault rifles and manage to escape before the police arrived. Some witness report that the attackers shouted "The prophet is avenged", which make sense as Charlie Hebdo was known for printing a great many cartoons mocking Islam. (And everything else too).

Well, this sucks.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: January 07, 2015, 07:21:49 am »

This is going to strengthen the "anti-Islamisation" movements in Europe...
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: January 07, 2015, 07:24:38 am »

This is going to strengthen the "anti-Islamisation" movements in Europe...
Probably.
I think of this: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2939
Only the two groups aren't only shouting at each other.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:45 am »

Their latest "islam mocking" caricature was of an Islamic State guy cutting muhammad head off. muslims should praise that caricature that is basically pro Islam (Or at least, draws a clear distinction between Islam and Islamic State), but, well, it might be that those were terrorists that are pro Islamic State, which then makes sense.

https://arunwithaview.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/charlie-hebdo-on-isis/

Check out the prophecy at the bottom paragraph:
"Somehow I think security will be reinforced outside Charlie Hebdo’s office in the 11th arrondissement."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:30:29 am by Vilanat »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: January 07, 2015, 07:42:45 am »

2 police agents were killed in the attack, so the office was guarded (as it has been since they printed a few muhammed cartoons a few years back).

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:59 am »

BBC was hilariously partial to the No campaign. I remember almost putting a foot through my TV once they had Sturgeon talk for 5 minutes about independence while being shouted over by this newscaster the whole time, while hundreds of 'No thanks' banners were in the background. Then right after they had this 10-min segment of a paid actor walking around in a fucking university, wearing a suit and waxing lyrical about how the union is sacred and without England Scotland would have been taken over by terrorists (WTF?)

Everyone in the room was pure raging. I don't watch BBC anymore tbh.

Yeah. This is the kind of thing that really got people's backs up - it was pretty constant. It's not the kind of stuff you see in the actual online articles (maybe they have different editors there) but in terms of actual political TV reporting they were very partial. Their interviewers tended to be quite partial too.

Paris in terror.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jan/07/shooting-paris-satirical-magazine-charlie-hebdo

I don't know why Islamists didn't start doing this sooner. Rather than sending young men in to sacrifice themselves in bomb attacks you can terrorise Europeans far more with gun fire from illegally acquired weapons - and you can even get away sometimes then come back and do a suicide bombing or join IS in the Middle East. It's much easier to get something like an AK on the black market in Europe than people realise, the only thing that has really protected us has been the stupidity of the terrorists. If they start getting smart like the IRA we would be in a hell of a position.

Their latest "islam mocking" caricature was of an Islamic State guy cutting muhammad head off. muslims should praise that caricature that is basically pro Islam (Or at least, draws a clear distinction between Islam and Islamic State), but, well, it might be that those were terrorists that are pro Islamic State, which then makes sense.

https://arunwithaview.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/charlie-hebdo-on-isis/

No. Virtually no Muslims, even moderate, would support that image because it's an image of the Prophet. People are funny about the Ottoman portrayals of Muhammad and they're actually very flattering and pleasant. That's a Simpsons-like caricature of their holiest figure getting his head cut off.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:59:43 am by Owlbread »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:02 am »

2 police agents were killed in the attack, so the office was guarded (as it has been since they printed a few muhammed cartoons a few years back).

Nope, they were first responders. I don't think that kind of attack was actually taken seriously.

A loony with an axe suddently discovering a burning passion for Ismamist terrorism after his 15em long term visit in a psychiatric hospital yes, but not an attack in the middle of the day by several well armed men.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:18 am »

I don't know why Islamists didn't start doing this sooner.
My assumption is a fear of retaliation. I mean real retaliation with hundreds of random European Muslims dead. They judge by themselves, don't forget that.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:35 am »

My assumption is a fear of retaliation. I mean real retaliation with hundreds of random European Muslims dead. They judge by themselves, don't forget that.

They do but radical Islamists were happy to use suicide bombers. Why not use those carefully trained cells like the IRA did, operating in a single area and doing whatever they could? I know the objective is to shock and instill terror with huge numbers of casualties in a civilian area, while the IRA were primarily trying to kill UK security services one or two at a time in an attempt to drive them out of Ireland. The IRA could run up in the street and shoot a police officer at close range with a pistol then disappear without getting caught. Islamists have different objectives.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:12:38 am by Owlbread »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: January 07, 2015, 08:16:48 am »

No. Virtually no Muslims, even moderate, would support that image because it's an image of the Prophet. People are funny about the Ottoman portrayals of Muhammad and they're actually very flattering and pleasant. That's a Simpsons-like caricature of their holiest figure getting his head cut off.

If that's true, and i very much doubt so, then there is no big difference between "Muslims" and Islamic state muslims. if a man can't tolerate a caricature that actually mocks an organization that is destroying his religion's reputation just because it portraits his prophet in a funny way, then he is just as an extremist.

Warning. very hard watching material

These are trained, experienced, cold blooded killers. most probably Islamic State terrorists coming home after a tour in Iraq/Syria.

They do but radical Islamists were happy to use suicide bombers. Why not use those carefully trained cells like the IRA did, operating in a single area and doing whatever they could? I know the objective is to shock and instill terror with huge numbers of casualties in a civilian area, while the IRA were primarily trying to kill UK security services one or two at a time in an attempt to drive them out of Ireland. The IRA could run up in the street and shoot a police officer at close range with a pistol then disappear without getting caught. Islamists have different objectives.

Its far easier to just strap a poor kid and send him to blow himself up than send trained operatives that know how to shoot and kill effectively. now that they basically have freedom of movement into europe thanks to Turkey, they are not short on terrorists trained in real battlefields.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:19:15 am by Vilanat »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:10 am »

More to the point, Islamic terrorism has largely been created those last years.

9/11 was an huge advertising coup, showing that they were "stronk" and could give American a bllody nose. Most of the kids in the gettho don't follow Islam exept by not eating pork (they sure drink alcohol), but they are bored out of their mind and have very few prospects. And with rather good reason : education level is rather abysmal in there.
It's a social problem that is beginning to fester because it was left unattendded. Islamism is just a symptom.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: January 07, 2015, 08:32:48 am »

Why are you even supporting terrorism?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:45 am »

Spoiler: In reply to Vilanat (click to show/hide)

Excuse me? How in god's name am I supporting terrorism?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:46:07 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: January 07, 2015, 08:42:51 am »

Spoiler: In reply to Vilanat (click to show/hide)

Excuse me? How in god's name am I supporting terrorism?

You're saying that they should act like the IRA. Maybe it's just me being early morning brain.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: January 07, 2015, 08:45:26 am »

You're saying that they should act like the IRA. Maybe it's just me being early morning brain.

It is. I don't support the IRA, nor do I support Islamic extremists. I'm just making a comment in the same vein as something like "I don't know why the Nazis had to invade the USSR - why couldn't they just XYZ". I'm also commenting on how screwed we are if terrorists decide to make European streets open war zones - like the IRA did. They intentionally created the impression of a warzone by putting up home-made road signs like this:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:07:39 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1393