Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1639526 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13920 on: January 08, 2015, 03:24:20 am »

They might had simply paid him to drive them around. that does not make him innocent but, if he is involved, maybe he didn't even had a clue why and for what they were using him. if he is not a half brain he could have probably figured out it wasn't for carrying shopping bags, but a paid getaway driver probably wont have too much useful information to give.

It might have nothing to do with the terror attack, but paris is having a seriously bad week
http://www.startribune.com/world/287885641.html

Live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BFwedk4dBCc

Edit:
Not sure if that source is valid, but it says the shooter fired from an automatic rifle and was wearing a bullet proof vest:
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/world/europe/story/paris-shooting-police-officer-wounded-southern-paris-shootout-source-2015010
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:52:37 am by Vilanat »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:53 am »

Yeah, it looks like over the night some news agencies held it for sure that they had all been caught for several hours. 1 (who may not have been directly involved) down, 2 to go so far.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:24 am »

So far one suspect surrendered to the police after seeing his name in the news, it is not sure that he was actually involved (probably not) but he will be surely interrogated for info.

The list of victims has been issued adding a fifth cartoonist, an economist, one janitor and employees.

There was another shooting at the south of Paris. It is not confirmed if it's related but one policeman is in coma.

Extreme right leader asked for a referendum on death penalty because 'in her opinion there should be one', condemning terrorists to death... good job with that.

Anyway news are getting bullcrappy so I guess we'll only know when the suspects are caught, seeing the special brigade sent after them that's likely.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:21 am »

Well, you need to find them before arresting them, and that's not done yet. Also, that's just PR banter with the death penalty. It's banned at the EU level.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #13924 on: January 08, 2015, 04:27:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that didn't take long...
I will say most of them actually made me laugh. They were the "good" type of satire. One thing I disliked about the comics that came from that newspaper (or at least the comics I saw) was just... I didn't find them funny. Nor satirical. They just felt like a cheap shot at stereotypes.

Still, not being funny is not really a reason to get killed.

In the meantime: BBC report 7 people have also been detained questioning.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: January 08, 2015, 06:34:33 am »

Meanwhile, a mosque has been vandalized with training grenades. It's just arson for now, which is good or at least better than the alternative, but nothing says it will stay that way. I expect it not to escalate further at once though.

The governement'd better react fast and hard, though. We're not at the "anything is possible stage" yet, but we're closer to it than peoples realize, especially college-educated peoples.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: January 08, 2015, 06:49:07 am »

I can't link as I'm on my phone at work reading the Guardian/BBC liveblogs, but there was an AFP tweet reporting multiple attacks on Mosques, source stated as 'officials', and unsourced reports of an explosion at a kebab shop.

BTW, there was some discussion the other day of sensible responses. In the medium term one would be actively supporting liberal Muslims in their arguments. Simply attacking Islam from outside seems futile to me, but encouraging reformists (even revisionists) seems a workable way to combat extremist groups.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:09 am »

I can't link as I'm on my phone at work reading the Guardian/BBC liveblogs, but there was an AFP tweet reporting multiple attacks on Mosques, source stated as 'officials', and unsourced reports of an explosion at a kebab shop.

BTW, there was some discussion the other day of sensible responses. In the medium term one would be actively supporting liberal Muslims in their arguments. Simply attacking Islam from outside seems futile to me, but encouraging reformists (even revisionists) seems a workable way to combat extremist groups.

The problem is less radical Islam than a fertile ground for radicalism. I mean the problem right now is radical Islam, but like Nazism is born from the great depression, radical Islam (in Europe) is born in the boredom and ignorance of the banlieues. You won't get far without solving that.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:25 am »

nonono it's not "us" or "them". Many many muslims are on your side. A vast majority of them do not support this kind of act. This is not a war between two types of people, we are all in this together. These were extremists.

What about the prophet himself? Would he have been on our side, too? Or on the side of the terrorists? In between raiding caravans, killing unarmed prisoners with his own sword, raping women, molesting Aisha who was a 9 year-old child, and ordering the murder of Asma bint Marwan the poetess for writing a insulting poem about him?

Would the prophet have stood with all those muslims who reject violence? There is a fundamental difference between Christians and Muslims. Look to their prophets that are held as exemplifying proper conduct. One held a bloodied sword and did the deeds himself, while he spilled violent words like as though his mouth was a rvier of hate. The other only has a few ambiguous quotes when taken out of context in otherwise rock-solid history of peace.

Loka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:54 am »

Same could be said of a lot of religions. Christianity, for example. Look at the old testament.

I anticipated that overplayed response. I didn't quite anticipate how oblivious it would be, but I knew it was coming.  Jesus was not a caravn bandit who did bloody deeds. You can't get around that, so you ignore it. Whatever evil that people do in the name of Christianity can safely be said to not resemble Jesus himself, yet with Muhammed, you can't speak as confidently... can you now?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: January 08, 2015, 07:20:08 am »

Escaped Lunatic

I know I am also anticipating something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:11 am »

Ok, this is a political thread, not a "Bad Theology thread". If you want to go and discuss how Islam has raping babies in its DNA, do your own thread and get banned somewhere else.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:43 am »

Escaped Lunatic

I know I am also anticipating something.

y'know

i'm pretty tired of people dismissing shit because the guy posting it is new

this isn't a fucking secret treehouse m9-1 if you are anticipating something then press that report button and move on with your life

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: January 08, 2015, 07:22:32 am »

some of the assumptions here disturb me. The belief that tens of thousands of european muslims (that's awful lot,) are just terrorists waiting to attack, and then those many muslims have a supportive community to hide in.

That's fear and hate mongering. That's being afraid of dusky skinned people who don't look and think like you.

Do not let bad things happening make you afraid of people that are not white and christian. I saw the US after 911, it was a bad place to be  amuslim or an arab. It was a bad place in general. And we did bad things. Don't be the US.

Seriously, this is getting annoying. Hundreds of youth have gone in Syria to support Isis form Belgium alone. We do have at least several thousands extrmists on our soils, that much is a fact.

I live right in the middle of it all, and it's not brilliant. Not a disaster yet but not brilliant.
As for being the US we don't get much choices thanks to your country merciless lobbying and pressure. With the TITP coming our states will be starved for funds even more, giving us even less tools but violence and opression to solve the situation.

Same could be said of a lot of religions. Christianity, for example. Look at the old testament.

I anticipated that overplayed response. I didn't quite anticipate how oblivious it would be, but I knew it was coming.  Jesus was not a caravn bandit who did bloody deeds. You can't get around that, so you ignore it. Whatever evil that people do in the name of Christianity can safely be said to not resemble Jesus himself, yet with Muhammed, you can't speak as confidently... can you now?

I know moderate and progressive Muslims, it doesn't matter what is in the Koran, just like it doesn't matter what is in the bible.
At the end of the day, the bible state explicitely that you must kill homosexual, adulterers,... and not kill pretty much everyone else, and peoples find their way around it all.
Moderate muslims use the same kind of argument to avoid the problematic passages as christians use to avoid the leviticus or the very, very clear passage on the obligation to live in poverty.

Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1393