Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1639806 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15135 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:17 am »

We value everyone here as a part of the family.  As long as we know who the head of the house is around here.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15136 on: March 06, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

It's shite being Scottish.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15137 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

You know, this kind of thing just smacks of the British version of "American Exceptionalism."

"Oh yes, We LOVE you Scottland! Please don't go! (We get our jollies keeping you pushed down and under our thumb!)"

Or

"OMG, you mean we might actually have a Scottish dominated parliament (and or, prime minister) some day!? Oh noes! Our centuries worth of asshattery will doom us all!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15138 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:28 am »

You know, this kind of thing just smacks of the British version of "American Exceptionalism."

I'm not sure you're grasping what American Exceptionalism is about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15139 on: March 06, 2015, 11:20:38 am »

Yeah, and, America is mostly just Britain Plus. The smoother, crisper flavor.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15140 on: March 06, 2015, 12:19:05 pm »

Oh, but I do.  It extends beyond just "I'm an american, so I deserve magically higher wages!", and sprawls into the territory of "I'm an american, the rest of the world is just my own personal walmart."  You know, the whole "Sweatshop labor? Who cares, as long as the price is cheap" thing, coupled with wars for oil, and other such fun things.  All the same clam-bake.

"We love China! They make all our cheap plastic crap!"

In this case though, it's British people culturally acting the same way, except with the people they have historically bullied.  The previous statement about the US just being Britian-Plus-One is pretty spot on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:21:02 pm by wierd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15141 on: March 06, 2015, 12:26:17 pm »

Oh, but I do.  It extends beyond just "I'm an american, so I deserve magically higher wages!", and sprawls into the territory of "I'm an american, the rest of the world is just my own personal walmart."  You know, the whole "Sweatshop labor? Who cares, as long as the price is cheap" thing, coupled with wars for oil, and other such fun things.  All the same clam-bake.

"We love China! They make all our cheap plastic crap!"

In this case though, it's British people culturally acting the same way, except with the people they have historically bullied.  The previous statement about the US just being Britian-Plus-One is pretty spot on.

That's a whole lot of stereotypes about America, but that's not what American Exceptionalism means.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15142 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:46 pm »

So you are referring to the political theory version, where the US was founded on free enterprise, and republican rule?

From wikipedia
American exceptionalism is the theory that the United States is qualitatively different from other nations.[2] In this view, U.S. exceptionalism stems from its emergence from the American Revolution, thereby becoming what political scientist Seymour Martin Lipset called "the first new nation"[3] and developing a uniquely American ideology, "Americanism", based on liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, republicanism, democracy and laissez-faire. This ideology itself is often referred to as "American exceptionalism."[4]

This is just nationalistic sensationalism, on par with the British notion of Empire from the day.  While it's true that the British version had more of a feudal flavor involved, and the US version has a more Fascist overtone, the basic notion at work is the same. "My nationality is the bestest ever, and deserving exceptional treatment because [convenient reason]." You'll find it everywhere that there is a strong government trying to justify its political actions against political rivals. I prefer the more generic moniker of "Nationalism," personally.

In the scope of it describing some uniqueness to the "american way of doing things" (culture, art, philosophy, whatever), it still is just puffery.  Yes, the US way is unique. Just like all the others. The US is NOT the first country to try rule by plutocracy (originally through republicanism)--  Rome did it first. It lasted a while, but didnt end well. Same issues with nationalism.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:40:27 pm by wierd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15143 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »

I don't really think it has to do with preferential treatment (at least in our understanding.) It IS about the US being god's gift to the world, how everything we do is better than other people doing the same thing, ect....But I don't know if in our understanding it's ever been about how people treat us or what we get; it's how we view ourselves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15144 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:09 pm »

Exactly!

The British view themselves as being somehow innately better at governance than the Scotts, despite the two having co-habitated and integrated with each other to such a degree that the differences are pretty superficial.  There's pride in heritage, and that's about it. Still just petty nationalism in convenient wrapper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15145 on: March 06, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

"Scots ruling England" would be an interesting way to solve both the independence and devolution problems at once.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15146 on: March 06, 2015, 03:49:48 pm »

I was unaware that enjoying high buying power when trading with the 3rd world was an exclusively American trait.  I guess it must be that Europeans buy the exact same tube socks and iphone covers that are made in China but it doesn't count because they dont have as large a military?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15147 on: March 06, 2015, 06:44:18 pm »

"Scots ruling England" would be an interesting way to solve both the independence and devolution problems at once.
I, for one, support our Scottanian overlords.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15148 on: March 06, 2015, 10:49:07 pm »

Just Jumping back to the textbook discussion from yesterday:
1000$ Tv Stand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pearson is doing well at that college.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: March 07, 2015, 01:14:18 am »

Just Jumping back to the textbook discussion from yesterday:
1000$ Tv Stand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pearson is doing well at that college.
My University Physics is still serving me well, keeping my monitor at a decent height.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 1393