Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1625009 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13830 on: January 07, 2015, 10:14:20 am »

Phmcw: I don't know where you live, but I know no-one who is more worried of far-left terrorist plots than of islamist terrorists.

I believe he's Belgian.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: January 07, 2015, 10:15:04 am »

Well, actually I even know in which city he lives, that was rhetorical.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:36 am »

Yeah, just because we aren't as crazy about guns as you lot doesn't mean we don't have any. And what worries me is groups of radicals taking things into their own hands and going into a muslim populated area to "show them" which can only end poorly for everyone involved.

What I'm even more worried is B&H, partly because I and pretty much everyone I know lives there and partly because things are still tense between all the groups. I'd like to think that the horrors from twenty years back can't repeat but it can get a bit hard to do so at times.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:44 am »

Phmcw: I don't know where you live, but I know no-one who is more worried of far-left terrorist plots than of islamist terrorists.

Go to right wing communities, you'll see. Even in the bottom of the bottom of racist forums they claim the left and jews are using the Muslims as puppets.

But the regular right is worried about "the irresponsible management of the left" and "the rise of the far left like Syrisa". Meanwhile well educated youth strugle to find a job and buy an house, so you can imagine the athmosphere here. Especially since the time between ending your studies and finding a job can be so long even after college.
If your parrent are middle class that's ok, if they are not... and that if you managed to get marketable skills which isn't even the majority of the peoples that were in my high school.
Radicalisation is a real threath.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: January 07, 2015, 10:24:02 am »

What do you advocate? Killing muslims at random in reprisal?

Don't think he's advocating it but I think it would be a rather likely outcome.
Exactly. Assuming that in case of major terror tolerance will remain a thing is naive. Sporadic actions like this one are unlikely to get the same kind of answer but regular regular attacks will throw a lot of shit on the fan.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:32 am »

I don't remember random shooting of Irish when the IRA was active.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: January 07, 2015, 10:29:56 am »

With the IRA acting like that, I can't imagine that they'd have been very popular with people who would otherwise support or sympathize with them in the areas that they were active.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:34 am »

So, I guess the only real change is more people supporting La Pen's party.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:15 am »

With the IRA acting like that, I can't imagine that they'd have been very popular with people who would otherwise support or sympathize with them in the areas that they were active.

Actually the IRA only lasted as long as they did because of their enduring popularity. In South Armagh the local populace saw the British as an occupation force. The IRA acted as police in many areas because the British police were so Sectarian and abusive to Catholics. At one point the UK stopped sending any police to Republican areas because the IRA could handle it and the British troops/police just caused problems.

The IRA gradually lost support as fatigue set in, they fractured into all the splinter groups that became like gangs (inter-Republican violence was more common towards the end than killing British soldiers) and they targeted civilians more often.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:05:10 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: January 07, 2015, 11:00:58 am »

John Kerry speaks french apparently, didn't know that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: January 07, 2015, 11:02:15 am »

So, I guess the only real change is more people supporting La Pen's party.

Oh, this remind me of the single worst bilingual joke I know.

So Le Pen's giving a lot of speech all over France, raising shadow Kremlin money etc etc... So she's really tired and decide not to go at a meeting of nationalist parties in Flanders. When asked why, she says "Le Pen is moe".

(In french, Le penis mou, pronounced roughly the same, means "the soft penis")

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: January 07, 2015, 11:04:48 am »

Penis is pronounced and spelled the same in French as in English? lol. Or maybe the word itself has french origins, no idea. Wouldn't be surprised.

I get the bilingual joke though.

and uh, 'shadow kremlin money'? I'm guessing that's some sort of Belgian politics thing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:07:29 am by smjjames »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: January 07, 2015, 11:12:20 am »

Thing is, Muslims are too small a minority to stand a chance in actual warfare. They'd be crushed, brutally.

Not that the terrorists would care. God will know his own, after all.

Ninja: smj, guns aren't as common, but they're availible. Everyone knows someone who knows someone in the US - IRA-style imports wouldn't be hard to organize.

That's only if you assume muslims will conveniently gather themselves up to become a clear and easy target. that's probably not the case and i don't think Europe could handle it if even only 1% of all muslims decided one day they want to kill non-muslims. that's tens of thousands of people that can hide themselves in the local population and conduct a guerilla warfare that regular armies find extremely hard to win.

Also, if you look at the big european cities, the percentages there are far higher, to the point where i believe the aging non-muslims europeans could actually lose control of key cities such as Brussels, Marseille, Stockholm, Barcelona and Amsterdam if there was such an imaginary war between muslims and non-muslims.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #13843 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:56 am »

Don't think he's advocating it but I think it would be a rather likely outcome.
Exactly. Assuming that in case of major terror tolerance will remain a thing is naive. Sporadic actions like this one are unlikely to get the same kind of answer but regular regular attacks will throw a lot of shit on the fan.
I'll have to side with this pessimistic outlook here. Maybe not outright mob-lynching of random Muslim individuals but that whole anti-Islamisation thing I was raging about less than 24h ago (ffs what are the chances) will only grow stronger with people frothing around their mouth crying "See?!? SEE?!! We TOLD you Islam = BAD!" instead of trying to solve this like rational adults.

In regards to IRA: I'll confess that I know less about the whole conflict than I'd like to but religion also played important part during the Troubles, no? And again, I don't know the details, but I'll make a guess and say that these days Muslim communities are still considered more alien in lots of European countries and thus more "problematic" than Catholic/Anglican communities in (Northern) Ireland. So that's why, personally, think this situation is more of a hot kettle than the Irish one.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:45 am »

Penis is pronounced and spelled the same in French as in English? lol. Or maybe the word itself has french origins, no idea. Wouldn't be surprised.

I get the bilingual joke though.

and uh, 'shadow kremlin money'? I'm guessing that's some sort of Belgian politics thing.
Moe is Dutch for "tired" and is is dutch for, well, is.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1393