Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1625299 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14295 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:26 pm »

GMO's as a concept are fantastic, and probably the best shot we have at keeping people fed into the future. They just happen to be under near monopoly control by some of the most cartoonishly evil organizations of our time.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:39 pm »

GMO's as a concept are fantastic, and probably the best shot we have at keeping people fed into the future. They just happen to be under near monopoly control by some of the most cartoonishly evil organizations of our time.

QFT
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14297 on: January 13, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

somehow i don't get that feel of islamophobia in france

what with the ahmed (the policemen that was killed by extremists) being muslim and all

but somebody (read USA and Britain) has certainly been trying to make it look like that.
._.

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: January 13, 2015, 02:27:47 pm »

Agreed there. There have been a few incidents, but I definitely expected worse than that.

Still...

What if that was the whole point? An attack on a media institution that mocks religion in order to up Islamophobia and create an environment ideal for radicalization of the more right-leaning Muslims doesn't seem too far-fetched.

I tend to agree with this. It may or may not be successful, but I think it is what they were attempting.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14299 on: January 13, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »

On a side note, did anything happen to all those extra power Scotland was promised?

Yeah we got control over road signs.

Don't knock it - we have been using that power for years to annoy and confuse the fuck over anyone who dares venture on to our excuse for a road network. Use it wisely.

Spoiler: Where? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: What direction? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Huh? (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14300 on: January 13, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »

what with the ahmed (the policemen that was killed by extremists) being muslim and all

but somebody (read USA and Britain) has certainly been trying to make it look like that.

I also think so. that's why i am puzzled when the very first thing after such a terror attack is a movement to denounce islamophobia while anti-semitism is the real problem of france.

About the intention of that terror attack: i disagree. the point was only to scare and revenge journalists and kill some jews, because why not. it was also done to inspire other radical muslims, yes, but i don't think they counted on islamophobia to indirectly do so, they counted on their own direct actions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14301 on: January 13, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »

Damnit Welsh, would it kill you to use vowels?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14302 on: January 13, 2015, 02:45:40 pm »

Small question, possibly unrelated to the thread: Is Welsh commonly used as a language in Wales? As in, is it used as an everyday language instead of English?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14303 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:02 pm »

Small question, possibly unrelated to the thread: Is Welsh commonly used as a language in Wales? As in, is it used as an everyday language instead of English?

Yes, though this varies by region. You are more likley to hear Welsh in the North and West of the country, and less likely in the South and East.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14304 on: January 13, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »

Yes, though this varies by region. You are more likley to hear Welsh in the North and West of the country, and less likely in the South and East.

You will find that a few thousand people speak Gaelic on a daily basis in certain parts of Scotland such as the North of Lewis instead of English.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14305 on: January 13, 2015, 04:27:11 pm »

I'd possibly join a protest against it. I don't mind GMO, I mind GMO companies being money grubbing assholes.

I'd need to look into the laws to see if they'd be allowed to pull the whole 'sue farmer for wind pollination' shit that can happen in America over here before deciding.
Actually, if you look into that wind pollination issue more closely, you'll find that Monsanto was right. Basically, what the farmer did was finding that his field was contaminated, then sprayed his field with Roundup(thus killing all the non modified plants), gathered the seeds that survived, and used them for next year. I mean, he ended up with a 97% Monsanto crop contamination, hardly accidental.

On a side note, Monsanto also made a good case that the original contaminiation  also wasn't an accident, though they dropped that part of the case.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc_v_Schmeiser

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14306 on: January 13, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »

Yeah, what 10ebbor10 said.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14307 on: January 13, 2015, 04:31:17 pm »

Still, it's piss worthy one can basically patent food.

Also, studies (a.k.a. American turist visiting and staying in EU) show Americans are surprised how actually tasty our non-GMO fruit/vegetables are so there. :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14308 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:35 pm »

Well, it depends. Patenting individual genes is silly, but varieties? Why not? They're the product of human design after all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14309 on: January 13, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »

Also, studies (a.k.a. American turist visiting and staying in EU) show Americans are surprised how actually tasty our non-GMO fruit/vegetables are so there. :P
That's unrelated to GMO technology, and actually related to agri-industrial complex. If anything, GMO's have improved taste.

Also Consumerism preferring better looking food over edible food.
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1393