Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1639219 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13935 on: January 08, 2015, 07:25:10 am »

Escaped Lunatic

I know I am also anticipating something.

y'know

i'm pretty tired of people dismissing shit because the guy posting it is new

this isn't a fucking secret treehouse m9-1 if you are anticipating something then press that report button and move on with your life

Of course not. New accounts with confrontational opinions just happen to hop in once a discussion turns into being about one of the certain hot subjects.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: January 08, 2015, 07:32:49 am »

So, a bomb in front of a kebab restaurant near a Mosque in Villefranche. A mosque in Le Mans got shot at, and a few practice grenade were thrown. Two shots fire on a praying room in Port-La-Nouvelle... Some people just are dumb.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13937 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:38 am »

Escaped Lunatic

I know I am also anticipating something.

y'know

i'm pretty tired of people dismissing shit because the guy posting it is new

this isn't a fucking secret treehouse m9-1 if you are anticipating something then press that report button and move on with your life

I think it is unlikely a new person - the account is from 2013. It's either a lurker or, which is more likely to be true, somebody's alt account.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13938 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:27 am »

Can we try to keep the statements about religion out of this thread? I've seen two flat-out wrong statements about Christianity alone in the last page, but I don't want to derail the thread.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: January 08, 2015, 08:37:56 am »

Can we try to keep the statements about religion out of this thread? I've seen two flat-out wrong statements about Christianity alone in the last page, but I don't want to derail the thread.
Seconded, theres a few points I could rebut on both sides of that argument which I'm not even going to mention because it's just fuel on the fire.
Which is relevant to the topic actually, while I applaud the right of people to speak freely against oppression despite personal risk, do people have the right to sling hatred and intolerance towards those who are full of hatred and intolerance, knowing that innocent people may die as a result of their retaliation? It would be horrible if a few 'innocent cartoons' becomes the trigger of massive civil unrest all over Europe, with radicals of all religions ignoring common sense and even their own beliefs in order to enact bloody revenge against each other, and innocents alike.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13940 on: January 08, 2015, 08:45:42 am »

Well, what's the alternative? Giving anyone willing to kill effective veto over whatever is said or printed?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: January 08, 2015, 09:11:03 am »

Still it's usefull to remind peoples that this kind of things happen every other month in the US.
So don't get all "Islam is the utlimate threath", this is a far cry from Colombine and other things that will happen if we trade our cohesive societies for American style repression and soulless governance.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:23:03 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: January 08, 2015, 10:31:53 am »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:46 am »

I'm going to add my voice to those saying that the religion derail needs to end since this is a political thread.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13945 on: January 08, 2015, 10:41:33 am »

Fortunately, the actual religion part seems to have stopped.

I think the response of countries to extremism is fine. If we get into discussing extremism and religion themselves, it's a derail.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:11 am »

They seem to think that the two suspects are maybe in a rural town. And yeah, the 18 year old was at school at the time of the shooting, which raise questions as to why he's a suspect.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:10:54 am by smjjames »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #13947 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:31 am »

Theoretically it's completely reasonable that he could have been involved in either some pre-attack actions (acquiring information or maybe materials) or post-attack ones (providing possible hideout, spreading misinformation). Of course, at this point, this is just baseless speculation.

do people have the right to sling hatred and intolerance towards those who are full of hatred and intolerance, knowing that innocent people may die as a result of their retaliation?
I would lean towards "Yes", but I do see how this could be a slippery slope. In my mind any actions that are hateful and hurtful in it's purpose and target an innocent people (if, for the sake of an example, we define innocence in this case as people without such hateful actions in mind) should not be tolerated and should be, in turn, stopped at all cost, even if this means intolerance towards intolerance. Still, such thinking can quickly be hijacked be radicals on both sides, either people being intolerant towards one group of people as whole even though it's the minority that's problematic (see "anti-Islamisation") or by people who in turn accuse you of being hypocrite. And if there is an actual possibility that innocent people WILL die in the crossfire, things just get more hairy.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13948 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:45 am »

And yeah, the 18 year old was at school at the time of the shooting, which raise questions as to why he's a suspect.
He seems to be the brother-in-law of one of the other two. Also it seems that they all left their ID-cards in their car, maybe that's why.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13949 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:47 am »

Are you certain that's Banksy's?

regardless, its simply brilliant.

They seem to think that the two suspects are maybe in a rural town. And yeah, the 18 year old was at school at the time of the shooting, which raise questions as to why he's a suspect.

Is it verified he was at school? i thought he was an homeless guy (Well, i guess homeless can also go to school, but it just sounds unlikely)
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1393