Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1647069 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18930 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:30 am »

Let's be honest here, if Eeyore wrote an autobiography, he would name it 'My Struggle'...
This is going to turn into one of those edgy reimaginings of childhood classics

Characteristic letter "Ъ" at the end of a word practically screams "Imperial Russia" period, too. There are no words ending with "Ъ" in modern Russian language, you know. Not since 1930s.
Sweden confirmed for Russian clay

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18931 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15:18 am »

Umm, actually, yeah, see this one:

Still, I wonder what it was doing there. Sweden was not a participant in WWI either.

edit: I've personally all but given up on analysing what Kremlin says or doesnt say.
According to Russian wikipedia, the Swedish steamship "Ingerman-land" (or something close to that) has accidentally run it over while it was submerged.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18932 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:20 am »

It seems that the location of the sub was known among divers for about a year, and this same diver group was the one that found the "Baltic UFO" (that turned out to be the concrete base of a long broken submarine trap or an actual natural geological formation) some years ago and similarly leaked information bit by bit to keep up the hype and advertise itself.

They shouldnt have published the picture with the text. Lol.

EDIT: Heres their site: http://www.oceanexplorer.se/

Oh well. What a bunch of asses. Diplomatic situation avoided, at least, so that's good.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18933 on: July 28, 2015, 08:30:20 am »

Photo of the signature?

What it says is "to the newly wed couple, with the best wishes for a happy and blessed marriage.

Handed out at (date should have been written here, but I guess the Reichskommisar was too lazy or unaware of the exact time and date of the marriage to add the date after "am")

the Reichskommisar of the occupied Dutch territories."

The Reichskommisar for the occupied Netherlands was Arthur Seyss-Inquart, who was mockingly named kommisar six and a quarter (commissaris zes-en-een-kwart in Dutch) by the occupied Dutch population. That signature is really sloppy, but it could very well be his. At least the last 4 letters can be made out as 'wart'. In fact, it is almost certainly his signature, since he was the only Reichskommisar for the Netherlands. He got the job in 1940 just after the occupation, and kept it until the liberation of the Netherlands in 1945. After the war, he was sentenced to death by the Neurenberg trials, and hanged by the neck until death in 1946 for his role in the deportation and extermination of Dutch jews.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:42:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18934 on: July 28, 2015, 08:42:36 am »

Sounds like that thing is a valuable collector's item.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18935 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:01 am »

Sounds like that thing is a valuable collector's item.
Indeed.
You might want to contact the NIOD (Nederlands Instituut voor Oorlogs Documentatie, the prominent Dutch institute for history of war) about it, they will surely be interested to at least hear of it's existence, and might even be able to tell you to whom it was gifted. Not very likely, but you never know what they can tell you by just looking at the signature or layout.

I do not think it's very rare though, since it was a widely used policy by the German Overlords to give small attentions like this to people in the occupied territories that were sympathetic to the nazi cause.

http://www.niod.knaw.nl/en

http://www.niod.knaw.nl/en/don%E2%80%99t-throw-it-away
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:54:08 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18936 on: July 28, 2015, 09:12:28 am »

Nederlands Instituut voor Oorlogs Documentatie
I read that as Neanderthal Institute. Then I wondered what those oorlogs they'd been documenting were.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18937 on: July 28, 2015, 09:15:14 am »

Dank Nazi loot, reminds me of that one poor guy who accidentally sandpapered the luger his American grandfather had war looted from the Nazis

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18938 on: July 29, 2015, 04:47:34 am »

The EU was not supposed to touch French farmers, the EU was not supposed to do a lot of things. They did and now they're putting up roadblocks and fires.
At this point one can only make cheap puns about not crying over spilt milk.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18939 on: July 29, 2015, 05:04:20 am »

i guess it's time to make roadblocks illegal

honk

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18940 on: July 29, 2015, 06:53:29 pm »

Russia vetoed MH17 tribunal. It is soooo unexpected....
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18941 on: July 30, 2015, 04:40:21 am »

Sometimes I dont understand Russia Putin. UN committee would have confirming Ukraine's guilt and cleaned Russia's reputation, and people held responsible would be caught and punished!  :P

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18942 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:39 am »

Sometimes I dont understand Russia Putin. UN committee would have confirming Ukraine's guilt and cleaned Russia's reputation, and people held responsible would be caught and punished!  :P
The text of the vetoed resolution had an interesting titbit:

Acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations

Chapter VII of the UN Charter contains this:
CHAPTER VII: ACTION WITH RESPECT TO THREATS TO THE PEACE, BREACHES OF THE PEACE, AND ACTS OF AGGRESSION
Article 39
The Security Council shall determine the existence of any threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression and shall make recommendations, or decide what measures shall be taken in accordance with Articles 41 and 42, to maintain or restore international peace and security.

Article 40
In order to prevent an aggravation of the situation, the Security Council may, before making the recommendations or deciding upon the measures provided for in Article 39, call upon the parties concerned to comply with such provisional measures as it deems necessary or desirable. Such provisional measures shall be without prejudice to the rights, claims, or position of the parties concerned. The Security Council shall duly take account of failure to comply with such provisional measures.

Article 41
The Security Council may decide what measures not involving the use of armed force are to be employed to give effect to its decisions, and it may call upon the Members of the United Nations to apply such measures. These may include complete or partial interruption of economic relations and of rail, sea, air, postal, telegraphic, radio, and other means of communication, and the severance of diplomatic relations.

Article 42
Should the Security Council consider that measures provided for in Article 41 would be inadequate or have proved to be inadequate, it may take such action by air, sea, or land forces as may be necessary to maintain or restore international peace and security. Such action may include demonstrations, blockade, and other operations by air, sea, or land forces of Members of the United Nations.

Article 45
In order to enable the United Nations to take urgent military measures, Members shall hold immediately available national air-force contingents for combined international enforcement action. The strength and degree of readiness of these contingents and plans for their combined action shall be determined within the limits laid down in the special agreement or agreements referred to in Article 43, by the Security Council with the assistance of the Military Staff Committee.

Article 46
Plans for the application of armed force shall be made by the Security Council with the assistance of the Military Staff Committee.

Technically, the Tribunal could lead to a joint military invasion of the culprit country by a UN military coalition. Since it's really obvious that the blame for the shootdown will be put by the US and the EU on Russia, the Tribunal's resolutions could create a very big casus belli against Russia for the United States and its friends. Russia's veto powers in the UNSC wouldn't be much of an obstacle in case of that war, considering the UNSC bypassing skills shown by America in 1999 and 2003.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:28:30 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18943 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:12 am »

So, around we go and we're back to evil West/America wanting to take Russia's cookies?

If UNSC "casus belli" hasnt been needed before by anyone, why would that be the case this time?

Its just yet another mess that smells like Russian internal politics and Putin & CO's megalomania. Basically the world asked "who did it?" and Russia stood up waving both arms. (edit: though everyone including Russians themselves have known that since like 4 days after the incident, when the first photos became public)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:36:05 am by Erkki »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18944 on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:33 am »

Yeah, if we want a CB, we can just have Ukraine ask us for troops. Plus, this whole Chapter only refer to the UNSC, I dont see how the US could bypass it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 1393