Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1625059 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14025 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:36 am »

Also, there are already news coming from parts of France about mosques being attacked, IIRC one was burned, other defaced with racist graffiti. There was also an explosion in one kebab shop.

Actually, not really. One of the incident was a accidental, and racist graffitis are not so rare in France so...only one "real" attack, and  the mosque wasn't "burned". It was a small grenade launched against it.

I know it would be horrible to say this and I don't support it, but how long before churches get attacked? Those mosques getting attacked is just ripe for retaliation.

I think this will really not happen. Churches are not considered as the issue and France never was attacked because it was "Catholic". It's more "Islam against "system" " or "Occident" than "Islam against Catholicism", as most people in France don't feel Catholic at all (and, even if they do, they really seldom go to church). Churches during mass look like nursing home. That's why it's more likely Schools, Newspaper, Police station or town halls.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: January 09, 2015, 09:23:11 am »

Why do many people here have such a boner for total freedom of expression? Some limits simply are sensible.

but what are these limits

no, really, riddle me that

if you go "don't praise totalitarian ideologies" or things of the sort like they go in eastern european places that's pretty clear-cut but in other cases the definitions go from more-or-less defined to straight up nebulous and i don't trust the powers that be to not pull a 360 and slam their boot through the legal system with selective enforcement when it favors whoever gets elected

not even don't be a dick applies because being a dick is a subjective thing in this day and age

to note, i don't have anything against the legislation as quoted, i just have a pretty huge bone to pick with people pushing for censoring anything be it the internet or artists or whatever
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:25:42 am by LordSlowpoke »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: January 09, 2015, 09:27:08 am »

Dude, look at the text of the law I posted - that's precisely the limit I'd consider sensible.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:48 am »

so... the issue is nowhere

fair 'nuff

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14029 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:37 am »

Actually, not really. One of the incident was a accidental, and racist graffitis are not so rare in France so...only one "real" attack, and  the mosque wasn't "burned". It was a small grenade launched against it.
Ah, my bad then, probably misheard what was being said. I was sure some sort of "burning" was mentioned, but oh well.

Also, there are already 2 people dead in Paris in hostage situation in kosher market; suspect is confirmed to be the gunman from yesterday attack on policewoman.

LordSlowpoke: something something common sense something something basic human decency

I wish it would be that easy.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:36:12 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: January 09, 2015, 09:35:07 am »

I really don't see why you say this. No one is being "edgy".

Okay, so making a movie which portrays the Holocaust as something fun and laugh-worthy is totally allowed under that ideology, right?

...and Rawanda, and 9/11, and child molesters, yes.

Nothing is off the table.

EDIT:
Also serial killers, hurricane katrina, hurricane sandy, the republican party, guantanamo bay, mkultra, the tet offensive, slavery, the chicago fire, the antebellum south, stalin's purges, mao's purges, tiennamen square, rapists, the patriot act, sweatshops, child labor, endangered species, and dead babies.

There's a difference between arguing that nobody should have to fear for their safety because of something they wrote and "We should offend people! Look at how many offensive movie ideas I'd be okay with!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: January 09, 2015, 10:01:29 am »

You know, if they're saying that one of the two hostage takers in the kosher supermarket was the third person involved in the charlie hebdo attack, then what did that 18 year old have to do with the whole thing?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:40 am »

They are saying that? from what i understood they are saying he is linked to the two brother and that he is the man who shot the policewoman, but i didn't see anywhere they're saying he was in the charlie hebdo attack.

Edit:
And to lighten up the atmosphere a little:

Ah damn, the video was removed. it was showing a dozen french policemen trying to climb a grassy hill and failing comically.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:18:21 am by Vilanat »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:31 am »

It's not 100% clear to me either anyway.

CNN is saying that the man in the second one was involved in the charlie hebdo attack somehow, but as is normal for this situation, details are sketchy.

Edit: Your video was removed by the user.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:28 am »

Yes, he is linked to the three men. Yes, the man of yesterday (who shot the policewoman) is the man of today (in the supermarket). But no, he was probably not involved in the CH attack.

It is yet unclear that there were 3 people in the attack.

I hope ( but very unsure, considering the situation) that they will be taken alive.

Anyway, there are probably more than 3 people in this operation, and there were a few arrests today, and I expect there are more in the following days...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:28:22 am by Inarius »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: January 09, 2015, 10:40:30 am »

http://news.sky.com/story/1404969/at-least-six-hostages-in-paris-supermarket

The supermarket hostage taker is threatening to kill the hostages if the police will storm the factory where the two terrorists are.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: January 09, 2015, 10:48:01 am »

I don't get why law enforcment folks don't have sleeping gas handy. Just hook up the enire damn building sneakily onto the giant tank and put everybody inside to sleep, then just walk in and cuff the bad guys.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:56 am »

I know it would be horrible to say this and I don't support it, but how long before churches get attacked? Those mosques getting attacked is just ripe for retaliation.

Lots of Christians have actually been in the same boat as the Muslims as far as getting insulted and generally demonized by the secular side, which is who the extremists are REALLY angry at right now. That's not to say that they won't jump in at any opportunity to make the day of their rivals unpleasant, but they'd need more power then they currently have in France (at least I hope) before they start razing.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:22 am »

Go ahead, awaken the French. That's a good idea. Hope the hostage takers are dealt with swiftly and the French nation responds to this act of war appropriately. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a sea change in France.

Assault being launched. Godspeed to the forces and hope the cowards don't get any change to kill hostages.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:00:19 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:58 am »

I don't get why law enforcment folks don't have sleeping gas handy. Just hook up the enire damn building sneakily onto the giant tank and put everybody inside to sleep, then just walk in and cuff the bad guys.
Russian special forces tried that during the Nord-Ost hostage crisis in Moscow in 2002. It didn't work well.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1393